Mechanical Keyboard Recommendations

lachjames

Hi 🙂 I've been using a Razer Blackwidow Elite for a few years, but some of the keys are starting to die and I wouldn't mind an upgrade anyway. So I bought a Steelseries Apex Pro, and it turns out I really don't like linear switches, and I'm finding my effective typing speed quite reduced as I either have to put up with more mistakes or reduce my speed (I can usually get to the 130s on a good day, not sure entirely what I'm at with this keyboard but it's certainly less). So I'm going to return that, but I need to figure out what to get instead...

I've looked a little into the custom keyboard route, but tbh I don't think I have the patience for it and I'd prefer to just "buy something that works".

These are my thoughts:

- I'd prefer a TKL design, as I don't use the numpad on my Blackwidow Elite and it just takes a lot of space. I usually sit with the keyboard on my lap, so I need something at least the size of TKL to be stable, but I think a full-size keyboard is overkill (and sometimes I like to use my mouse on my knee so a TKL will help give me room for that... I get a sore wrist when using my mouse sometimes, but I find that to be quite comfortable for some reason).

- I'd prefer wired(for a kinda weird reason... since I keep my keyboard balanced on my lap, if/when I drop it having a cable running to it means I don't have to get up and get it - the cable really doesn't bother me otherwise and it makes things cheaper). I'll get a wireless keyboard if that's the best option though, as long as I can use it in wired mode.

- I don't want to waste money, but I use my keyboard every day for work (programming), typing, and light gaming (not competitive but it needs to at least not suck) so I'm willing to spend a decent amount, more than the Apex Pro if it's worth it
 - I do generally like Razer stuff but I'm concerned about the longevity since my Blackwidow Elite didn't last as long as I'd hoped. But it might just be luck and/or how hard I type, so I'm open to Razer suggestions if they're a good option.

- I do need some kind of media controls, at the very least a volume knob and preferrably play/prev/next. I'm actually not a huge fan of the Apex Pro's setup for this, I preferred the Blackwidow Elite.

- I'd prefer a keyboard with RGB since I can then match it with the rest of my setup, but it's not a dealbreaker either (I generally turn off the RGB when I use the computer, I just find it fun to play around with more than anything, pretty lights make happy brain chemicals go wee and all that...).

- I prefer to game with a PS5 controller where possible as my wrist gets sore using a mouse for gaming, and I don't play competitive stuff anyway - I do need a decent gaming setup (at least comfortable/usable) for strategy games like Civ 6 though, but I think any keyboard here would be fine for that. So my main concern is getting something that's good for programming with, and with switches that I can use accurately.

I've been looking at a few options, generally with MX Brown switches (or equivalent) - I think the blues would be nice, but I'm concerned the noise will annoy me (and, more importantly, my family!)

Keychron Q3 with Cherry MX Brown

- Assembled with a knob but no other buttons, which isn't ideal for me but not a dealbreaker.

- Not a huge fan of the retro-ish style tbh, at least not for my setup

- So unless this is really above and beyond the more "gamer gear" keyboards below, I'd probably prefer one of them

Razer Blackwidow V3 TKL

- This looks like a decent option...

- ...but it's showing as discontinued, and the full-size Blackwidow V4 is already out. I know it's just a keyboard, but I struggle to bring myself to buy the thing when the new one's probably coming soon.

- I also was looking at the V4 but it's quite big and I don't really have any use for the macro keys.

Steelseries Apex 7 TKL

- This seems to be basically the Apex Pro but without the linear switches (which actually sounds pretty great)

- I'm fairly happy with the Apex Pro, other than the keys - I like the USB passthrough and the media controls are "fine" (though the OLED is useless as I never look at my keyboard anyway)

- I think I'd be happy with "Apex Pro, but TKL and with tactile switches", and that seems to be this keyboard, but I'm also keen to explore other options if anyone has recommendations)

Corsair K70 RGB TKL with Cherry MX Brown

- This is the other option I'm leaning towards, if I can find one...

- I'm struggling to find the TKL version for sale with brown switches, although Corsair do list this as an option on their website?
 - I'm not huge on the styling but I can live with it (though I much prefer the Apex 7)

I'm suffering from a bit of decision paralysis here, so I thought I'd post and ask if anyone has anythoughts and/or suggestions? Thanks for your help 🙂

I own a Keychron C2 and it was my daily driver for about a year. As far as build quality goes, it was very resistant against some drops and the occasional gamer rage. My one gripe with it was that it was a little difficult at times to remove the switches from the chassis. Keychron does have some pretty inexpensive keycaps on their site if you don't mind spending another $20-$40. 

2 hours ago, lachjames said:

Keychron Q3 with Cherry MX Brown

- Assembled with a knob but no other buttons, which isn't ideal for me but not a dealbreaker.

- Not a huge fan of the retro-ish style tbh, at least not for my setup

- So unless this is really above and beyond the more "gamer gear" keyboards below, I'd probably prefer one of them

There is also the Q3 Pro, which has four macro keys and a knob. More expensive though.

Alternatives here would be the C1 Pro (no first hand experience though) or the V series. Reason for the V-series is that it is significantly cheaper, but has almost the same functionality (different mounting and the case is plastic instead of aluminium). Being hotswap keyboard means you could also try different types of switches/keycap combos to see what you like. Keychron has some good and affordable caps and switches in stock.

K-series is also great, though watch out that you get the right version with hotswap and RGB.

Regarding switches:

If you like brown switches, some others you might want to look at are "Panda" or "Kangaroo" switches. They have a very early tactile bump with little pre-travel, like only 0.5mm. This means they are at the tactile bump almost immediately when you put your finger on them, giving them a very sharp, trigger like feel.  

Even if you are not into linears, if you get a hotswap and feel curious + have some money to burn, give yellow or black switches a try. Gateron G pros are around 20$, and pretty good for the money. They have heavier springs and "steeper ramps", meaning they offer more resistance in an increasing fashion. I also felt that I was missing or mistyping a lot with reds, but I love yellows.

Whatever you do, if you plan on spending a decent amount of money on a keyboard, get one with hotswap. Then you can at least replace switches when they fail.

10 hours ago, lachjames said:

retro-ish style tbh, at least not for my setup

Their keycap profile is quite comfortable to type on. But yeah, you can easily replace it with other keycaps, and unlike a lot of keyboards, it is a south facing PCB which means it wont cause intrusion issue in any way between the switch and the keycap.

Blackwidow

Wouldnt even touch it unless if its free. Blackwidow still uses the shitty greetech switches that feels like ass and also die prematurely all the time.

I'm struggling to find the TKL version for sale with brown switches

Because everyone and their mom wants one. Its a decent board but overplayed and as you can tell, stocks for it are hard to find.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Thanks everyone, appreciate your advice and feedback - really helped a lot! I went for a Keychron Q6 with the Gateron Pro Brown switches in the end - I'm very happy with it! The keys are a little lighter than I'd hoped, but on the other hand, when going back to my old Blackwidow Elite the keys now feel too heavy... I might have to look into some custom options (which is something I can do with the Keychron!!). I wasn't looking to go down the custom keyboard route, but now I have I don't regret it (although my wallet yet might!)

Thanks again 🙂

Grats on your purchase, hope it serves you well. I was gonna say this is what you need: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_M_keyboard

Those boards are tanx, they click loud and proud and you can feel the quality. I love them but i took it out of use like 2 or 3 years ago cause im afraid im gonna destroy it cause i like to hit kinda hard when moving quickly. Its original from a old Compaq pc we had. I put EVGA's Z10 in to play with for awhile and i can feel its a bit more delicate, but i still bang the crap outta it. 😆