DDR5

Does DDR5 advertised as AMD EXPO profile ready work on motherboards with Intel chipsets and does DDR5 advertised as Intel XMP ready work on motherboards with AMD chipsets? Why DDR5 is not ready for both profiles?

From what I’ve seen, expo and xmp ram usually work interchangeably. It is just moreso guaranteed to work for the advertised ram overclocking system. I wouldn’t deliberately buy Intel certified for amd, but it’s worth a shot to try if you accidentally bought the “wrong” one.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

IMO as AM5 is very finicky with RAM OC you should rather get an EXPO kit with them, but using EXPO on Intel (which manages it much better) should be no issue

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

17 minutes ago, testcy said:

Does DDR5 advertised as AMD EXPO profile ready work on motherboards with Intel chipsets and does DDR5 advertised as Intel XMP ready work on motherboards with AMD chipsets?

Yes and no. Yes the RAM itself works on those platforms, for whether the profile actually enables though is a different story. Motherboard manufacturers need to put in some BIOS optimizations for XMP to work on AMD and for EXPO to work on Intel, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. As someone who does run an EXPO kit on Intel, there are 2 different BIOS revisions where turning on EXPO will cause the system to fail to POST, and the same thing is true on AMD systems with XMP. Most of the newer BIOS revisions should get it to work. 

21 minutes ago, testcy said:

Why DDR5 is not ready for both profiles?

Kingston I know for sure does, and I think TeamGroup does as well, put both XMP and EXPO profiles on their memory sticks. Some manufacturers do that, others like G.Skill do not. 

2 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

but using EXPO on Intel (which manages it much better) should be no issue

It still can be if the board doesn't implement it properly. My Unify-X on two of the earlier BIOS revisions won't work with EXPO enabled at all. Most boards have fixed it nowadays, but it's not a guarantee. 

Would CL30 6000MHZ or CL32 6400MHZ DDR5 work at these speeds without overclocking?

1 minute ago, testcy said:

Would CL30 6000MHZ or CL32 6400MHZ DDR5 work at these speeds without overclocking?

Technically no, anything that requires enabling XMP/EXPO and/or going above the base advertised speed of the CPU (on AMD that's 5200, on 12th gen and the 13th gen locked i3 and i5 is 4800, and on most of 13th gen it's 5600) is by definition overclocking. If you mean without manual tuning to get them to work, 6000 CL30 should work on everything, and 6400 CL32 should work on Intel 13th gen pretty reliably. 

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Technically no, anything that requires enabling XMP/EXPO and/or going above the base advertised speed of the CPU (on AMD that's 5200, on 12th gen and the 13th gen locked i3 and i5 is 4800, and on most of 13th gen it's 5600) is by definition overclocking. If you mean without manual tuning to get them to work, 6000 CL30 should work on everything, and 6400 CL32 should work on Intel 13th gen pretty reliably. 

Is it possible to disable XMP or EXPO profile and manually tune these speeds?

Just now, testcy said:

Is it possible to disable XMP or EXPO profile and manually tune these speeds?

Yes. On the current BIOS revisions for my Unify-X, EXPO does actually work, but it's permanently disabled because the kit can run much more better settings than what the EXPO kit specifies. Same thing is possible for XMP or EXPO on AMD, you don't need to use it and can manually setup your RAM instead. 

These profiles are just to give you a one-click setup for settings that your RAM is capable of. There's no reason (excluding OEM boards) that you actually need to use it and can't just input everything manually or try to run better settings that what is advertised. 

3 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Kingston I know for sure does, and I think TeamGroup does as well, put both XMP and EXPO profiles on their memory sticks. Some manufacturers do that, others like G.Skill do not.

I can only find G.SKILL DDR5 at those speeds, but either XMP or EXPO profile ready. What DDR5 from other manufacturers is ready for both profiles?

2 hours ago, testcy said:

I can only find G.SKILL DDR5 at those speeds, but either XMP or EXPO profile ready. What DDR5 from other manufacturers is ready for both profiles?

ADATA and corsair might, though again the only one I know for sure is Kingston. 

I don’t no why they cant put 2 profiles on a chip one for each 

or just make a ocp that runs on both

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

8 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

ADATA and corsair might, though again the only one I know for sure is Kingston. 

What Kingston DDR5 exactly?

12 hours ago, Ebony Falcon said:

I don’t no why they cant put 2 profiles on a chip one for each 

It's 100% possible. The EXPO profile and XMP profiles are stores in opposite sides of the SPD so they wouldn't overlap, and there are a couple kits that do it. 

4 hours ago, testcy said:

What Kingston DDR5 exactly?

There are a bunch out there, this is one for instance:

KF560C36BBEK2-32

There are XMP specific offerings from them, and EXPO/XMP specific offerings, depending on when the kit released and whether it has an XMP profile capable of running on AMD systems. 

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

There are a bunch out there, this is one for instance:

KF560C36BBEK2-32

There are XMP specific offerings from them, and EXPO/XMP specific offerings, depending on when the kit released and whether it has an XMP profile capable of running on AMD systems. 

This is CL36 6000MHZ and I am looking for either CL30 6000MHZ or CL32 6400MHZ. I don't see anything faster on their website that is ready for both profiles.

5 hours ago, testcy said:

This is CL36 6000MHZ and I am looking for either CL30 6000MHZ or CL32 6400MHZ. I don't see anything faster on their website that is ready for both profiles.

Again, it's not only Kingston that has kits like this, Corsair also has some. 

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb/p/N82E16820236909?quicklink=true

You just need to find kits that have EXPO and XMP on their product page.