Lines across 2nd monitor while gaming

WolfFoxWhatever

2 weeks ago, I started getting these weird lines across my 2nd monitor when ever I'm playing games. In the video they show as green but have seen some b/w as well as red and blue. 

First off, I thought it was my 2nd monitor that was dying, but switching the game to my 2nd monitor just made the lines appear on my main monitor.
So next was a possible driver issue proceeded to do a complete windows reinstall, but that did not work.
Next, maybe faulty cables? Nope, ordered at whole new set, didn't work.
Ok, so maybe something's not seated correctly then took my whole pc apart at re-seated everything, cleaned it but again not the problem.
So my 1-year-old rx6900xt must be dying, sent it back for an RMA, 2 days later got an email saying there's no problem with it, and they charged me a €25 testing fee + shipping…
Ram? Memtest = pass!
Temps? = sub 70c under time spy.
Bad USB device? = disconnected everything while a game was running, still lines.
I'm out of ideas.

You do realize that if you do a reinstall if windows you can still end up with th same drivers after the reinstall. By that I mean there are sometimes where drivers are messed up inherently and anyone running into that version of drivers would end up having issues and you would want to load older drivers to circumvent this issue. I mean if you uninstalled windows and then you installed the same faulty driver version after the reinstall then you could still have an issue. Anyways I would try and uninstall your current driver version and reinstall a different driver version to see if it is an issue with a certain driver version. 

What happens when you switch outputs on the card? If you have it plugged into hdmi, try another port if you have one or use the display port.

Also, what happens when you reverse the screen assignments in windows? (Make primary secondary and vice versa) does the error stay on the same screen or move with the assignment?

3 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

You do realize that if you do a reinstall if windows you can still end up with th same drivers after the reinstall. By that I mean there are sometimes where drivers are messed up inherently and anyone running into that version of drivers would end up having issues and you would want to load older drivers to circumvent this issue. I mean if you uninstalled windows and then you installed the same faulty driver version after the reinstall then you could still have an issue. Anyways I would try and uninstall your current driver version and reinstall a different driver version to see if it is an issue with a certain driver version. 

That should have been obvious, but I totally missed that.

So I tried to downgrade everything to some pre-2023 drivers, but windows was not happy.

Decided to do another complete re-install but without internet so that I could choose what gets installed, but the Windows 11 installer was throwing a hissyfit so went with Windows 10 instead. Got all my pre-2023 driver installed, and a GOG install for the Witcher 3 but the problem with the line persisted.

3 hours ago, Whatisthis said:

What happens when you switch outputs on the card? If you have it plugged into hdmi, try another port if you have one or use the display port.

Also, what happens when you reverse the screen assignments in windows? (Make primary secondary and vice versa) does the error stay on the same screen or move with the assignment?

Thanks for the response.

I did try to switch cables around from both HDMI, both DP, a mix, new cables and switching the primary monitor. The lines follow witch ever monitor that's not running the game.

Does it happen if you extend the screen across the two displays?

It doesn’t sound like hardware, but why the problem persists across installs is a bit of a mystery.

21 hours ago, Whatisthis said:

Does it happen if you extend the screen across the two displays?

It doesn’t sound like hardware, but why the problem persists across installs is a bit of a mystery.

Thanks again for the response!

Gave AMD-eyeinfinity a shot to "create" one giant monitor and that seemed to do the trick, didn't see any lines across my monitors. So decided to try and disable eyeinfinity and run it in windowed mode across my monitors and something interesting happened, there were lines on both monitors, but they ran behind the windowed game.

After that, I decided to try and run 2 games at once, Witcher 3 "full-screen" on main and minecraft "windowed" on the 2nd. And again the lines went under the minecraft window

Seems like 3D applications causes 2D applications to fail.

20 hours ago, Bjoolz said:

Are you using Freesync or G-Sync?

Normally no, but changing the setting doesn't help with the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

This has to be some kind of driver issue. You could try uninstalling the drivers with DDU and reinstalling an older driver say from end of last year. Sometimes newer drivers cause bugs with older hardware.