RTX 3060 or 3060ti for video editing?

Hi! 12gb rtx 3060 or 8gb 3060ti - which one should I buy for video editing work? I will be using adobe premiere pro, after effects and davinci resolve. Which card will serve me for long time? I'm planning to use it for 4 years at least. 

How about RX 6700xt? Would that be a good option as well?

Both rtx cards are available in my country and within my budget. The Amd card is a bit expensive. 

2 minutes ago, Dev Design said:

Hi! 12gb rtx 3060 or 8gb 3060ti - which one should I buy for video editing work? I will be using adobe premiere pro, after effects and davinci resolve. Which card will serve me for long time? I'm planning to use it for 4 years at least. 

How about RX 6700xt? Would that be a good option as well?

Both rtx cards are available in my country and within my budget. The Amd card is a bit expensive. 

Is it just video editing? If it is then I would probs get the 3060 ti

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

That depends on the resolution you are working in. Currently for Davinci resolve you need around 4 GB for 1080p and 8 GB for 4k, and way more beyond. (it also somewhat depends on what you are doing) -> https://www.pugetsystems.com/solutions/video-editing-workstations/davinci-resolve/hardware-recommendations/

Going through the link I inserted will give you a lot of information. And you can also look at the recommendations for premier pro and after effects. But if the card will be enough for you for the next 4 years, no one will be able to answer unless you know exactly what kind of projects you'll want to do.

They are both kinda outdated already though. So keep that in mind.

AMD is usually less reliable and performant than Nvidia in these scenarios.

6 minutes ago, Dev Design said:

How about RX 6700xt?

None of the apps you mention bodes well on openCL. CUDA is the only answer here.

Between the 2 it depends on whats your workflow. Yeah sure the 3060Ti would be nice for more complex color correction and filtering work but if youre playing with high resolution on davinci resolve, VRAM is your friend so 3060 would be the better answer, even when its sitting at a smaller memory bus.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

25 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

None of the apps you mention bodes well on openCL. CUDA is the only answer here.

Between the 2 it depends on whats your workflow. Yeah sure the 3060Ti would be nice for more complex color correction and filtering work but if youre playing with high resolution on davinci resolve, VRAM is your friend so 3060 would be the better answer, even when its sitting at a smaller memory bus.

Well, speed does matter with most work flows - the 3060 Ti will perform better - meaning projects done faster - if you look at the benchmarks, it performs better - it's when you need to render something that requires VRAM (e.g. higher res, like you say) - you will get 'out of memory' errors if you only have something like 8GB - likely.    I would suggest the OP see what a used 3080 12gb is in his local market but other than that, I think the 3060 / 3060 Ti is a 'pick 'em' - since the Ti will be a bit better for most tasks unless they need the extra VRAM.   The difference generally, is probably negligible though.    Alternatively, to be on the safe side and if one assumes, they will work at higher resolutions - then the 3060 is the safe pick.