Dual or single loop for new w9-3475x build

I am coming from a w-3175x dual gpu build that was 4 years old and has been great. Its time to upgrade so I have already bought the main parts of the new system. Before people ask this is not a gaming pc. Its mostly used for work I do with my main job and things I do on the side (which is why I need dual gpus)

w9-3475x (I will oc it but not extreme as I need stability)

two 4090s

512 ddr5 memory

My current build has a dual loop and I thought to do the same with the new system but this time I went with a smaller case. I am going from a W200+Top+Bottom (ITS HUGE) pedestals to a Phanteks Enthoo Elite which is big but small compared to my last setup. But now I am debating if a single loop with maybe two pumps might be just as good. My two ideas of setups are as follows. Note that I need dual PSUs for this, so I will be using the bottom area for another PSU so it will be limited for rads if I can fit any.

Dual Loop, simple setup

420 rad on top, 560 rad on front.

Loop1 = Pump/Res->Gpus->front rad->Pump/Res

Loop2 = Pump/Res->CPU->top rad->Pump/Res

Single Loop

420 rad on top, 560 rad on front, whatever size rad I can fit in the bottom

Loop1 = Pump/Res->Gpus->top rap->CPU->front rad->bottom rad->Pump/Res

Just looking for thoughts on these setups, will I need two pumps for the single loop and is the single loop going to be enough for those components I am adding.

Single loop should be fine but i favour redundancy and as your PC is work related do not go single pump.

I run a dual D5 pump system with 2 rads but a single CPU system.

The extra D5 pump is not really needed but it means that should a pump ever die my system will still run without any issues. It is merely for redundancy purposes and the D5 pumps are not so expensive anymore as long as you stick to the D5 pump itself and not an EK branded D5 for example.

Alphacool have also developed some very nice Pumps at better flow potential good quality and very reasonable prices.

my system is inverted as I have it on the left side of my desk next to a wall in the corner of a room.

Front 420mm radiator with 6 x 140mm silent wings fans in push pull. the in/out are at the top and the inlet to my res is level with them so a simply bridge to the res inlet. this is a cylinder type the feeds the dual block with the 2 D5s and from there flows to my CPU in CPu out to GPU in AND gpu out to a top rad 280 again with 2 x 140mm silent wings fans. From that rad its outlet flows to the 420mm rad inlet.

even when summer months hit 40c without any problems the system remains running only around 5c-6c  above ambient on light loads and even under heavy loads my fluid temps never hits worrisome levels. not a truly heavy system but 3080 5900x 

6 minutes ago, johnno23 said:

Single loop should be fine but i favour redundancy and as your PC is work related do not go single pump.

I run a dual D5 pump system with 2 rads but a single CPU system.

The extra D5 pump is not really needed but it means that should a pump ever die my system will still run without any issues. It is merely for redundancy purposes and the D5 pumps are not so expensive anymore as long as you stick to the D5 pump itself and not an EK branded D5 for example.

Alphacool have also developed some very nice Pumps at better flow potential good quality and very reasonable prices.

my system is inverted as I have it on the left side of my desk next to a wall in the corner of a room.

Front 420mm radiator with 6 x 140mm silent wings fans in push pull. the in/out are at the top and the inlet to my res is level with them so a simply bridge to the res inlet. this is a cylinder type the feeds the dual block with the 2 D5s and from there flows to my CPU in CPu out to GPU in AND gpu out to a top rad 280 again with 2 x 140mm silent wings fans. From that rad its outlet flows to the 420mm rad inlet.

even when summer months hit 40c without any problems the system remains running only around 5c-6c  above ambient on light loads and even under heavy loads my fluid temps never hits worrisome levels. not a truly heavy system but 3080 5900x 

One of my first big water builds had the dual d5 pump from ek, then my second one had two ek d5 pumps. However the 2nd one had some pretty big issues so I stopped ek. EK has also gotten crazy expensive imo on everything. My current system has the Aqua Computer d5 pumps but this time around I was planning to do Alphacool VPP655 pumps with maybe a plate distro block. So maybe just add another Alphacool VPP655 pump somewhere else in the loop for redundancy.

One big issue is everyone seems to be out of stock on about everything but the EK stuff its crazy.

3 minutes ago, elderan said:

Alphacool VPP655 pumps

those are the newer type yes and have some excellent reviews. as for out of stock I think the issue is that water cooling for custom loops were never truly carried in bulk by stores.

it was always so easy to drop a noctua air tower on a cpu etc and the water cooling market is flooded with aio. so now with the recent CPU releases requiring more cooling the market has had a huge uptick in sales depleting the basic stock that many suppliers did not want to waste too much effort and money upon.

On 6/17/2023 at 11:00 AM, johnno23 said:

those are the newer type yes and have some excellent reviews. as for out of stock I think the issue is that water cooling for custom loops were never truly carried in bulk by stores.

it was always so easy to drop a noctua air tower on a cpu etc and the water cooling market is flooded with aio. so now with the recent CPU releases requiring more cooling the market has had a huge uptick in sales depleting the basic stock that many suppliers did not want to waste too much effort and money upon.

I decided to try this out, single loop. 

2 AplhaCool 360 pump/res plates side by side

420 45 Top, Front

420 30 Bottom

140 45 Back

EKW GPU waterblock

AlphaCool 2U CPU waterblock

My planned loop order is Pump1->GPU1->GPU2->Back 140 Rad->Top 420 Rad->CPU->Front 420 Rad->Bottom 420 Rad->Pump2

Sounds like way more than you require but regarding how it will look it sounds like a real show piece.

the 140 rad at the back I do find odd ?  would not a 140 fan unobstructed do more to help remove any build up of heat in the case ?

Anyways my only advice for such a huge volume is do not forget a drain plug and use clear fluid not anything with dyes etc.

Cleaning such a system if you use any dyes etc is not going to be easy if over time you get residue or discoloration occur

4 hours ago, johnno23 said:

Sounds like way more than you require but regarding how it will look it sounds like a real show piece.

the 140 rad at the back I do find odd ?  would not a 140 fan unobstructed do more to help remove any build up of heat in the case ?

Anyways my only advice for such a huge volume is do not forget a drain plug and use clear fluid not anything with dyes etc.

Cleaning such a system if you use any dyes etc is not going to be easy if over time you get residue or discoloration occur

I am still debating on the 140 on the back but you are right it might be best to just leave that out. I stopped using colored liquid a many years ago and always just do clear now. I used white one time a long time ago on a new build. It was a nightmare to clean it and clear all the gunk out. 

On 6/17/2023 at 3:24 PM, elderan said:

Just looking for thoughts on these setups, will I need two pumps for the single loop and is the single loop going to be enough for those components I am adding.

Go for a complete dual loop if you fancy a bit of fun.

Single loop with 2 pumps if you just need the redundancy.

Just finished a dual loop in a Tower 500. Hands down the worst designed case I've ever worked in but think I'm making progress.

PXL_20230612_073503869.jpg

PXL_20230612_073459565.jpg

Bedroom PC - Lian-Li O11 XL Evo - Intel Core i5 13600k @ 5.4P / 4.4EGhz -  MSI Pro-A Wifi Z790 Mobo DDR5 - 32GB Ram - Gigabyte RTX 4090 - 1TB Samsung 990Pro NVMe - Corsair HX1200i PSU - Dual Custom Loop Cooling - GPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface S240 + EK Quantum Surface P360M X-Flow Rads - CPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface X360M Rad

Living Room PC - Hyte Y60 - Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5Ghz -  MSI Meg Ace Z390 Mobo - 16GB Ram - Palit RTX 3080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - Corsair AX850 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with Hyte Y60 Corner Distro Plate - EK Coolstream S120 + EK Quantum Surface S360 + EK Quantum Surface X240M

Extension PC - Lian Li o11 Dynamic - Intel Core i7 8086k @ 5.1Ghz -  Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA RTX 2080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EKWB 360 Rads + G1 side EKWB distro plate.

Office - Thermaltake Tower 100 - Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.1Ghz - Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 1080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EK Quantum Surface P120M Rads + Barrow 3-in-1 Block, Res & Pump.

Annex - Corsair 250D - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77 I Delux Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980ti - 256GB Corsair SSD - BeQuiet P11 750 PSU - CPU cooled with EK Coolstream S240 + S120 Rads + EK Pump / Res Combo

Office - Corsair 280X - Intel Core i7 4790k - Asrock H97M ITX Mobo  - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980 - Corsair SFXL600 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with triple EK Coolstream S240s + EK Pump / Res Combo

NAS PC - Fractal Node 804 - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77-M Mobo - 16GB Ram - MSI GTX 1660 Ventus - Corsair AX850 PSU - Unraid 15TB Storage Server

Living Room AV Setup 5.1.4 - Yamaha RX-A2060 - 2 x B&W CM9s2 - 2 x Monitor Audio FX Silvers - 4 x B&W CCM665s - B&W CMCs2 - SVS SB13 Ultra - LG OLED65C1

Extension AV Setup - Sonos ARC + Sub (Gen 3) - LG OLED65C6V + Yamaha RX-A1070 - 5 x Monitor Audio C265s (2 Zones)

Bedroom AV Setup - Yamaha WXC-50 - 2 x B&W CM1s - Rel Quake - LG OLED42C2.

Just an update this is what I went with for my layout. I am debating adding a 2nd pump between the 480 rad on the bottom and the GPU for redundancy and flow. Keep in mind this build intentionally had no rgb and soft tubing for maintenance and because no one will ever see this pc once I close it. 

20230626_185125 (1).jpg

On 6/17/2023 at 9:00 AM, johnno23 said:

VPP655 is just a D5 rebrand, and a good pump. The VPP755 is the custom pump Alphacool made that just happens to be the same shape/size as a D5, but its had TONS of problems.

On 6/17/2023 at 8:53 AM, elderan said:

EK has also gotten crazy expensive imo on everything.

EK is ridiculously expensive and not even all that great. Their quality control is complete garbage and they are not even top performers for what they cost. And this isn't a new phenomenon either. I bought some EK blocks in 2015 and brand new they were missing mounting hardware, and the nickel plating was shoddy and flaked off rather quickly. For newer examples, their direct die block for LGA1700 seems to be a dud, and for as many people that have had good experiences with ZMT tubing from EK, I can point to many forums threads of people having absolutely nothing but problems with it being dirty and flaking off small pieces of rubber over time. Moreover EK can't get the ID/OD specs right on that tubing to save their lives which is why you also get a ton of posts from people talking about how it won't fit with their non-EK fittings.

EK is massively overrated and overpriced.

Zen 3 Daily Rig (2022 - Present): AMD Ryzen 9 5900X + Optimus Foundations AM4 | Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti FE + Alphacool Eisblock 3080 FE | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@3733 c14) | ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB | Crucial MX500 1TB | Corsair RM1000x | Lian Li O11 Dynamic | LG 48" C1 | EK Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 w/ D5 | HWLabs GTX360 and GTS360 | Bitspower True Brass 14mm | Corsair 14mm White PMMA | ModMyMods Mod Water Clear | 9x BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 120mm PWM High Speed | Aquacomputer Highflow NEXT | Aquacomputer Octo

Test Bench: 

CPUs: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, Core i5-2400, Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS

Motherboards: ASUS Z97-Deluxe, EVGA Z490 Dark, EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin

GPUs: GTX 275 (RIP), 2x GTX 560, GTX 570, 2x GTX 650 Ti Boost, GTX 980, Titan X (Maxwell), x2 HD 6850

Bench: Cooler Master Masterframe 700 (bench mode)

Cooling: Heatkiller IV Pro Pure Copper | Koolance GPU-210 | HWLabs L-Series 360 | XSPC EX360 | Aquacomputer D5 | Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 250 | Monsoon Free Center Compressions | Mayhems UltraClear | 9x Arctic P12 120mm PWM PST

dual d5 in a single loop with 2 qdc works fine 

u can use the qdc as drain also

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini