Can’t Flash Bios Strix B450F Gaming

n8here

I got a Strix B450F Gaming (not Gaming II) from a friend to help my coworker build his first PC. He’s going to be getting a 5th Gen Ryzen CPU and my friend told me the BIOS probably isn’t up to date, so I put a spare Ryzen 5 1600 in to flash it. It’s currently on version 2801, Win 10 and most recent chipset drivers downloaded.

I tried to flash it via USB and on the SSD, but neither worked. I tried the newest bios version (5003) as well as the next one from my current one (2901) on both drives and it would either say “Selected file is not a proper BIOS!” or something along the lines of “File could not be read.” I tried several times with several drives. USB 2.0 and 3.0 formatted as FAT32, as well as adding a M.2 and downloading it on there but none worked.

I tried flashing it from the internet, but I still got the “Selected file is not a proper BIOS!”

Is there anything else I should try? Could I have a corrupted BIOS?

You are simply choosing the wrong motherboards bios. Make sure its the EXACT name, because they have such similar names. Its pretty easy to mess this up, and this generally is the case, otherwise generally it could just be a bad USB port potentially

1 hour ago, Shimejii said:

You are simply choosing the wrong motherboards bios. Make sure its the EXACT name, because they have such similar names. Its pretty easy to mess this up, and this generally is the case, otherwise generally it could just be a bad USB port potentially

I made sure and it’s the regular B450F Gaming, not the B450F Gaming II. Bios version 2801 is not listed for the B450F Gaming II The internet flash didn’t work either. 

39 minutes ago, n8here said:

I made sure and it’s the regular B450F Gaming, not the B450F Gaming II. Bios version 2801 is not listed for the B450F Gaming II The internet flash didn’t work either. 

make sure the filename has 7 letters before .(dot) and 3 after.. it's an old dos limit and some bios'es has an issue with too many letters in the bios file name

On 5/5/2023 at 12:34 PM, Shimejii said:

It's correct. The next BIOS, 2901, won't flash, nor will the newest BIOS. BIOS Download Page

image.png.7dee05037d12f71ab9625f4f817adeba.png

On 5/5/2023 at 3:11 PM, Robchil said:

make sure the filename has 7 letters before .(dot) and 3 after.. it's an old dos limit and some bios'es has an issue with too many letters in the bios file name

I have tried a few BIOS and ran the renamer when included and still no luck. Some of the older ones have a long name and no renamer file, is there any particular name it should have? Or do I just need any 7 letters, dot, and 3 more letters? None of them say they require a previous version installed, but I did try the next one anyway, and no luck.

Edit: I ran the renamer on the next consecutive BIOS, 2901, and that still gave me the same error.

• 2 weeks later...

I put a different GPU and SSD on it and it updated, even with the same flash drive I used before. I'm confused but relieved.