First lil server question

Hello everyone.

Been upgrading my network in my house recently. I've now got Deco M9 meshes around the house, along with Hue lighting and ethernet to most rooms.

Having all the cables loose obviously doesn't look the best so I am wanting to get a small server rack for the floor. Then have the router, Main Deco and Hue controller all air cooled.

I've found an okay cabinet, along with a fan front panel.

So my plan is to have the tray probably on the bottom with the fan intake, then everything i want air cooled in there. Above I'd have the patch panel, switch etc.

My main question is, how would I power the fans?

I don't have a PC or anything in it so I'm not fully sure how I'd do it.

Any help would be appreciated and I've linked the stuff I plan to get below.

Thank you all very much.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000VDPBXM/?coliid=I1RIOU7D5Z18KP&colid=1ESHVS95AQ1RG&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Metal-Parts-Rack-Panel-Fans/dp/B00APFEZ0G/ref=sr_1_22?crid=1OSLZ5ZHXP00Z&keywords=server+rack+with+fans&qid=1685114098&sprefix=server+rack+with+fans%2Caps%2C70&sr=8-22

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-1U-Rack-Shelf-Cantilever/dp/B071YP4JL5/ref=sr_1_3?crid=IHGB5DOOV3EE&keywords=server+rack+tray&qid=1685117755&sprefix=server+rack+tra%2Caps%2C75&sr=8-3

There are two good options in my opinion:
Option 1: 
Get a AC/DC adapter for 12V and power standard PC fans with it. If you want to speed control them, you could get a buck converter and lower the voltage. Or you could go a bit more fancy and build or buy a standalone fan controller. There are lots of arduino / esp projects wich exactly your goal in mind. Option 1 involves some tinkering and you should be comfortable with it.

Option 2: Get a mains voltage fan. There are standard sized (same sizes as case fans) mains voltage fans. But for your usecase you have more options. You can get them even with a already attached plug. So just put them in a socket and you're done. 

2 hours ago, JamesHewitt said:

Hello everyone.

Been upgrading my network in my house recently. I've now got Deco M9 meshes around the house, along with Hue lighting and ethernet to most rooms.

Having all the cables loose obviously doesn't look the best so I am wanting to get a small server rack for the floor. Then have the router, Main Deco and Hue controller all air cooled.

I've found an okay cabinet, along with a fan front panel.

So my plan is to have the tray probably on the bottom with the fan intake, then everything i want air cooled in there. Above I'd have the patch panel, switch etc.

My main question is, how would I power the fans?

I don't have a PC or anything in it so I'm not fully sure how I'd do it.

Any help would be appreciated and I've linked the stuff I plan to get below.

Thank you all very much.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000VDPBXM/?coliid=I1RIOU7D5Z18KP&colid=1ESHVS95AQ1RG&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Metal-Parts-Rack-Panel-Fans/dp/B00APFEZ0G/ref=sr_1_22?crid=1OSLZ5ZHXP00Z&keywords=server+rack+with+fans&qid=1685114098&sprefix=server+rack+with+fans%2Caps%2C70&sr=8-22

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-1U-Rack-Shelf-Cantilever/dp/B071YP4JL5/ref=sr_1_3?crid=IHGB5DOOV3EE&keywords=server+rack+tray&qid=1685117755&sprefix=server+rack+tra%2Caps%2C75&sr=8-3

All PC fans are 12v DC, but at lower voltages will just spin slower. So you can find AC power to 3 pin adapter (I think), can definitely find USB to 3 pin fan, and then just use a USB power adapter for a phone, they will just be at 5v which is fine. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

On 5/26/2023 at 7:57 PM, LIGISTX said:

All PC fans are 12v DC, but at lower voltages will just spin slower. So you can find AC power to 3 pin adapter (I think), can definitely find USB to 3 pin fan, and then just use a USB power adapter for a phone, they will just be at 5v which is fine. 

Sorry for the late response!

Thank you guys, didn't know you could actually get USB adapted ones. Shame there's no USB 3.0 to fans as it would make it a bit better however I will go with that option 🙂

24 minutes ago, JamesHewitt said:

Sorry for the late response!

Thank you guys, didn't know you could actually get USB adapted ones. Shame there's no USB 3.0 to fans as it would make it a bit better however I will go with that option 🙂

Why would usb 3.0 be any different? USB A is more or less USB A, at least as far as a fan power adapter would be concerned. 

If you meant USB C, you can always just get a C to A adapter. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air