Cables question

ClassicWhite

Hi, I bought a new 4000 series card but did not include cables. But my psu did have the cables needed but not sure if they fully work.

Psu is corsair RM850X

16862432420603450416098153683611.jpg

Just now, dilpickle said:

GPUs don't come with power cables. You need to use the cables labeled PCI-E from your power supply.

Gpus don’t USUALLY come with power cables. Sometimes 40 series cards (and others) will come with special splitters. However, if the gpu didn’t come with cables (splitters) out of the box, you don’t need them.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

1 minute ago, TylerD321 said:

Gpus don’t USUALLY come with power cables. Sometimes 40 series cards (and others) will come with special splitters. However, if the gpu didn’t come with cables (splitters) out of the box, you don’t need them.

A splitter is not a power cable. Please tell me what you plug the splitter into.

Just now, dilpickle said:

A splitter is not a power cable. Please tell me what you plug the splitter into.

I disagree. A splitter has cables that deliver power. It’s not what you typically think of as a power cable as it doesn’t plug directly into a psu, but it is still a “power cable” this is why in the post you quoted I put “splitter” in parentheses after I said cable. Regardless of the exact meanings and definitions, the answer to the post is simply “if the gpu didn’t come with it you don’t need it”.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

2 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

I disagree. A splitter has cables that deliver power. It’s not what you typically think of as a power cable as it doesn’t plug directly into a psu, but it is still a “power cable” this is why in the post you quoted I put “splitter” in parentheses after I said cable. Regardless of the exact meanings and definitions, the answer to the post is simply “if the gpu didn’t come with it you don’t need it”.

Um no and this type of pedantry doesn't help the OP so why are you even wasting space with all this nonsense.

49 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

That's kinda nitpicking...

A splitter is like an extension cable, it has to be plugged to the "real" power cables, that are the ones plugged in the PSU

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Might also say the gpu is the 4070 msi ventus 3x and uses 1 pcie and the cable have 2 8 pin pcie.

1 hour ago, ClassicWhite said:

Might also say the gpu is the 4070 msi ventus 3x and uses 1 pcie and the cable have 2 8 pin pcie.

If the cables that came with your psu fits, you are fine. 

I don't think the Ventus 4070 needs that new 12pin connector (which could be an adapter cable you would find in your graphics card box). 

So I would just find the right pci-e power cable and plug in. 

What is generally warned about, is using power cables from different PSUs, as their inner layout can differ and cause all kinds of problems and shorts, but using approved cables with their designated PSU is not an issue. 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)