Changing mobo on Dell

Ivyk

I'm having some problems with a Dell pc, I updated the BIOS because a colleague recommended it because the BIOS was really slow (20 minutes to boot).

After I found the right software on the official Dell website I ran it, it gave some errors but still said "update successful".

I than restarted the pc and it failed to boot, it gave 1 short beep which meant "error in BIOS ROM-checksum" according to the Dell support site.

I already installed Windows 7 before I updated the BIOS so that won't be a problem.

Is it possible to buy a new mobo with the same socket, connect everything and boot without a problem?

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

Not without a problem, there's a chance you will be required to reinstall the OS and such and if the PC doesn't boot because the hardware besides the motherboard is faulty you've just wasted time money on the replacing the motherboard.

But if you are really sure all of the other components are working fine without any issues I would go for it.

If the new motherboard doesn't solve the problem you can always send it back.

If the CPU isn't soldered in, probably.

However, being as it's a Dell machine with an OEM Windows license, that license may refuse to install/work if you swap the motherboard (since that's what carries the identifier that they use to check the machine).

CPU-AMD FX 8350 @ 4.9Ghz | GPU-Sapphire 7970 OC | Motherboard-AsRock Extreme9 990fx | RAM-8GB Mushkin Blackline Ridgeback

Case-NZXT Switch 810 | Heatsink-NZXT HAVIK | SSD-Samsung 840 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barricuda 1TB; WD Green 2TB
PSU-Seasonic X-Series 850 Watt | Mouse-Razer Naga | Keyboard-Razer Blackwidow | Speakers-Logitech z623

@Ivyk replacing the motherboard should work fine.  i would recommend getting a second hand board of ebay as dell boards hare there own stuff on them allot of the time for the case.

What make/model is it. I work allot with dells, there pretty good if you get the workstation grade stuff the (precision)  the oplex is pretty crappy but is so cheap at least on the enterprise level.

@Ivyk replacing the motherboard should work fine.  i would recommend getting a second hand board of ebay as dell boards hare there own stuff on them allot of the time for the case.

What make/model is it. I work allot with dells, there pretty good if you get the workstation grade stuff the (precision)  the oplex is pretty crappy but is so cheap at least on the enterprise level.

It's a 775 socket motherboard he has. Don't know about the model number.

If the CPU isn't soldered in, probably.

However, being as it's a Dell machine with an OEM Windows license, that license may refuse to install/work if you swap the motherboard (since that's what carries the identifier that they use to check the machine).

I already installed Windows 7 before I updated the BIOS so that won't be a problem :)

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze