Maxed out last-gen all AMD build or something else?

Budget (including currency): $1k all inclusive

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: AAA titles at 1440p60, esports titles at 1440p165

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

A friend of mine is considering upgrading their rig from a content creation machine to a gaming-only machine at the end of summer and is planning to spend about $1k USD on all new parts for either a refreshed build or maxing out their current setup. Current build is as follows:

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X

Cooler: Thermalright BA120 (6 heatpipe single 120mm tower)

RAM: 32GB DDR4-3600CL18

Mobo: Asrock B550 PG4

GPU: Nvidia 1070Ti FE

Storage: 1TB 970 Evo Plus + 2TB BX500 + 6TB WD Blue

PSU: Corsair RM650x

I proposed that it would make a lot of sense in the current market to get a 5800X3D ($280) and 6950XT ($600) and reuse everything else in the system as there's no way to get the same amount of performance if a platform swap were to occur. This also has the benefit of not needing a PSU upgrade and considering how expensive PSUs are currently that's a good thing, too. I suggested that they sell the 3900X and 1070Ti and that should put the total upgrade cost at around $550-$600.

Since he is also looking to get into the custom watercooling scene, this build seems perfect for a custom loop given the choice of parts and the amount of budget left over. Since performance comes first this is viewed as a nice to have but keeping temps down will be important as the air temperature in his room swings drastically and can reach 90F/30C during hotter weeks.

For alternative builds I'm thinking 13600K + 4070Ti, which would be about $900 after the old parts are sold. That extra cost seems like a tough pill to swallow considering that RTX is basically not something that he will use (his words, not mine. He's tried playing games with RT at a gaming cafe with 3080s). The 7900XT is about $750 and that seems like a better GPU with more vram and better raster performance so if the budget must be spent I'm thinking I'll recommend that instead.

I've stopped following the high end GPU scene since they shot past $600 so I'm rather out of touch with what is good value and what's a waste of sand. I only started caring about the 6950XT once they became regularly available at $599. Any opinions or comments would be appreciated!

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

Honestly, unless the games being played need top-of-the-line CPU performance to achieve 165fps, the CPU upgrade is unnecessary. The Ryzen 9 3900X isn't a slow CPU, and can certainly handle a 6950XT, 4070Ti, or 7900XT at 1440p.

Basically all AAA titles are going to be GPU bound at that resolution, except maybe with a 4090, and for the e-sports games, I'd be surprised if there are many that the 3900X can't achieve 165fps in.

2 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Honestly, unless the games being played need top-of-the-line CPU performance to achieve 165fps, the CPU upgrade is unnecessary. The Ryzen 9 3900X isn't a slow CPU, and can certainly handle a 6950XT, 4070Ti, or 7900XT at 1440p.

Basically all AAA titles are going to be GPU bound at that resolution, except maybe with a 4090, and for the e-sports games, I'd be surprised if there are many that the 3900X can't achieve 165fps in.

This is very true, however I would like to build in a little bit of headroom for the distinct possibility that a 1440p240 monitor upgrade might be the next step since he's already semipro and wanting to go further down that route. Might be too soon to say, of course, but for AAA games I was under the impression that a 5800X3D would have noticeable uplift over a 3900X even when GPU bound due to the lows being higher. 

Part of my reasoning for this is also thermals, since the 5800X3D runs a lower power draw and probably won't get choked by that massive GPU we're throwing in. Pretty sure the BA120 can handle the higher internal case temps since it handles a 3900X under full load with some headroom, but might not if the case temp were to rise by 5 or 10C. It's a little borderline rn on hot days since it reaches about 85-87C

20 minutes ago, ShadowChaser said:

Pretty sure the BA120 can handle the higher internal case temps

You didnt specify what case it is. If your case ambient is bad a better cooler can still offset it if your airflow is good. In a poorly ventilated case, not so much.

But yeah, +1 on @YoungBlade idea. Go for a 750-850W PSU and get a 7900XT.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

On 6/1/2023 at 9:50 PM, SorryClaire said:

You didnt specify what case it is. If your case ambient is bad a better cooler can still offset it if your airflow is good. In a poorly ventilated case, not so much.

But yeah, +1 on @YoungBlade idea. Go for a 750-850W PSU and get a 7900XT.

Would a new psu be necessary? The 7900XT is a 300W part, less than a 6950XT. Will probably go with a 7900XT then

On 6/2/2023 at 9:10 AM, ShadowChaser said:

I proposed that it would make a lot of sense in the current market to get a 5800X3D ($280) and 6950XT ($600) and reuse everything else in the system as there's no way to get the same amount of performance if a platform swap were to occur. This also has the benefit of not needing a PSU upgrade and considering how expensive PSUs are currently that's a good thing, too. I

6950xt has spikes up to 619W according to Tech power up. And the 5800X3d up to 175w. I'd really look at a stronger psu for that combo. Thats flying pretty close to the sun in my opinion.