Digitizing DVDs and Blue-rays

Mr.Funk

Long story short I’ve been on the hunt for a solution, guide, or even a simple how to on digitizing my collection of DVDs and Blue-rays. So far I’ve found a lot of information about programs, formats, and storage solutions, but not many how to guides. Wanted to post here and get the communities input and suggestions. Would like to start out by ripping or digitizing (not sure what the correct term is) DVDs and Blue-rays onto a SSD for use in my computer. Just not sure where to start, what formats to use, or programs. Eventually I’d like to be able to stream anywhere in the house, or remotely if that’s even possible. 

In this case you'd be ripping the discs. They're already digital, so you won't be digitizing them. 

Personally I just use MakeMKV to rip my discs. It's always worked well for me for both DVDs and Blu-rays, including 4K Blu-rays. I use Plex to watch the files remotely. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

MakeMKV to rip the disks (Dvds are free, Blu Ray's require the premium version but there's a 30 day free trial with it), it's the best one I've used, and Plex or Jellyfin to stream it anywhere. There's debate over which one is better between Plex and Jellyfin, there's dozens of comparison charts out there that you can find to see which is better for you. I find Plex a bit easier to setup, so it's what I've been using, though I have been experimenting with Jellyfin as of recent so that might change in the future. 

15 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

MakeMKV to rip the disks (Dvds are free, Blu Ray's require the premium version but there's a 30 day free trial with it),

Also so far, that 30 day trial can be extended indefinitely by just getting the latest beta code.  Although I use it enough (mostly just to verify my Blurays aren't damaged without having to watch them immediately, as had issues with scratches and faults on newer releases) I just paid for a full license so I never need to think about it again.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Also so far, that 30 day trial can be extended indefinitely by just getting the latest beta code.  Although I use it enough (mostly just to verify my Blurays aren't damaged without having to watch them immediately, as had issues with scratches and faults on newer releases) I just paid for a full license so I never need to think about it again.

Good to know, I've never had it on a windows install for long enough to actually run out the trial (long story). 

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

Good to know, I've never had it on a windows install for long enough to actually run out the trial (long story). 

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1053

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Best advice for 4k blue rays?

I have a normal blue ray drive in my PC and a 4k blue ray player for my TV.

My PC can't read 4k discs and my 4k Panasonic DP-UB154 only has a hdmi out. There is a USB on it but it doesn't work when connected to my PC. It's only for USB sticks etc.

How do you deal with 4k Blur-Rays?

On 5/25/2023 at 10:32 PM, Mr.Funk said:

Long story short I’ve been on the hunt for a solution, guide, or even a simple how to on digitizing my collection of DVDs and Blue-rays. So far I’ve found a lot of information about programs, formats, and storage solutions, but not many how to guides. Wanted to post here and get the communities input and suggestions. Would like to start out by ripping or digitizing (not sure what the correct term is) DVDs and Blue-rays onto a SSD for use in my computer. Just not sure where to start, what formats to use, or programs. Eventually I’d like to be able to stream anywhere in the house, or remotely if that’s even possible. 

Here is one such guide!

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20438

I mirror the suggestions to use MakeMKV - it's an incredible program.

At it's most basic, you can use it to rip and store perfect quality copies of the discs. For DVD's, I definitely recommend using Handbrake or a similar program to compress the video afterwards (DVD video codec is incredibly inefficient by modern standards) - you can shrink the video size substantially with no noticeable quality loss.

For ripping Blu-Rays, it gets a bit more subjective. You can still compress Blu-Ray rips using Handbrake and save some space with little to no noticeable quality loss - sometimes as much as half the space savings (Going from a 15GB rip to 8GB, for example). I recommend using an RF 18 setting in Handbrake for Blu-Rays, and an RF setting of 20 for DVD's (or even 22, if you'd rather save more space). RF is a constant quality metric that's more intelligent then simply using a constant bitrate or a simple variable bitrate.

On 5/27/2023 at 7:53 AM, Hazgebu said:

Best advice for 4k blue rays?

4K Blu-ray's gets way trickier. You need to buy a very specific Blu-Ray drive, with a very specific firmware level to get 4K Blu-Rays to work in MakeMKV.

Here's a list of confirmed working drives and firmware, including a list of people to buy pre-flashed drives from:

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634

On 5/27/2023 at 7:53 AM, Hazgebu said:

I have a normal blue ray drive in my PC and a 4k blue ray player for my TV.

My PC can't read 4k discs and my 4k Panasonic DP-UB154 only has a hdmi out. There is a USB on it but it doesn't work when connected to my PC. It's only for USB sticks etc.

How do you deal with 4k Blur-Rays?

See above - unless you lucked out, and all your drive needs is a firmware update, you probably need to buy a new drive.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 5/25/2023 at 10:32 PM, Mr.Funk said:

Plex îs an excellent solution to stream to devices. But there are other alternatives as well. I personally do use Plex. 

As far as formats are concerned, your best bet if taking a good look at your devices and seeing what they support. Find a format that a majority of your devices support and use that one. Plex can do on the fly transcoding both software and hardware. Hardware transcoding requires you to pay for Plex however. That all being said, if you plan on doing any 4K content it's recommended you dont transcode 4K content, requires a lot of CPU/GPU horsepower. So if you do 4K, make sure you also make a copy that is of a lower resolution. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.