Very high temperatures on i5 13600k / Gigabyte Z690 / Peerless Assassin 120

Hey, I upgraded to an i5 13600k, the Gigabyte Z690 MOBO, and Peerless Assassin 120 CPU cooler.

My temperatures are in the 90s when I test Core-Temp and Furmark. My VID stays around 1.07-1.2 and just barely hits 1.3 sometimes under load just for a split second, so that can't be the problem. I went into the bios and changed fan speed from normal to full and I didn't see the CPU temperature inside the bios lower at all when I heard it spin up loudly. I should have been seeing it lower itself.

Could anybody help me lower my temperatures? I had the understanding that this CPU cooler was going to be more than enough.

7 minutes ago, Codrelan said:

Hey, I upgraded to an i5 13600k, the Gigabyte Z690 MOBO, and Peerless Assassin 120 CPU cooler.

My temperatures are in the 90s when I test Core-Temp and Furmark. My VID stays around  1.07-1.2 and just barely hits 1.3 sometimes under load just for a split second, so that can't be the problem. I tried changing the CPU mode to gaming and that's when I noticed this, but I reverted it and it's still happening after factory defaults. I also went into the bios and changed fan speed from normal to full and I didn't see the CPU temperature inside the bios lower at all when I heard it spin up loudly. I should have been seeing it lower itself...

So you are concerned that you see 90c temps during 100% synthetic loads?

8 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

So you are concerned that you see 90c temps during 100% synthetic loads?

Yes but even while playing for example Warhammer 3 my temperatures can go as high as 80-89.

8 minutes ago, Codrelan said:

Yes but even while playing for example Warhammer 3 my temperatures can go as high as 80-89.

Maybe try remounting the cooler + a repaste.   Double check that you have both fans the correct way ( User error can happen )

31 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Maybe try remounting the cooler + a repaste.   Double check that you have both fans the correct way ( User error can happen )

Anything I can do in the bios like lower clock speed slightly etc?

idk that sounds quite normal. 13th gen cpus guzzle down power. you could try refitting the cooler in case you installed it wrong and use better thermal paste. you could also undervolt ig

5 minutes ago, dight said:

idk that sounds quite normal. 13th gen cpus guzzle down power. you could try refitting the cooler in case you installed it wrong and use better thermal paste. you could also undervolt ig

Something is definitely wrong here, I just went onto RPCS3 and my temperatures went into the 90s. I paid my local PC store to install my stuff for me, how can I know if my CPU cooler is fit properly or not?

Just now, Codrelan said:

Something is definitely wrong here, I just went onto RPCS3 and my temperatures went into the 90s.

yea i think you should repaste. what thermal paste do u use?

2 minutes ago, Codrelan said:

TF 7 Thermal Paste is all that the newegg page I bought the CPU Cooler off of says

hmm that paste is fine so idk it could just be the cooler not being mounted right?

11 minutes ago, dight said:

hmm that paste is fine so idk it could just be the cooler not being mounted right?

I've never messed with the cooler so I am a bit worried about doing it myself, how do I know if it isn't mounted properly?

8 minutes ago, Codrelan said:

I've never messed with the cooler so I am a bit worried about doing it myself, how do I know if it isn't mounted properly?

Linus found out about the biased heatpipe design being a massive crutch to thermals when paired with the top-down aircooling of Nvidia Founders Edition GPU. The heatsink text should look like this.

image.png.5d1bd3992eeb6137117e983aac16a9f4.png

image.thumb.png.a8c266d0fd1d9ad9827e84d98d337b69.png

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

8 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Linus found out about the biased heatpipe design being a massive crutch to thermals when paired with the top-down aircooling of Nvidia Founders Edition GPU. The heatsink text should look like this.

image.png.5d1bd3992eeb6137117e983aac16a9f4.png

image.thumb.png.a8c266d0fd1d9ad9827e84d98d337b69.png

I do not have a founders edition GPU

1 hour ago, dight said:

I've been reading changing something called "CPU Lite Mode" to mode 2 will help, but I can't find it.

38 minutes ago, Codrelan said:

I've been reading changing something called "CPU Lite Mode" to mode 2 will help, but I can't find it.

Applying -100mv offset undervolt settings to your p/e-cores and cache would probably tame temps in games fairly well, if you think the mount is good then just ramp up fan speed in bios and let the undervolt bring down power consumption and heat considerably.

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

17 minutes ago, TheDankKoosh said:

Applying -100mv offset undervolt settings to your p/e-cores and cache would probably tame temps in games fairly well, if you think the mount is good then just ramp up fan speed in bios and let the undervolt bring down power consumption and heat considerably.

Do I need to turn off undervolt protection or anything on my motherboard? And I did try rampinh up the fan speed before, I changed it from normal to full in the bios and heard it become loud and yet the CPU temperature in the bios was not dropping.

12 minutes ago, Codrelan said:

Do I need to turn off undervolt protection or anything on my motherboard? And I did try rampinh up the fan speed before, I changed it from normal to full in the bios and heard it become loud and yet the CPU temperature in the bios was not dropping.

Just to be safe I would disable UV protections to ensure nothing wacky happens, seeing little to no change in temps from ramping fan speed does seem a bit suspect. Did temps change in game or synthetics at all? If not that does point to something wrong with heat not getting to the coldplate of your cooler, a remount might still be needed, I'd also use a bit more thermal paste than you think you'll need to ensure full IHS coverage. Otherwise I think the PA120 should be capable of running an undervolted 13600k even in synthetics.

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

GFs System

31 minutes ago, TheDankKoosh said:

Just to be safe I would disable UV protections to ensure nothing wacky happens, seeing little to no change in temps from ramping fan speed does seem a bit suspect. Did temps change in game or synthetics at all? If not that does point to something wrong with heat not getting to the coldplate of your cooler, a remount might still be needed, I'd also use a bit more thermal paste than you think you'll need to ensure full IHS coverage. Otherwise I think the PA120 should be capable of running an undervolted 13600k even in synthetics.

I took a video above, definitely doesn't seem normal - Also assuming I did it correctly, I under-volted the Internal CPU VCore Offset by 0.050 using the video below and there was no change in temperatures, I even checked HWMonitor and my IA Offset is -0.051 so that means it changed that

11 minutes ago, Codrelan said:

I took a video if you can tell me if this is normal, lol.

50c idle with fans kicked up does seem high, a remount is likely in order to sort your temps out.

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

GFs System

1 hour ago, TheDankKoosh said:

50c idle with fans kicked up does seem high, a remount is likely in order to sort your temps out.

Reduced my IA Offset by -0.071 and it actually seems like it made things worse

38 minutes ago, Codrelan said:

Trying really hard to find another solution here lol

I would highly suggest remounting with the results you've shown me, it's possible that there's a gap either not making contact or that may not have thermal paste at all, hotspots like that can kill a chip much quicker than standard operation. remounting a cooler takes 15 minutes at most and ensures you won't have any future heating issues, combine that with an undervolt and that chip/mobo will last 10+ years.

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

GFs System