PC shutting down when gaming, please help me

sk3

Whenever I load up a game my PC instantly shuts down with no warning, computer completely dies like someone removed the power.

It also used to shutdown randomly when I was just watching videos or doing nothing, now It just dies only on games.

This isn't new this has been happening for a while now.

I've tried to clean the fans in case it was a cooling issue, temps are good.

I reinstalled windows and fresh drivers.

I put in a new GPU.

On Cinebench R20 it runs fine, and the benchmark works.

When I run Heaven Benchmark or FurMark the PC dies.

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
Mobo: MSI Z170A PC Mate

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB(2x8GB)

GPU: GTX 950 (I had previously a Quadro M4000, but I switched it out to a GTX 950 to see if that fixed anything)
PSU: Thermaltake Smart 750w 80+ Bronze

What resolution are you trying to run the games at? It’s possible that the resolution is too high for your gpu and or maybe even cpu to handle, so it just shuts down.

5 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

First suspect is the power supply going bad.

Yup, I've had that happen before with the same symptoms.  The MOBO is the next suspect after.

19 minutes ago, PC Player said:

What resolution are you trying to run the games at? It’s possible that the resolution is too high for your gpu and or maybe even cpu to handle, so it just shuts down.

I have 2 monitors my Main monitor is 1920x1080 and the second one is 1600x900.

I'm running the game at 1920x1080 on my main monitor.

15 minutes ago, Worstcaster said:

Yup, I've had that happen before with the same symptoms.  The MOBO is the next suspect after.

22 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

First suspect is the power supply going bad.

I don't think the PSU is bad, but I could try to replace it and see what happens.

6 minutes ago, sk3 said:

I don't think the PSU is bad, but I could try to replace it and see what happens.

You can get a tester for like 20 bucks, or if you can get your hands on another unit just for a test that would save shelling out money. The component roulette can get expensive.

6 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

You can get a tester for like 20 bucks, or if you can get your hands on another unit just for a test that would save shelling out money. The component roulette can get expensive.

Where could I buy a tester? I've seen PSU testers are expensive af for some reason if you could send me one amazon or something for 20-30 bucks like you said.

Thanks

23 minutes ago, sk3 said:

I have 2 monitors my Main monitor is 1920x1080 and the second one is 1600x900.

I'm running the game at 1920x1080 on my main monitor.

Then you probably should be fine, so that’s probably not the answer.

Just now, PC Player said:

Then you probably should be fine, so that’s probably not the answer.

Before this all happened, the PC was running fine on 1920x1080, so the resolution is not the problem the PC dying happened one day randomly.

3 minutes ago, sk3 said:

Thank you, if the PSU happens to be fine what would I troubleshoot next?

Motherboard, possibly gpu. At that point I’d take it to a shop to get the components tested individually. Otherwise you face the cost of component roulette. 

If the cause is not the psu, it becomes a game of swapping hardware until you find the broken piece.

4 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

Motherboard, possibly gpu. At that point I’d take it to a shop to get the components tested individually. Otherwise you face the cost of component roulette. 

If the cause is not the psu, it becomes a game of swapping hardware until you find the broken piece.

Damn you component roulette.

One more thing, I was watching HWINFO voltages, and I didn't see any crazy drops or anything right before the PC crashed the only half weird thing is the +12v going down to 11.904v that's it. 

If I have to start changing out motherboard gpu and stuff I might aswell buy a upgraded pc and call it a day.

2 hours ago, sk3 said:

This isn't new this has been happening for a while now.

right now it could be anything. 
BUT

2 hours ago, sk3 said:

you could put yourr gpu in the other pcie x16 slot

image.png.49091a7daf9e0d7fd49253d63235372b.png

you got two of those. 

and try 

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.

10 minutes ago, SamClan said:

BUT

you got two of those. 

and try 

Ooo, I could try that, thank you!

2 hours ago, SamClan said:

BUT

you got two of those. 

and try 

I put my Quadro M4000 in the other slot (the 950 wouldn't fit because of all the stupid cables from my non modular psu)
and I used DDU and installed fresh drivers and Heaven Benchmark runs but games still cause the PC to die

2 hours ago, sk3 said:

I put my Quadro M4000 in the other slot (the 950 wouldn't fit because of all the stupid cables from my non modular psu)
and I used DDU and installed fresh drivers and Heaven Benchmark runs but games still cause the PC to die

that tells us it is not the slot itself, could be still motherboard.

7 hours ago, sk3 said:

On Cinebench R20 it runs fine, and the benchmark works.

this tells us it is very unlikely that it is RAM or CPU

5 hours ago, Whatisthis said:

I would go with exchange the PSU, 

7 hours ago, sk3 said:

the problem is if it doesn't matter which Gpu is plugged in. 

I still stand with exchanging PSU like @Whatisthis said to do. 

if that doesn't work we may have to look into your motherboard, BUT tbh if it is your motherboard you also could just upgrade your system, new socket new mobo 

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

7 minutes ago, SamClan said:

that tells us it is not the slot itself, could be still motherboard.

this tells us it is very unlikely that it is RAM or CPU

I would go with exchange the PSU, 

the problem is if it doesn't matter which Gpu is plugged in. 

I still stand with exchanging PSU like @Whatisthis said to do. 

if that doesn't work we may have to look into your motherboard, BUT tbh if it is your motherboard you also could just upgrade your system, new socket new mobo 

Its most likely the PSU you and many other people are saying PSU is probably finished.

I'm going to get a PSU tester and test it since I don't want to just buy a new PSU and have it not be the problem and then it becomes a deal trying to return it.

If the PSU is fine, I will just upgrade new socket new mobo lol You all are more helpful than the other people I've talked to.

I'm also looking to upgrade the CPU Cooler get some new fans and maybe a case (I have the Cooler master HAF 912 I think it is the HAF 912) if you have any recommendations, please tell me.

Thanks a lot!

5 minutes ago, sk3 said:

I'm going to get a PSU tester and test it since I don't want to just buy a new PSU and have it not be the problem and then it becomes a deal trying to return it.

where I am from I would have bought it from amazon and just ship it back. 

6 minutes ago, sk3 said:

If the PSU is fine, I will just upgrade new socket new mobo lol You all are more helpful than the other people I've talked to.

if you need help with that just open up another post but in another channel

7 minutes ago, sk3 said:

CPU Cooler get some new fans and maybe a case (I have the Cooler master HAF 912 I think it is the HAF 912) if you have any recommendations, please tell me.

it depents fully on what YOU want, I went ape shit crazy because I don't want to hear my pc while I am browsing. Dark rock pro 4 for cpu cooler, 3080 ti is water cooled AIO, 6 case fans, 4 in 2 out. You will even find a old post of mine where I put Noctua fans on my old 2060Super, in the post I believe I have those bequiet still on it. 

Fractal Design Meshify S2 for a case. 

But it all depends on what you want to build, I personally would never go and buy a silent case. just buy a airflow case and set the fans on low spinning rate. it gets super quiet you get fresh air everything is fine. 

and you don't need a over the top air cooler or AIO for a ryzen 3600. 

but I hope everything works out for you!

20 minutes ago, SamClan said:

where I am from I would have bought it from amazon and just ship it back. 

if you need help with that just open up another post but in another channel

it depents fully on what YOU want, I went ape shit crazy because I don't want to hear my pc while I am browsing. Dark rock pro 4 for cpu cooler, 3080 ti is water cooled AIO, 6 case fans, 4 in 2 out. You will even find a old post of mine where I put Noctua fans on my old 2060Super, in the post I believe I have those bequiet still on it. 

Fractal Design Meshify S2 for a case. 

But it all depends on what you want to build, I personally would never go and buy a silent case. just buy a airflow case and set the fans on low spinning rate. it gets super quiet you get fresh air everything is fine. 

and you don't need a over the top air cooler or AIO for a ryzen 3600. 

but I hope everything works out for you!

Damn, 6 case fans, water cooled 3080 ti and Dark Rock Pro 4

and Damn Noctua fans on a 2060 Super I don't think the 2060 Super is that loud (I've never tested it or used it)

where I live, I have many places that sell PC parts I will go in real life and buy the new parts and see if they have PSU testers if not, I will order the PSU tester. @Whatisthis replied with. 

Ryzen 3600 sounds nice 6 cores 8 threads, I'm not playing games that require a $5000 Build so that's enough for me.

Fractal Design Meshify S2 has a nice design with amazing airflow but I also had the Corsair 4000D Airflow in mind.

I don't like loud fans as well so the idea for an airflow case and fans low RPM I like very much.

I won't get an overkill cooler for the 3600.

What do you think of the Ryzen 5 5600 or the 5600x instead of the 3600?

Thanks for all your help! We done here.