Reviewing my 2018 PC build in 2023 for upgrades. Also planning future NAS server build

Budget (including currency): Fortunately I have room to be flexible in this department.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

• Primarily I play the game RUST (heavily reliant on CPU power, rather than GPU) and some FPS games these days.

Other details 

• Parts list is included in the screenshot below.

Goal:

• Debating making a CPU upgrade, but not sure if it makes since to solely upgrade the CPU. My question is, will I ACTUALLY see a noticeable difference? The main game I play is RUST and that game happens to be much more demanding on a CPU than the GPU... my GPU still seems to be holding up for the games I play, so I'm not really in a rush to upgrade, especially in this market we're in. 
  • In addition I've been looking into upgrading my storage. Whether that be adding additional HDDs or increasing/adding another SSD alongside my existing 500GB one.
  • I'm also planning on building a NAS server in the future, so if there's any long-game play I could be preparing for now that would compliment that future NAS server build, I'm open to any insight. It will be my first server build so not sure what type drives I should be looking for. Linus mentioned he was working on or waiting for a new NAS technology to be released in the near future, that's what I'm interested in. The server would be servicing a tech-oriented family, nothing larger. The goal would be to drop my OneDrive service in exchange for a private server to manage my documents, media, etc.

Capture.JPG

You can problably sell that 8700k alongside that maximus and ram for 400$ or something and swap it out for a ryzen 7700 + b650(m) aorus elite ax/tomahawk wifi + 32gb 6000c32/36-40 ddr5, prefer c32 for futureproofing (8000+ capability) but if price diff is >40$ prefer c36-40 since those are still capable of ~7200

As for gpu if the gpu isnt a limiter then you can just leave it alone but if you want a somewhat sensible upgrade then you can sell that 1080 for 100-150$ and get a used 6700xt (~300$) or a used 6800 (~400$ but iirc theres some guy selling at 350$ cause of 1 broken fan but still decent temps), thats ebay pricing so you may be able to get some cheaper local deals though theyre abit more risky and you are alot more vulnerable to scams (dead gpus) so i wouldnt reccomend local deals for gpus unless you got some experience buying used, but everything other than gpus are fine since those arent as prone to scams as gpus

44 minutes ago, Koastie said:

I have room to be flexible in this department.

Rule #1 of asking for PC lists on the internet: never give a random stranger a blank check.

Tell me how rational you wanna pay for this upgrade.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

41 minutes ago, Koastie said:

Budget (including currency): Fortunately I have room to be flexible in this department.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

• Primarily I play the game RUST (heavily reliant on CPU power, rather than GPU) and some FPS games these days.

Other details 

• Parts list is included in the screenshot below.

Goal:

• Debating making a CPU upgrade, but not sure if it makes since to solely upgrade the CPU. My question is, will I ACTUALLY see a noticeable difference? The main game I play is RUST and that game happens to be much more demanding on a CPU than the GPU... my GPU still seems to be holding up for the games I play, so I'm not really in a rush to upgrade, especially in this market we're in. 
  • In addition I've been looking into upgrading my storage. Whether that be adding additional HDDs or increasing/adding another SSD alongside my existing 500GB one.
  • I'm also planning on building a NAS server in the future, so if there's any long-game play I could be preparing for now that would compliment that future NAS server build, I'm open to any insight. It will be my first server build so not sure what type drives I should be looking for. Linus mentioned he was working on or waiting for a new NAS technology to be released in the near future, that's what I'm interested in. The server would be servicing a tech-oriented family, nothing larger. The goal would be to drop my OneDrive service in exchange for a private server to manage my documents, media, etc.

Capture.JPG

I think this build would just the perfect sweet spot for you. Going from 6 cores to 14 cores is a huge leap and the i5 13600K has a 38% increase over the i7 8700K. I have been building PCs for 30 years and it's my actual job so if you have any questions please ask.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xFPfNc

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor  ($318.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Asus TUF GAMING LC 240 ARGB 67 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($122.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($260.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($71.91 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($129.76 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card  ($679.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H5 Flow RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 TT Premium 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2024.60

I have been building PCs for over 30 years so if you have any questions please ask. For Future Communication I use Discord for much Faster Response Times as I have it open 24/7. I am also available if you need help before, during, or after the Build Process on Discord through Text,Voice, or Video Chat. I can be with you while you build your new PC if you need me to be. Here is my Discord: Wizardsnapper#2772