Updating Gigabyte BIOS to run 5xxx CPU

Hi all,

I have a Gigabyte AB350 Gaming3 mobo and want to upgrade to a 5000 series CPU from my OG 1700. I need to update BIOS of course, am I right in thinking if I upgrade to the newest BIOS I can't use the 1700 any more? There doesn't seem to be anything on the F52i BIOS to say it can't and I can't only see on previous ones it says about Raven Ridge not being supported, but not Summit Ridge (I REALLY wish they could just stick to the actual series numbers and not the codenames).

I remember there being a thing about supporting the newer CPUs was at the expense of running the older CPUs but that doesn't seem to be the case or am I missing something?

To actually upgrade though, I understand I would update BIOS with newest version, then remove old CPU, install new CPU and reboot?

I can really see why people don't upgrade BIOS' 🤣

Any help appreciated!

https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/GA-AB350-Gaming-3-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

Ryzen 1700 4GHz OC, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 Motherboard, Corsair 32GB 3000MHz RAM, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

Alienware 13 R3, 7700HQ, 16GB 2667MHz RAM, GTX 1060 6GB

1 minute ago, smartroad said:

Hi all,

I have a Gigabyte AB350 Gaming3 mobo and want to upgrade to a 5000 series CPU from my OG 1700. I need to update BIOS of course, am I right in thinking if I upgrade to the newest BIOS I can't use the 1700 any more? There doesn't seem to be anything on the F52i BIOS to say it can't and I can't only see on previous ones it says about Raven Ridge not being supported, but not Summit Ridge (I REALLY wish they could just stick to the actual series numbers and not the codenames).

Yes, you would need to update the BIOS to use Ryzen 5000 series CPU, you might lose the ability to use the 1000 series as they had to make compromises due to a BIOS file can only be so large.

To actually upgrade though, I understand I would update BIOS with newest version, then remove old CPU, install new CPU and reboot?

Yes, Update the BIOS with the your Ryzen 1700, remove old CPU, new CPU in and you should be good to go! 🙂 

12 minutes ago, smartroad said:

Hi all,

I remember there being a thing about supporting the newer CPUs was at the expense of running the older CPUs but that doesn't seem to be the case or am I missing something?

I can really see why people don't upgrade BIOS' 🤣

Any help appreciated!

https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/GA-AB350-Gaming-3-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

I think I know why everyone doesn’t do this anyway.  The key there is 350.  Not all 3 series boards even can use ryzen3.  It’s just too old. I have a vague memory that gigabyte was one of the companies that did do the extra work needed to make it go, but I’m not sure.  If it is  there will be a path.  I don’t know what it is.  It’s possible that gigabyte had enough space in their bios buffer that they didn’t have to remove the bioses for older CPUs.  I don’t know.  I do remember that the origional problem was there were just so many am4 cpus that there wasn’t space in the bios buffer to accommodate all of them.  They may have only removed the athalons.  I don’t remember.  You don’t have an athalon though.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

I think I know why everyone doesn’t do this anyway.  The key there is 350.  Not all 3 series boards even can use ryzen3.  It’s just too old. I have a vague memory that gigabyte was one of the companies that did do the extra work needed to make it go, but I’m not sure.  If it is  there will be a path.  I don’t know what it is.  It’s possible that gigabyte had enough space in their bios buffer that they didn’t have to remove the bioses for older CPUs.  I don’t know.

The CPU list says it is with the latest BIOS (they even say the 5950X is supported, although I would not want to run that with this board!!)

Ryzen 1700 4GHz OC, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 Motherboard, Corsair 32GB 3000MHz RAM, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

Alienware 13 R3, 7700HQ, 16GB 2667MHz RAM, GTX 1060 6GB

The CPU list says it is with the latest BIOS (they even say the 5950X is supported, although I would not want to run that with this board!!)

It probably is then

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

You will not lose Summit Ridge support by upodating to the latest BIOS version.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64