2x M.2 NVME drives: connect both to CPU integrated slots, or 1 to the CPU and the other to the chipset?

manchonator
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
3 minutes ago, manchonator said:

Having 2 drives, I am wondering if they could use up each other's bandwidth and end up not using them to their full potential

Nope, on that board they do not share bandwidth and each get 4 lanes directly from the CPU. No reason not to use them both. 

Hi all!

I want to connect two M.2 NVME drives to my motherboard, which has two M.2 slots to the CPU and one to the chipset (Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX). All these slots are compatible with my M.2 drives' gen.

Should I connect both drives to the CPU slots, or one to the CPU and the other to the chipset?

As I understand it, the slots that go directly to the CPU are faster, so if I had only one M.2 drive everyone recommends to use those slots. 

Having 2 drives, I am wondering if they could use up each other's bandwidth and end up not using them to their full potential (even if knowing what I will store in each one makes it unlikely that they would be used at the same time), and thus wondering if I may want to use one of the CPU slots for the "main" drive, and connect the "secondary" one to the chipset slot.

Thanks in advance!

3 minutes ago, manchonator said:

Having 2 drives, I am wondering if they could use up each other's bandwidth and end up not using them to their full potential

Nope, on that board they do not share bandwidth and each get 4 lanes directly from the CPU. No reason not to use them both. 

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Well, that was incredibly fast, clear and useful... =D

Thank you SO MUCH!