HDD's not showing up after Mainboard Change

Go to solution Solved by Robchil,
8 minutes ago, VerminKing said:

The old cables haven't worked either, already tried that.
In the BIOS it shows the SATA ports and that nothing is connected, but I do not even get an option to enable/disable any ports.

mainboards have different sataports disabled when using m.2 ports, they are usually linked.. check your mainboard manual for what ports are disabled. and use other ports

As the title states I recently changed my Mainboard from an Gigabyte Aorus x570 Elite to a NZXT N7 B550.

I plugged in all my Drives the same as before and my M.2 Drives work just fine, but my HDD's do not show up even in the BIOS.

First I thought my BIOS version is outdated so I updated it from 1.52 to 1.70, but that didn't help. I also checked if both HDD's mysteriously died at the same time, but they are definitely still running.

Resetting the BIOS to default also didn't help.

I can't update the drivers for the HDD's because they don't show up in Disk Management and the Manufacturers Website doesn't have them anymore.

I have searched the Internet for causes/solutions for countless times, but I just can't figure it out.

I've read that sometimes you need to enable CSM support for drives to show up but as far as I understand that should only matter for boot drives or have I got that wrong and that might be my solution?

are the drives showing in the bios are thay ploged in did you try to swap the cable or connect it to a different hedar 

22 minutes ago, Gefen gamer said:

are the drives showing in the bios are thay ploged in did you try to swap the cable or connect it to a different hedar 

No as I stated they're not showing up in the BIOS, I changed the cables to brand new ones and I tried all Mainboard Headers with no luck.

Try the old cables. 

in bios make sure that the sata ports are enabled if that’s an option. 

10 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

Try the old cables. 

in bios make sure that the sata ports are enabled if that’s an option. 

In the BIOS it shows the SATA ports and that nothing is connected, but I do not even get an option to enable/disable any ports.

8 minutes ago, VerminKing said:

mainboards have different sataports disabled when using m.2 ports, they are usually linked.. check your mainboard manual for what ports are disabled. and use other ports

1 hour ago, VerminKing said:

As the title states I recently changed my Mainboard from an Gigabyte Aorus x570 Elite to a NZXT N7 B550.

I plugged in all my Drives the same as before and my M.2 Drives work just fine, but my HDD's do not show up even in the BIOS.

First I thought my BIOS version is outdated so I updated it from 1.52 to 1.70, but that didn't help. I also checked if both HDD's mysteriously died at the same time, but they are definitely still running.

Resetting the BIOS to default also didn't help.

I can't update the drivers for the HDD's because they don't show up in Disk Management and the Manufacturers Website doesn't have them anymore.

I have searched the Internet for causes/solutions for countless times, but I just can't figure it out.

I've read that sometimes you need to enable CSM support for drives to show up but as far as I understand that should only matter for boot drives or have I got that wrong and that might be my solution?

What made you swap boards in the first place? Did you have any encryption running on those HDDs?

33 minutes ago, Robchil said:

Oh I didn't know that, guess I'll have to try all ports again and see if it works now. Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

What made you swap boards in the first place? Did you have any encryption running on those HDDs?

I had some Internet issues I couldn't figure out and wanted to test if my ethernet port was the cause. It wasn't but I liked the board so I kept it. Was planning to completely upgrade my PC anyways. I had no encryption running prior but after changing the board I ran into a lot of issues relating Bitlocker when trying to upgrade BIOS and when I installed a new CPU despite not having it and not even being able to activate it. No idea if that relates to my HDD troubles.

3 minutes ago, VerminKing said:

I had some Internet issues I couldn't figure out and wanted to test if my ethernet port was the cause. It wasn't but I liked the board so I kept it. Was planning to completely upgrade my PC anyways. I had no encryption running prior but after changing the board I ran into a lot of issues relating Bitlocker when trying to upgrade BIOS and when I installed a new CPU despite not having it and not even being able to activate it. No idea if that relates to my HDD troubles.

Did you get a used motherboard or a brand new one? Try clearing CMOS. Seems trivial but did you check the power cables? Are the drives spinning up at all? You are obviously having another drive to boot off that works so we can assume the CPU is fine. Have you tried different plugs on that board and running a single drive by itself? What about the old board, do you still have that. You did downgrade your system fron X570 to B550 but besides that, if a network port would die, you would get a dedicated network card to replace it instead of swapping out the entire board. Windows may not show the drives if something wonky is going on. Try Mini Tool Partition Wizard, its free to use and always works for me. If it doesn't show the drives then the board can't find them either. If they spin (put your hand on them, should be able to tell), it means the board is bad.

2 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Did you get a used motherboard or a brand new one? Try clearing CMOS. Seems trivial but did you check the power cables? Are the drives spinning up at all? You are obviously having another drive to boot off that works so we can assume the CPU is fine. Have you tried different plugs on that board and running a single drive by itself? What about the old board, do you still have that. You did downgrade your system fron X570 to B550 but besides that, if a network port would die, you would get a dedicated network card to replace it instead of swapping out the entire board. Windows may not show the drives if something wonky is going on. Try Mini Tool Partition Wizard, its free to use and always works for me. If it doesn't show the drives then the board can't find them either. If they spin (put your hand on them, should be able to tell), it means the board is bad.

It's a brand new one yes. I checked all the cables and swapped them just in case for the new ones I got with the B550. The Hard Drives are definitely spinning, both vibrate. Yeah I wasn't really thinking much when picking another board, I was just really annoyed because the issue was going on for month ( in the end it was yet again my providers fault). I'll try that tool after I tried what Robchill mentioned with the SATA ports. Thanks for the tips.

9 minutes ago, VerminKing said:

It's a brand new one yes. I checked all the cables and swapped them just in case for the new ones I got with the B550. The Hard Drives are definitely spinning, both vibrate. Yeah I wasn't really thinking much when picking another board, I was just really annoyed because the issue was going on for month ( in the end it was yet again my providers fault). I'll try that tool after I tried what Robchill mentioned with the SATA ports. Thanks for the tips.

• M2_2 and SATA3_5_6 share lanes.

Thanks alot both of you @Robchil and @Applefreak. In the End Rob was right, I used the wrong SATA Ports. Didn't even think about M.2 Slots sharing Lanes with the standard SATA ports.
I plugged the drives into Port 1 and 2 and they showed up in Windows right away.

Guess that's my reminder that sometimes manuals indeed have some useful Information 😄