Seagate exo 20TB

Hello, iam gonna buy some hdds for nas and i searched, price to capacity best drive is Seagate Exo 20tb for €306,46 per drive, isn't it? Any better deal ?

1 hour ago, Cemil2565 said:

Hello, iam gonna buy some hdds for nas and i searched, price to capacity best drive is Seagate Exo 20tb for €306,46 per drive, isn't it? Any better deal ?

The x20 here goes for about 300 usd.

Price per gigabyte you can't do much better than that if you need that much storage per drive. 

I am using 8 8tb drives currently myself. 

1 hour ago, Cemil2565 said:

What will the NAS be used for, and what will the hardware and software of the system be? Specifically what OS, what RAID, how many drives, and what is the total amount of space you are trying to get?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

5 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

What will the NAS be used for, and what will the hardware and software of the system be? Specifically what OS, what RAID, how many drives, and what is the total amount of space you are trying to get?

I want to backup all my files and plex movies also, it will be momenterly in my pc win11 and not in a nas, i have a i79700k cpu always on PC no gpu, good synology units are expensive but I will be doing it later after buying 3rd drive maybe, first iam gonna backup everything to 20tb and there will be 2nd 20tb for mirroring other exo, I want it redundant, no more believing to Google photos, and 4k hdr hevc is better rn with pc thx

3 hours ago, Cemil2565 said:

I want to backup all my files and plex movies also, it will be momenterly in my pc win11 and not in a nas, i have a i79700k cpu always on PC no gpu, good synology units are expensive but I will be doing it later after buying 3rd drive maybe, first iam gonna backup everything to 20tb and there will be 2nd 20tb for mirroring other exo, I want it redundant, no more believing to Google photos, and 4k hdr hevc is better rn with pc thx

If you start in windows, you won’t be able to later move that drive into a synology. And depending on the system, you won’t be able to add redundancy later on either…

I would probably do more research into what options you plan to use before buying hardware. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

16 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

If you start in windows, you won’t be able to later move that drive into a synology. And depending on the system, you won’t be able to add redundancy later on either…

I would probably do more research into what options you plan to use before buying hardware. 

I will just copy myself manuel, and use as a external hdd, its the best hdd right? In the pc case it will be good, no need to buy synology rn i can buy 2 more drives instead, I have like 6 sata ports i think thats enough for now, but i know what you mean, I dont need any app for auto.

3 hours ago, Cemil2565 said:

I will just copy myself manuel, and use as a external hdd, its the best hdd right? In the pc case it will be good, no need to buy synology rn i can buy 2 more drives instead, I have like 6 sata ports i think thats enough for now, but i know what you mean, I dont need any app for auto.

Not sure you understood what I meant. 

If you add a drive to a synology, it will wipe the drive. So down the line if you want to use this drive in the synology, you will need to first move all the data somewhere else, so you can then add this drive to the synology. I am simply saying, think through how you will go about this. 

1 hour ago, LIGISTX said:

Not sure you understood what I meant. 

If you add a drive to a synology, it will wipe the drive. So down the line if you want to use this drive in the synology, you will need to first move all the data somewhere else, so you can then add this drive to the synology. I am simply saying, think through how you will go about this. 

Yea i will be having 2 hdds 1 copy, insert one of them then import all data from pc hdd to 1 synology hdd then insert the other one and copy again when formatted it can work right

10 minutes ago, Cemil2565 said:

Yea i will be having 2 hdds 1 copy, insert one of them then import all data from pc hdd to 1 synology hdd then insert the other one and copy again when formatted it can work right

That should work. 

I am not as familiar with synology, so I would just try and confirm you can add drives to a RAID array after the array is created. If not, you may not be able to add the second drive. I am just not sure. 

On 5/2/2023 at 3:51 AM, Cemil2565 said:

I've heard that changes (or more appropriately, upgrades) on RAID type of a specific storage pool in Synology are feasible. Your thought can be accomplished by setting up a BASIC pool with just one drive, then "upgrading" the pool to RAID 1 after another drive is installed.

However, I would prefer no RAID, but rather periodical Rsync between 2 drives/pools for duplication on critical data, leaving movies alone (since they can be downloaded again once lost).