Issue with many games when switching from AMD's integrated GPU to Nvidia graphics card

Delicieuxz

I built a Zen 4 PC easlier this year, and ran it using the AMD integrated GPU for some months, with a plan to move my RTX 3080 from my old PC into the new one, once I no longer needed it in the old PC. I installed the RTX 3080 in the new PC a couple of days ago, and installed Nvidia's driver. The installation of Nvidia's driver package took an abnormally long time, and there was a missing OpenCL.dll error during the installation.

After the installation, every game that I ran would crash in under a minute of launching (often within seconds, or wouldn't launch at all. I ran DDU and uninstalled both the Nvidia and AMD display drivers, and then reinstalled the Nvidia driver. But I still had the same issue after doing that.

I found that I had to uninstall and reinstall individual games to get them to work properly. The games themselves were still trying to use AMD's display driver, which I guess had broken during the installation of Nvidia's driver, or maybe were encountering a conflict with the games trying to use the Nvidia graphics card with the AMD driver. Most older games, I didn't need to reinstall. But most newer games, I had to reinstall to get to work. It's like they hard-coded themselves to use the AMD integrated graphics display driver when I first launched them using the AMD integrated GPU.

Just wanted to report this issue when going from using AMD's integrated graphics to an Nvidia card.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

3 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

I built a Zen 4 PC easlier this year, and ran it using the AMD integrated GPU for some months, with a plan to move my RTX 3080 from my old PC into the new one, once I no longer needed it in the old PC. I installed the RTX 3080 in the new PC a couple of days ago, and installed Nvidia's driver. The installation of Nvidia's driver package took an abnormally long time, and there was a missing OpenCL.dll error during the installation.

After the installation, every game that I ran would crash in under a minute of launching (often within seconds, or wouldn't launch at all. I ran DDU and uninstalled both the Nvidia and AMD display drivers, and then reinstalled the Nvidia driver. But I still had the same issue after doing that.

I found that I had to uninstall and reinstall individual games to get them to work properly. The games themselves were still trying to use AMD's display driver, which I guess had broken during the installation of Nvidia's driver, or maybe were encountering a conflict with the games trying to use the Nvidia graphics card with the AMD driver. Most older games, I didn't need to reinstall. But most newer games, I had to reinstall to get to work. It's like they hard-coded themselves to use the AMD integrated graphics display driver when I first launched them using the AMD integrated GPU.

Just wanted to report this issue when going from using AMD's integrated graphics to an Nvidia card.

I'm running a laptop with amd integrated and Nvidia 3050ti, have never had a problem like that. Seamlessly switches between the two and don't get driver errors like that. Try installing an older driver to see if the issue persists, and if it does, it may just be an issue with that driver version.

3 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

I'm running a laptop with amd integrated and Nvidia 3050ti, have never had a problem like that. Seamlessly switches between the two and don't get driver errors like that. Try installing an older driver to see if the issue persists, and if it does, it may just be an issue with that driver version.

I've already fixed the issue now, but I had to reinstall many newer (as in, from the previous 8 or so years) games for them to work after installing the RTX 3080 and its driver.

Some games which started working after I reinstalled them include:

Civilization VI

Civilization: Beyond Earth

Jedi: Fallen Order

GTA V

And some others.

Uncharted 4 has an option in the settings menu to switch the display driver in the game. I switched it from AMD, which it defaulted to, to the Nvidia display driver. If it didn't have that, I likely would have also had to reinstall it, to get it working.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

With Steam I have found if you verify game files after installing a new GPU it can fix it.. I had the issue with Anno 1800, going from an old AMD card to a 2080,  Using DDU and everything Anno wouldn't work or would open and crash quickly.  Doing the verify game files fixed the issue.