Can I Take Apart an Xbox 360 Drive & Add My Own?

Ykcud

I am wondering if I can place a 2.5 inch drive inside of a 360 drive case and it would work? This would be for the fat version. Preferably an SSD.

My current Xbox 360 is dying so I am considering getting a “new” one from eBay. While I know most games for the Xbox original and 360 library are available through Steam or other online game platforms, a few of the games run super poorly on PC. For example; Two Worlds.

Also Xbox 360 consoles are kind of cheap on eBay right now, so I am thinking the time is right to replace mine.

I fear that if I wait too long, prices for the console will start to creep upward. This happened with the PS2, and I am glad I got my new one when I did. For a while, you could a new complete system for $50 or less. Now a used one for just the console is above $60 on eBay from reputable sellers with the US.

I also want to download all my games to the drive, which I estimate is just below 85GB worth of storage.

My research into this was inconclusive. I am aware that inside the housing, the drive is a standard 2.5 inch form factor with a SATA connector, but I still have lots of questions.

Can you just plop in a drive and away I go? Does it require certain firmware to work right? What is the SATA speed of the connector? Do certain versions/revisions of the 360 console work better or differently than others with drives?

It will not work. Microsoft use FATX in their drive. So the answer is no. You can try modifying the SSD or look at some internet blackholes of people possibly trying it and see what happens, but it's more likely of no use. I'd just use Xenia for Xbox 360 games.

8 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

It will not work. Microsoft use FATX in their drive. So the answer is no. You can try modifying the SSD or look at some internet blackholes of people possibly trying it and see what happens, but it's more likely of no use. I'd just use Xenia for Xbox 360 games.

Thank you. I will certainly look into Xenia, but out of curiosity, can a hard drive be formatted with FATX and be used in a 360?

28 minutes ago, Ykcud said:

Thank you. I will certainly look into Xenia, but out of curiosity, can a hard drive be formatted with FATX and be used in a 360?

It's not impossible. look into FATXplorer. But from what I remember you will need a moded console and I don't even know if you'd be successful. But yeah Xenia is great and runs everything very well on a modern system specially with decent nvidia gpu from the past 4-5 years. Go into their discord and see what's up.

6 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

It's not impossible. look into FATXplorer. But from what I remember you will need a moded console and I don't even know if you'd be successful. But yeah Xenia is great and runs everything very well on a modern system specially with decent nvidia gpu from the past 4-5 years. Go into their discord and see what's up.

I see. I hope it works with both of my PCs. One has a Ryzen 3600 + RX 6600 and the other a Ryzen 5800X + an RX 6700 XT.