Known good SSD causing freezes on a new PC

AsimMaj

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a new PC with the following specs:

• Processor: i5-12400

• Graphics card: RTX 3050

• Motherboard: MSI Pro B660m e

• Storage: 256GB SATA HIKVISION E100 SSD with a fresh Windows 11 install.

However, for the past week, I've been experiencing slight freezes and overall less responsiveness, especially compared to my brother's PC. The computer randomly freezes for a couple of seconds with no correlation to the load, but I can force it to freeze by loading up multiple programs, such as Chrome tabs, Microsoft Visual Studio and MS Word.

I have noticed that whenever the computer freezes, the average response time for the SSD goes well above 10 and is around 100ms. Sometimes, I've seen it reach 5000ms along with 100% usage! When this happens, I can't even take screenshots to record high SSD usage because the system goes unresponsive.

Here are the steps I've taken to troubleshoot the issue so far:

• Disabled superfetch and search indexing

• Checked if AHCI is enabled and confirmed it is

• Enabled VMD in BIOS, but it stopped me from booting up entirely, so I had to undo back to AHCI

• Updated the BIOS, but that didn't help either

• Plugged the SSD in another SATA port and got a new SATA cable

• Placed the SSD infront of a fan

Lastly, I was about to order an NVME SSD because I lost all faith in this one, but I decided to test it on my brother's i5-11400 and ASUS B560 PC, and over there the same SSD with the same windows install was working flawlessly without even installing any drivers. I loaded up a game on the SSD while simultaneously loading up Chrome, Visual Studio, Word, all this right after a boot up and the SSD touched 100% for barely a frame whilst staying below ~50ms. So it must be something other than the SSD but I have no idea where to begin.

Can anyone offer any advice on what else I can try to troubleshoot this issue? Thank you in advance for your help!
20230514_141804-min.thumb.jpg.1c19486de9415b8842aa8d1a22f41533.jpg

there might be a problem with your RAM as i can see from the above info try using your brothers RAM stick in your pc and try again

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried out my brother's RAM for a bit. I was in a hurry so I couldn't extensively test it but it did seem like it was slightly better if at all. I'll try to test it out more tonight and see if it makes any significant difference. I'll keep you posted.

See what process is taking all the disk resources. I’ve seen antivirus do things like this.

9 hours ago, AsimMaj said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried out my brother's RAM for a bit. I was in a hurry so I couldn't extensively test it but it did seem like it was slightly better if at all. I'll try to test it out more tonight and see if it makes any significant difference. I'll keep you posted.

Okay I tested it vigorously and found that its not the RAM. It still randomly freezes with my brothers RAM.

8 hours ago, UnusualDevices said:

also might want to check for an updated motherboard bios

I've already updated to latest motherboard BIOS.

6 hours ago, Whatisthis said:

See what process is taking all the disk resources. I’ve seen antivirus do things like this.

It's quite random, sometimes its defender but most times its the application I am using during the freezes. Also if it were the antivirus or some other background program shouldn't it also happen on my brother's computer, where I placed the same SSD with the same programs and windows install?

Thanks for the responses and help, everyone!