Linux on MacBook

Go to solution Solved by Inception9269,

Hello guys, recently I bought a used MacBook Pro 2017, its my first time using a MacBook and I really miss dual boot, I used to have on my old laptop.

Is it possible and do you guys have and tutorial on how to install linux on a 2017 MacBook Pro? 

I'm hoping that I can use Kali linux.

Sorry for any words misspelled, a Brazilian friend here 😉

Ty for your time and help

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

not really macbook but, I had an Ibook G4 12" (when they launched) once, I put Gentoo on that thing straight away...

and that was powerpc arch.

there was a bit of hardware support for it, primarily due to the powerpc being an IBM thing, then there was a period of excellent support, the mac intel era, especially the start of it , since it also ran Windows, as a last option you could always use the windows drivers if you really could not find one that worked on Linux. at least for minipci/pci network and communication-related hardware, but at that time, those were the most problematic on Linux so...

that being said I heard that near the end of the intel mac era apple became much more protective about releasing specifics of their hardware, as well as pressuring manufacturers of that hardware to release nothing. now with the latest generation m1 I assume we're worse off than during the powerpc era.

so I think you're lucky and you should find many distro's that work flawlessly,... but for maybe the fingerprinting sensors (if it has one ) and other hardware that is security related.... as far as bootloaders go, try this fork of refind:https://github.com/dakanji/RefindPlus

• 1 month later...

Hello good afternoon! My names Chris & I am actually considering to run Linux on a 2009 MacBook Pro vs using open core osx. I have done some homework but still curious on what is the best or advised Linux Distro that works the best in this project, I have seen Endeavor OS due to the automatic driver installs and updates. Besides that I don’t know what direction to go. Any advice would be greatly appreciated