Best value for F@H

So I see a bunch of servers on ebay but IDK whats a good deal. Im hoping for abt 1.2K ish give or take like a couple hundred. I think I wanna go for GPU's not CPU's right? Im in the US if anyone wants to find smth

I hit 700W on an i5 with a NHD15

Also I'm 14 so please just confirm anything I say with someone more experienced

And I forgot to include this but is it worth it to get a used mining server

6 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

So I see a bunch of servers on ebay but IDK whats a good deal. Im hoping for abt 1.2K ish give or take like a couple hundred. I think I wanna go for GPU's not CPU's right? Im in the US if anyone wants to find smth

Just get a 7900xt

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

1 minute ago, Blqckqut said:

Just get a 7900xt

will it be faster than a dedicated rig just for mining

Just now, Bob__ said:

will it be faster than a dedicated rig just for mining

idk im just quoting you

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

Just now, Blqckqut said:

idk im just quoting you

thats my advice for most people but AMD is kinda shit for folding, I was just wondering if I should get a server the only ones in my price range are kinda sketchy tho

1 minute ago, Bob__ said:

thats my advice for most people but AMD is kinda shit for folding, I was just wondering if I should get a server the only ones in my price range are kinda sketchy tho

you could watch this video

theres probabmly some suggestions here

also why do u recomend 7900x instead of 7900xtx? 7900xt is barely an improvement over the 6950xt anyway

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

1 minute ago, Blqckqut said:

you could watch this video

theres probabmly some suggestions here

also why do u recomend 7900x instead of 7900xtx? 7900xt is barely an improvement over the 6950xt anyway

cause a lot of people just dont have the budget for a 7900 xtx but I agree with u

do the thing you were talking about like running 20 latops

you dont need an aio for anything but i9 cpus or heavy oc jobs just get an nh-d15 or peerless assassin

MARK THE SOLUTION AS SOLUTION

i am 14 so i may be wrong sometimes

@Bob__ is a w

cause a lot of people just dont have the budget for a 7900 xtx but I agree with u

its better to get a 6950xt for 200 bucks less than a 7900xt for about 10% dip in performance

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

Just now, spaghet rat said:

do the thing you were talking about like running 20 latops

they are not power efficient enough and its too much work

3 minutes ago, Blqckqut said:

its better to get a 6950xt for 200 bucks less than a 7900xt for about 10% dip in performance

maybe but thats assuming that the 7900xt's drivers wont get better in the future like the 6000 series did

maybe but thats assuming that the 7900xt's drivers wont get better in the future like the 6000 series did

i mean im sure amd can pull something out their ^ like they did with 6000 series but judging their current gpu driver updates ignoring all the things that people genuiny want fixed idk if they want to

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Go buy some old nvidia or amd mining gpus, them p106-102 are going for dort cheap

what would they get in folding and also what should I run them in, I only have like a couple PCIe slots on my MB

What's your budget? Target PPD (points per day)? Your cost of electricity? Why are you buying a server? CPU is not effective/efficient for folding. Any older desktop with adequate PCIe slots and power supply for the GPU(s) will do the job.

For example, my cost of electricity is very high so I upgraded to the RTX 40-series since they're quite efficient.

Here's a lovely resource to give you an idea of different GPU PPD output and also power efficiency. https://folding.lar.systems/gpu_ppd/overall_ranks_power_to_ppd

2 minutes ago, Chachunka said:

What's your budget?

think I said that in the original post but its 1.2K give or take a couple hundred

2 minutes ago, Chachunka said:

Target PPD (points per day)?

more than the 500K I'm getting with my current setup, ideally the most possible

3 minutes ago, Chachunka said:

Your cost of electricity?

0, I'm 14

3 minutes ago, Chachunka said:

Why are you buying a server?

To fold and other server stuff, maybe game hosting and screwing with things. I want a server because it seemed like the best bang for the buck

4 minutes ago, Chachunka said:

CPU is not effective/efficient for folding. Any older desktop with adequate PCIe slots and power supply for the GPU(s) will do the job.

I don't have that rn, I'm 14 and the only one I have is my current PC which has like 1

Given your situation and budget, my suggestion would be to upgrade your existing PC. Put in a 4070TI ($800) and if you need to, upgrade the power supply for it. You'll be doing probably at least 8 million PPD with that one card and you'll be able to do some solid gaming on the side.

If you want a server to mess around with, make sure you do some research on them. For example, rack mount servers are designed for dedicated server rooms or data centers. Noise is not a concern in those enviornments but I'm sure someone at home will mind if there's a screaming banshee in the garage.

24 minutes ago, Chachunka said:

upgrade the power supply for it

is a EVGA 1000 G6 enough?

24 minutes ago, Chachunka said:

If you want a server to mess around with, make sure you do some research on them. For example, rack mount servers are designed for dedicated server rooms or data centers. Noise is not a concern in those enviornments but I'm sure someone at home will mind if there's a screaming banshee in the garage.

K thanks, but also are there any server options? Also I've heard things of doing smth with the inverse of sounds canceling them out? is this possible with good speakers and the servers