Help with my Slow wifi speeds

FishOutaWater
Go to solution Solved by FishOutaWater,

Found the Solution, After searching thinking I was the only one with this problem I found I was wrong. A lot of others have had this problem and it has to do with some of Intel's network chipsets and also sort of to do with my ISP which is Verizon. 

https://community.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet-and-High-Speed/Extremely-slow-upload-speed-wired/m-p/1578871#M95663

I didn't really know what to put as the title so bear with me. I recently upgraded my motherboard along with a few other things like ram, and an AIO. After I got done I noticed it takes forever to load webpages or even just doesn't load at all. I'm wired getting 700 down and less than an MB upload speed. I've searched the internet, bought new ethernet, and tried so many things that just don't work. I eventually used Ookla instead of the normal Google and what I found was that my computer only has a problem with one specific wifi server but as soon as it uses an optimal server I get 800 down and 900 up. This would be fine if I could tell my computer to not use the worse server but it seems like it doesn't want to do that, so until I find a solution I'm stuck with insanely slow speeds. 

Change your DNS settings from auto to the Google DNS or Open DNS addresses and see if that improves it.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

8 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Change your DNS settings from auto to the Google DNS or Open DNS addresses and see if that improves it.

It didn't do much, I went from a .1 MBPS upload speed to .90 which is still horrible. 

Screenshot 2023-05-17 183521.png

4 minutes ago, FishOutaWater said:

It didn't do much, I went from a .1 MBPS upload speed to .90 which is still horrible. 

Screenshot 2023-05-17 183521.png

Yeah something is up with your ISP, probably best to just call them to see what they can do. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Just now, SpookyCitrus said:

Yeah something is up with your ISP, probably best to just call them to see what they can do. 

I'm not too sure because I've tested other devices (My phone, laptop, and brother's computer) and they all work with min. 200 upload speed. 

Update: It might not be my PC at all, it seems like it's just chrome. I can get good speeds downloading games on multiple platforms, discord works without a problem, Ect. It is just chrome, and yet I still cant find a solution. 

13 hours ago, FishOutaWater said:

Update: It might not be my PC at all, it seems like it's just chrome. I can get good speeds downloading games on multiple platforms, discord works without a problem, Ect. It is just chrome, and yet I still cant find a solution. 

How many extensions?

Uninstall and reinstall fresh. Then add your extensions one at a time to see if it is the fault of a particular one.

6 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

How many extensions?

Uninstall and reinstall fresh. Then add your extensions one at a time to see if it is the fault of a particular one.

Nope, same thing with all of them off. Its just weird because before I upgraded it was completly fine so im not sure what changed. It doesn't really make sense for the new part to be a problem or anything though since its only google which is doing this, idk if some other browser will just be better. 

47 minutes ago, FishOutaWater said:

Nope, same thing with all of them off. Its just weird because before I upgraded it was completly fine so im not sure what changed. It doesn't really make sense for the new part to be a problem or anything though since its only google which is doing this, idk if some other browser will just be better. 

That's not exactly what I suggested.

Try resetting Chrome or completely uninstalling then reinstalling Chrome.

Also, did you completely remove the old network drivers and install the ones for your new motherboard?

22 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

That's not exactly what I suggested.

Try resetting Chrome or completely uninstalling then reinstalling Chrome.

Also, did you completely remove the old network drivers and install the ones for your new motherboard?

I uninstalled chrome completely before but had the extentions still should i remove everything and try again? 
What I just did which helped by like 2MBPS was went to "chrome://flags/" and turned on "Parallel downloading" which gave me the slightest boost. I also flushed DNS and reset winsock for the 800th time for it to be the same. I did try to find the drivers for my motherboard but im not to sure if they were up to date/ the right ones. My mother board is a, "Asrock H570 PHANTOM GAMING 4 Intel H570 LGA 1200 ATX" if that helps much. 

I also haven't messed with updating Bios yet. 

14 minutes ago, FishOutaWater said:

I uninstalled chrome completely before but had the extentions still should i remove everything and try again? 

Reset Chrome.

15 minutes ago, FishOutaWater said:

What I just did which helped by like 2MBPS was went to "chrome://flags/" and turned on "Parallel downloading" which gave me the slightest boost.

Should be on by default. If you reset Chrome, it should fix settings.

16 minutes ago, FishOutaWater said:

I did try to find the drivers for my motherboard but im not to sure if they were up to date/ the right ones. My mother board is a, "Asrock H570 PHANTOM GAMING 4 Intel H570 LGA 1200 ATX" if that helps much. 

Use the motherboard manufacturer's website.

15 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Reset Chrome.

Should be on by default. If you reset Chrome, it should fix settings.

Use the motherboard manufacturer's website.

Reset chrome, installed drivers again, and nothing changed 

I reset Chrome again and removed every extension and even with a clean slate nothing changed. 

I reset my router and for a brief second, I got 200mb/s upload speed which confuses me because now its back down to less then 1mb/s. I assume this means it has something to do with my ISP but I don't understand why it's only my PC. 

14 minutes ago, FishOutaWater said:

I reset my router and for a brief second, I got 200mb/s upload speed which confuses me because now its back down to less then 1mb/s. I assume this means it has something to do with my ISP but I don't understand why it's only my PC. 

Nope, ran a speed test using ISP website and got amazing speeds. It seems like Google just doesn't want to connect to the most optimized/efficient server and it causes me problems. 

Screenshot 2023-05-18 191522.png

18 minutes ago, FishOutaWater said:

Nope, ran a speed test using ISP website and got amazing speeds. It seems like Google just doesn't want to connect to the most optimized/efficient server and it causes me problems. 

As in you're using Google's 'Internet Speed Test' when you do a search for speed test at google.com?

If so, that is notoriously unreliable since the servers can be very far from you.

SpeedTest.net/Ookla and fast.com are much more consistent because they're likely to have servers near to you (even in your ISP's own data center).

41 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

As in you're using Google's 'Internet Speed Test' when you do a search for speed test at google.com?

If so, that is notoriously unreliable since the servers can be very far from you.

SpeedTest.net/Ookla and fast.com are much more consistent because they're likely to have servers near to you (even in your ISP's own data center).

Yea I used Ookla before and it gives me good speeds but it seems like google doesn't use the proper server when running for example like a youtube video its extremely slow and not able to run in 1080p  

Found the Solution, After searching thinking I was the only one with this problem I found I was wrong. A lot of others have had this problem and it has to do with some of Intel's network chipsets and also sort of to do with my ISP which is Verizon. 

https://community.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet-and-High-Speed/Extremely-slow-upload-speed-wired/m-p/1578871#M95663