HW Monitor Package 108c? 5800x

OutragedMetro
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

@OutragedMetro At this point I would try resetting your bios to auto/defaults, rebooting, setting your XMP profile of 3200Mhz on your ram and seeing if the temps are normal.  I know you would lose your overclocked settings, but it will perform better with precision boost managing the overclock..

Sounds like your AIO isn't working very well at all if that doesn't make any improvement.

My package size just recently started hitting 108c on the cpu as the max Could it be a bad cooler? When it hits 108 c my pc just shuts off. Which I know is for safety. now it is hot outside hitting levels of about 28c for actual weather and I live in a brick apartment building. Not sure if that could be a factor in my PC overheating. If anyone has any advice or could help me it would be greatly Appreciated. interesting thing is I open my side panel and it cools back down to 55.3c now for context my girlfriend has the same build different cooler and hers does not reach these temps.

Update: On a side note it just started doing this 2 days ago.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X

Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk

RAM: 32GB Vengance pro RGB

GPU: Radeon 6700XT

Case: MPG Velox 100R

Screenshot2023-06-02182742.png.d9fcb591a9b12c72df3494cf1e246c9e.png

Your case doesn't seem to be a very airflow focused one, so taking off the side panel helps quiet a bit. What is the cooler your using for the CPU? And what is the ambient room temp? 

Repasting and remounting the CPU cooler might help if the initial mount wasn't very good. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Did you tinker with the Precision Boost settings?  It shouldn't be hitting 164W on auto.  Also check cooler mounting, maybe re-paste as suggested above by @Fred Castellum

22 minutes ago, Fred Castellum said:

Your case doesn't seem to be a very airflow focused one, so taking off the side panel helps quiet a bit. What is the cooler your using for the CPU? And what is the ambient room temp? 

Repasting and remounting the CPU cooler might help if the initial mount wasn't very good. 

Room temps are like 28C according to our thermostat with windows open. As far as the cooler goes its a coolermaster not sure the model but might be Cooler Master Master Liquid ML240L a buddy of mine sent it to me because he upgraded and I was still air cooling the 2700 I had at the time. but since have upgraded to 5800x and b550 tomahawk

16 minutes ago, si1enze said:

Did you tinker with the Precision Boost settings?  It shouldn't be hitting 164W on auto.  Also check cooler mounting, maybe re-paste as suggested above by @Fred Castellum

My buddy helped me overclock it could the overclock be an issue? My girlfriend has the same overclock though. Exact same build same case ETC just different power supply & cooler & ram

Just now, OutragedMetro said:

My buddy helped me overclock it could the overclock be an issue? My girlfriend has the same overclock though.

It's possible yes - I would first verify that the pump is still running in the AIO cooler.  Like, can you feel the vibration of the pump if you put your finger on the cooler, or are the tubes different temperatures?

Just now, si1enze said:

It's possible yes - I would first verify that the pump is still running in the AIO cooler.  Like, can you feel the vibration of the pump if you put your finger on the cooler, or are the tubes different temperatures?

Tubes seem a consistent temp as far as the AIO block I can feel vibrations

@OutragedMetro I would try re-pasting/mounting it to the CPU before anything else since it sounds like the AIO is working.

7 minutes ago, si1enze said:

@OutragedMetro I would try re-pasting/mounting it to the CPU before anything else since it sounds like the AIO is working.

This is what my bios looks like as well. I will give the repaste a try.

345070095_262559513104502_7304869406604642819_n.thumb.jpg.30ba5af77983137915ca1a802d408c64.jpg344668765_958012935529694_5277932719609548891_n.thumb.jpg.c9e0e284b77290e5dc833f660217d0ea.jpg

18 minutes ago, OutragedMetro said:

This is what my bios looks like as well 

345070095_262559513104502_7304869406604642819_n.thumb.jpg.30ba5af77983137915ca1a802d408c64.jpg344668765_958012935529694_5277932719609548891_n.thumb.jpg.c9e0e284b77290e5dc833f660217d0ea.jpg

Just so you know, your CPU will turbo up to 4.85Ghz on it's own with precision boost settings set to auto.  Right now it's actually being limited in performance by being set to a static clock of 4Ghz..

EDIT: Also that second bios picture looks like there is something weird going on.

31 minutes ago, si1enze said:

Just so you know, your CPU will turbo up to 4.85Ghz on it's own with precision boost settings set to auto.  Right now it's actually being limited in performance by being set to a static clock of 4Ghz..

EDIT: Also that second bios picture looks like there is something weird going on.

Reapplied thermal paste and its at 101.9c Idle for the package temp back at max it came down to 60 and is staying between 60c and 70c for the min

Just now, OutragedMetro said:

Reapplied thermal paste and its at 101.9c Idle

If it's mounted firmly and you haven't changed anything in the BIOS since before this started happening, it sounds like the AIO isn't working.

2 minutes ago, OutragedMetro said:

Reapplied thermal paste and its at 101.9c Idle for the package temp back at max it came down to 60 and is staying between 60c and 70c for the min

Oh well that's a little better.. than 101 idle, still High.

@OutragedMetro At this point I would try resetting your bios to auto/defaults, rebooting, setting your XMP profile of 3200Mhz on your ram and seeing if the temps are normal.  I know you would lose your overclocked settings, but it will perform better with precision boost managing the overclock..

Sounds like your AIO isn't working very well at all if that doesn't make any improvement.

5 minutes ago, si1enze said:

Looks like it is an AIO issue so might need a new cooler looking at getting the MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO

2 minutes ago, OutragedMetro said:

Looks like it is an AIO issue so might need a new cooler looking at getting the MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO

Do your research and look at more than just a couple reviews on it before you buy it.  

5 minutes ago, si1enze said:

Do your research and look at more than just a couple reviews on it before you buy it.  

well I have been planning to upgrade to this for a while just been holding off for a bit.

Your temps are WAY off. Even with a crap air cooler your idle temp should be low 50s at max with a 30c ambient.

you said it just started doing this. The only two explanations are that the coolant flow is restricted (dead pump, crap buildup, etc) or the radiator fans are not working. 

I would replace the AIO at this point.

11 hours ago, Whatisthis said:

Your temps are WAY off. Even with a crap air cooler your idle temp should be low 50s at max with a 30c ambient.

you said it just started doing this. The only two explanations are that the coolant flow is restricted (dead pump, crap buildup, etc) or the radiator fans are not working. 

I would replace the AIO at this point.

Thats the plan for now I have defaulted a few things and have ordered a replacement