4770K Crashed with or without OC

hi all

i had my pc for years now, a month ago I decided to upgrade it somewhat so that it can stay relevant and ill be able to play games on it

my original specs were:

Asus H97 Plus

Intel Core i3 4160 @3.6Ghz

Cooler Master 240 AIO(don't remember the exact name)

2x4gb HyperX Fury @1600

Nvidia Gtx960 2Gb Gigabyte Windforce OC
Adata 512gb NVMe SSD

500W Cooler Master PSU

Windows 11 Pro 22H2

so what I've done is Upgrade To 4770K 

2 Additional 4gb sticks of ram bringing the total to 16Gb

And an Nvidia Geforce RTX2060Super

Since I've done these my PC started to crash randomly sometimes with BSOD with Critical Process Died And sometime it would just freeze

these freezes are random, sometimes I'm gaming and this happens, and sometimes on idle

the interesting thing is it would happen even in BIOS!

sometimes it won't freeze for days and some other times constantly crashes

I even ran Furmark and Prime95 at the same time for 24 hours and it didn't crash and temps were Cpu 75 max and Gpu 86 max(I know GPU is a bit hot but these gigabyte cards aren't very well cooled but I tried without it and no luck) but after an hour I was watching youtube and it crash

things I've done for troubleshooting:

i DDU the Gpu 

Removed the GPU running on iGPU no luck

removed Ram Sticks no luck

tried a 600W psu no luck

something that tipped me off was Crashing in Bios so I revert back to my old CPU and everything was fine for 7 days straight

so I Knew it was the CPU, installed it back and it started crashing again

the only thing that seems to help now is to disable Intel Smart step and lock CPU clocks to 3.3 with 1.25 Vcore!

at these clocks, it will become a bit more stable and I was able to do daily for 1 or 2 days

but 1.25 is a lot although my cooler is handling it and keeping the temps below 80 but still 

and 3.3 is not good enough, this CPU should boost to 3.9, and out of curiosity I got 4.5Ghz at 1.27Vcore out of it with Cinebecnh score of 5378 at 3.3 it will drop to around 4000

and last week I tried locking it to 4.0Ghz and would work for 12 hours but a crash was guaranteed 

I played Last of us on this pc,at 3.3Ghz game would run at around 40 with GPU usage around 60% or something @1080p but at 4.5 GHz I was able to get mostly stable 60 and Gpu usage was 100%

I know my CPU is probably faulty but wanted to check with you guys so that I be sure

I might buy a 4790k to replace it in upcoming month but for now I'm stuck with this so I apperitiate the help

and one last thing my monitor is 1080 and I'm okay with it what do you think is it ok to still run a 4th gen?

the only downside is my SSD,although its NVMe but its running at 10gb/s and not full speed but I'm ok with it

if I want to buy change platform I can only afford 7 or 8th gen at it would be triple the cost of a 4790k

thanks for the help

11 minutes ago, DanialJBs said:

Instead of your CPU, focus on this. Run prime95 largeFFTs at your CPU at stock clocks and see what happens. I am thinking you have some sort of memory controller issue.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

7 minutes ago, Levent said:

Instead of your CPU, focus on this. Run prime95 largeFFTs at your CPU at stock clocks and see what happens. I am thinking you have some sort of memory controller issue.

this was one of my theories as well since changing ram clocks did affect stability too,but I didn't know I can test this with prime95 

I'm gonna try that tonight 

and if it is the case, is there any solution? other than hardware change?

6 hours ago, Levent said:

I ran prime95 large FFTs for 2 hours now,it didn't crash and temps never exceeded 76,last time i checked it passed 512 but nothing out of the ordinary 

42 minutes ago, DanialJBs said:

Any Suggestions? 

since it has been crashing..  hold shift down and press reboot. into troubleshoot mode. 

go to troubleshoot and advanced..  open command prompt. 

run:   sfc /scannow 

wait for it to complete and reboot. see if it's more stabile now. 

On 5/1/2023 at 6:35 PM, Robchil said:

since it has been crashing..  hold shift down and press reboot. into troubleshoot mode. 

go to troubleshoot and advanced..  open command prompt. 

run:   sfc /scannow 

wait for it to complete and reboot. see if it's more stabile now. 

Thanks for the reply,i tried this,no effects whatsoever,but i appreciate the attention mate

So i discovered something new today,i was installing cyberpunk 2077,it did install without any problems,but i decided to update it using a third party updater, I don't have access to official ones because of where i live,this third party one (ela something something)will install some files and decompresses game files, changes things and then compress them again, however no matter what i do,it will crash my pc,if it itself doesn't do it,the file integrity check after will,i had to install 2 updates,first one while it was working it caused a freeze but now system wide and it recovered after 10-15 second, second one did it's job without a problem,but file integrity check crashed my pc with BSOD and the error was Kernel data inpage error,i had installed these updates before too,it did crash my pc back then too,any ideas how these things are connected and how to fix it?

Thanks 

Oh and something else that i forgot is whenever it BSODs it won't reboot on it's own,and the bsod screen isn't at full opacity, it's like 50% opacity and i can see whatever is behind it on my screen but nothing works 

Except bsod,sometimes it will just crash and reboot on its own

20 hours ago, Bjoolz said:

Please provide the dump files as shown in the BSOD post instructions in the pinned thread. 

Thats the thing,it won't create dump files,and it's not just happening on windows,these freezes,happen in bios too, i gusse whenever it freezes it doesn't have time to report anything back to create any reports,thats why it won't reboot on its own

Tonight i had to move some files and i was using my computer, nothing happend,but a few minutes after,i was on my phone,and no program was even open,in background sure, you're normal stuff,but in foreground nothing, even my AIO fans weren't spinning,and fan curve on those,is off below 45 degrees,but it blue screened,with a new error of INTERNAL POWER PROBLEM 

I checked,no dumps this time either, I'll check if there is a dump and I'll post it here,but i haven't seen any from BSOD,event viewer just says pc was shutdown unexpectedly 

2 hours ago, DanialJBs said:

Thats the thing,it won't create dump files,and it's not just happening on windows,these freezes,happen in bios too, i gusse whenever it freezes it doesn't have time to report anything back to create any reports,thats why it won't reboot on its own

It won't create dump files on freezes, just BSODs. 

I checked,no dumps this time either, I'll check if there is a dump and I'll post it here,but i haven't seen any from BSOD,event viewer just says pc was shutdown unexpectedly 

Check that you have set up the system to generate Small Memory Dumps. If you use drive encryption it can't generate dump files. If you have manually set a page file size and this is too small, it can't generate dump files (You need a size larger than your amount of RAM). If all three of these are verified and you still don't get dump files, I would have storage as a high suspect. 

On 5/7/2023 at 1:36 AM, Bjoolz said:

It won't create dump files on freezes, just BSODs. 

Check that you have set up the system to generate Small Memory Dumps. If you use drive encryption it can't generate dump files. If you have manually set a page file size and this is too small, it can't generate dump files (You need a size larger than your amount of RAM). If all three of these are verified and you still don't get dump files, I would have storage as a high suspect. 

here is a zip file that sensitive generated, but here is a thing, BSOD is supposed to complete its dump and then restart, but it will not in my case, even the percentage of it will always be at 0 and never moves, and no matter how long ill wait it won't reboot and I have to hard reset every time

I had my CPU at 4.1 and last week it was more stable, I had 48 hours without a crash and now it won't reach 10

I checked dump folders and only dumps there were for last month and I'm pretty sure they were because of unstable OC rather than this problem that I'm having

it'll be awesome if you can check these files and let me know if there is anything I can do

thanks

SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip

here is a zip file that sensitive generated, but here is a thing, BSOD is supposed to complete its dump and then restart, but it will not in my case, even the percentage of it will always be at 0 and never moves, and no matter how long ill wait it won't reboot and I have to hard reset every time

I had my CPU at 4.1 and last week it was more stable, I had 48 hours without a crash and now it won't reach 10

I checked dump folders and only dumps there were for last month and I'm pretty sure they were because of unstable OC rather than this problem that I'm having

it'll be awesome if you can check these files and let me know if there is anything I can do

thanks

SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip 3.75 MB · 0 downloads

All of these point to the CPU so yes, the overclock causing these is likely. 

14 hours ago, Bjoolz said:

All of these point to the CPU so yes, the overclock causing these is likely. 

How can i make it run more stable?

I even tried under clocking to 3.0ghz with 1.25 vcore!

It didn't make a difference 

On 4/29/2023 at 1:11 PM, DanialJBs said:

hi all

i had my pc for years now, a month ago I decided to upgrade it somewhat so that it can stay relevant and ill be able to play games on it

my original specs were:

Asus H97 Plus

Intel Core i3 4160 @3.6Ghz

Cooler Master 240 AIO(don't remember the exact name)

2x4gb HyperX Fury @1600

Nvidia Gtx960 2Gb Gigabyte Windforce OC
Adata 512gb NVMe SSD

500W Cooler Master PSU

Windows 11 Pro 22H2

so what I've done is Upgrade To 4770K 

And an Nvidia Geforce RTX2060Super

Since I've done these my PC started to crash randomly sometimes with BSOD with Critical Process Died And sometime it would just freeze

these freezes are random, sometimes I'm gaming and this happens, and sometimes on idle

the interesting thing is it would happen even in BIOS!

sometimes it won't freeze for days and some other times constantly crashes

I even ran Furmark and Prime95 at the same time for 24 hours and it didn't crash and temps were Cpu 75 max and Gpu 86 max(I know GPU is a bit hot but these gigabyte cards aren't very well cooled but I tried without it and no luck) but after an hour I was watching youtube and it crash

things I've done for troubleshooting:

i DDU the Gpu 

Removed the GPU running on iGPU no luck

removed Ram Sticks no luck

tried a 600W psu no luck

something that tipped me off was Crashing in Bios so I revert back to my old CPU and everything was fine for 7 days straight

so I Knew it was the CPU, installed it back and it started crashing again

the only thing that seems to help now is to disable Intel Smart step and lock CPU clocks to 3.3 with 1.25 Vcore!

at these clocks, it will become a bit more stable and I was able to do daily for 1 or 2 days

but 1.25 is a lot although my cooler is handling it and keeping the temps below 80 but still 

and 3.3 is not good enough, this CPU should boost to 3.9, and out of curiosity I got 4.5Ghz at 1.27Vcore out of it with Cinebecnh score of 5378 at 3.3 it will drop to around 4000

and last week I tried locking it to 4.0Ghz and would work for 12 hours but a crash was guaranteed 

I played Last of us on this pc,at 3.3Ghz game would run at around 40 with GPU usage around 60% or something @1080p but at 4.5 GHz I was able to get mostly stable 60 and Gpu usage was 100%

I know my CPU is probably faulty but wanted to check with you guys so that I be sure

I might buy a 4790k to replace it in upcoming month but for now I'm stuck with this so I apperitiate the help

and one last thing my monitor is 1080 and I'm okay with it what do you think is it ok to still run a 4th gen?

the only downside is my SSD,although its NVMe but its running at 10gb/s and not full speed but I'm ok with it

if I want to buy change platform I can only afford 7 or 8th gen at it would be triple the cost of a 4790k

thanks for the help

In your endeavours, did you upgrade your BIOS to the latest version? I had an issues with an Asus H87 over the weekend going to a 4790K where the BIOS was the issue.

The fix that work was to force "upgrade" BIOS via Windows to the same version as there are known issues upgrading the BIOS using EZ flash.

On 5/15/2023 at 8:19 AM, R4ng3rZA said:

In your endeavours, did you upgrade your BIOS to the latest version? I had an issues with an Asus H87 over the weekend going to a 4790K where the BIOS was the issue.

The fix that work was to force "upgrade" BIOS via Windows to the same version as there are known issues upgrading the BIOS using EZ flash.

I was on latest Bios from 2016

However i re-flashed it again using ez update now and wait to see to results 

Reflashing Bios didn't seem to change anything,i had one 24 hour run and after that it's mostly on 8 or 9 hours without a crash 

Just now i woke it up from sleep to check how long was it on,it said 9 hours and 34 minutes,i was gone for 5 minutes and it froze when i was back