NVME not showing up in boot list?

Hello. So, I just finished my first build. I have not installed my OS yet. I only have one drive: A 2TB Western Digital NVME. I have an ASUS X570 motherboard: In the BIOS, under "Storage Information" I can see that WD drive listed. I do not, however, see it listed under "boot priority." Is this what's supposed to happen? Isn't it also supposed to show up under that boot list? What should I do to fix it if it's wrong? 

3 minutes ago, Misanthropic_Turtle said:

Hello. So, I just finished my first build. I have not installed my OS yet. I only have one drive: A 2TB Western Digital NVME. I have an ASUS X570 motherboard: In the BIOS, under "Storage Information" I can see that WD drive listed. I do not, however, see it listed under "boot priority." Is this what's supposed to happen? Isn't it also supposed to show up under that boot list? What should I do to fix it if it's wrong? 

When you install the OS, it will setup a partition (invisible to you) that will contain the boot information and the BIOS/UEFI should pick up on that and offer it as a boot option. Try installing the OS first then setting the drive under boot priority afterwards.

I edit my messages often. Please refresh for the latest message.

I am not always on the same thread. Tag or Quote me to get my attention.

Remember to Mark the solution to help others in the future.

SFF

CPU: R7 3700x

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix x570-i

RAM: Corsair vengeance 64GB 3200MHz CL16

Cooler: Asetek 645LT

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 AERO

Case: Dan Case A4

Storage: 2TB Sabrent (PCI-E 3.0) - Windows

Storage: 1TB Crucial P5 Plus (PCIE 4.0) - Fedora

Storage: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO (SATA) - Steam

36 minutes ago, JenjerBread said:

When you install the OS, it will setup a partition (invisible to you) that will contain the boot information and the BIOS/UEFI should pick up on that and offer it as a boot option. Try installing the OS first then setting the drive under boot priority afterwards.

mando-way-this-is-the-way.gif

Install the OS on the drive first, then it'll show up as a boot drive.

PS. You don't have to install the OS on every SSD or HDD you install, just the one you want to use as the boot drive. The other ones you install, and when you get to the Windows desktop it'll usually ask how you want to use it. 🙂 

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

26 minutes ago, GeorgeMKane said:

Install the OS on the drive first, then it'll show up as a boot drive.

PS. You don't have to install the OS on every SSD or HDD you install, just the one you want to use as the boot drive. The other ones you install, and when you get to the Windows desktop it'll usually ask how you want to use it. 🙂 

Once you get into Windows and want to install a second SSD or HDD they are usually unformatted. You would need to open disk management and it will show a pop-up that a drive has not yet been initialized. Select yes to Initialize and follow the prompts to partition and format. Disk management will then assign the next drive letter that is not in use.