Will my T50RP headphones benefit from an external DAC+Amp?

D3AN

I've been researching for a solid week and I've been finding a lot of conflicting information and need some help. I've been reading and some people say that as long as you dont hear any background noise from PC interference and your volumes are loud enough, you will not benefit from a DAC+Amp.  

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/gain-and-headphone-ampsdacs.html

Right now I'm using my PC (Realtek ALC889 codec) to play FLAC files through the headphones and they sound great. The volume at 60% is comfortable to listen to for hours and these headphones are just the best headphones I've ever heard. There is no static or hissing that I can hear either.

Since I've never listened to a high end pair of headphones through a DAC+Amp, I want to know if I can improve on the sound that I'm currently getting with my setup. So with my listening experience now (clear audio + comfortable volume @ 60% max volume) will I perceive any noticeable changes in sound if I buy a DAC+Amp? 

Will I hear things or experience sound differently so that I'd call the DAC+Amp a necessary upgrade?

Thanks

I can hear a slight difference. As for if it's worth spending money on an o2 amp, well that's up to you. If it's for the audio only I would say no but I really like the volume knob and the RCA output to the back lets me avoid using splitters for my speakers. 

It's hard to find a speaker that won't benefit from an amplifier in some fashion.

My sound card came with a headphone amp ("built-in 600 ohm, 80mW TI TPA6120"...whatever that means), I've got a pair of V-Moda M-80's and it definitely helped increase the sound quality. To me, the amp made everything sound fuller, and added some clarity. I'm not an audiophile by any means though.

just my 2c

I should add, the DAC+Amp I was looking into was the O2/ODAC.

It depends on the specs of what you are using right now. When people say "do I need a DAC/Amp" they mean "do I need a different DAC/Amp to the one I'm already using?". In order to listen to headphones, you need both, and every motherboard has them.

The T50RP need a fair bit of grunt to sound their best, especially if they are modded (the extra damping is essentially absorbing sound so requires more power to reach the same perceived volume).

Your onboard sound might be enough, but the chances are you'll get more out of them from a dedicated external amp. One thing which is sure is that a better DAC will help. 

It depends on the specs of what you are using right now. When people say "do I need a DAC/Amp" they mean "do I need a different DAC/Amp to the one I'm already using?". In order to listen to headphones, you need both, and every motherboard has them.

The T50RP need a fair bit of grunt to sound their best, especially if they are modded (the extra damping is essentially absorbing sound so requires more power to reach the same perceived volume).

Your onboard sound might be enough, but the chances are you'll get more out of them from a dedicated external amp. One thing which is sure is that a better DAC will help. 

Exactly what I was trying to say :P, but I want to know more specifically what you mean by "get more out of them (the headphones.)" Like, if you could describe what the improvement would be that would be awesome. 

Also, are onboard DACs that bad for you to say that a better DAC will help? Cause I have the same onboard chip as the one reviewed in the Tom's link I posted and according to their review the sound it provided was indistinguishable from high end DACs.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: and thanks nanner...Ill give that a hash mark in my scorebook 

Exactly what I was trying to say :P, but I want to know more specifically what you mean by "get more out of them (the headphones.)" Like, if you could describe what the improvement would be that would be awesome.

Also, are onboard DACs that bad for you to say that a better DAC will help? Cause I have the same onboard chip as the one reviewed in the Tom's link I posted and according to their review the sound it provided was indistinguishable from high end DACs.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: and thanks nanner...Ill give that a hash mark in my scorebook

I used to have some T50RP and they can sound good with a weaker amp - I used to use them with portable devices and they sounded nice. But when I listened on my home set up (and that point a Mier Contante with V Dac) the bass was more controlled, separation sounded better to and there was generally less fuzzy. So they go from good to better, not bad to good.

The DAC thing is a contentious issue. I have found cheaper DACs under £100 to be indistinguishable from smart phones, pc audio. Then there is a noticable bump up. I find the V-DAC to be at that point (I still use mine in my living room set up).

From that point on, I find a lack of difference. I've had trouble discerning £1000 DACs from £150 DACs. So to an extent I agree with you - a £100 odac or Vdac is worth it, spending much more is probably not.

With all that said, the Ayre USB DAC is a notable exception. They use a unqiue digital filter which I found beautiful to listen to. If I could afford it I'd get one.

All we need is the cheese and the bread.

Or some elaboration.

all i can say is my pair of t50rps really need an amp, to me it is extremely quiet without my ODAC turned pretty far up.

all i can say is my pair of t50rps really need an amp, to me it is extremely quiet without my ODAC turned pretty far up.

ODAC isn't an amp, buddy.  ^_^

Are you using an O2?