ASRock "Lightling Gaming Ports" - Are they snake oil?

Go to solution Solved by SorryBella,
6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

yes and no...

i assume they're just USB ports on a dedicated controller, which actually makes a difference for some types of devices.. so they're not really snake oil...

but calling them "gaming" is ENTIRELY marketing bullcrap

I was looking at different AM5 motherboards when I came across the ASRock B650M PG RIPTIDE and I noticed it has these "Lightning Gaming Ports" so I naturally checked around and found a Tweaktown article that talked about it being custom tweaked USB chipset for high polling rate gaming mice and keyboards. Also found an article from Guru3d that said it connects the keyboard and mouse to separate controllers to protect their bandwidth. Extra article from Tech Powerup.

So I am wondering if this has any real effect or if it is just snake oil to charge you more money for nothing since everything I found was just the marketing info and no independent testing of their claim.

yes and no...

i assume they're just USB ports on a dedicated controller, which actually makes a difference for some types of devices.. so they're not really snake oil...

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

yes and no...

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

10 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

what is your point?

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

what is your point?

Sorry i didnt meant to quote you, i just did it impulsively.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.