All games having random freezes constantly

Shmungusamongus

So for the past couple of months all games have been occasionally freezing for a few seconds every few minutes. The only consistent thing between the freezes is most of the times "System and controller app" shoots to the top of the CPU usage in task manager. Also I'm not sure if the cause is the same but Halo Infinite takes forever to load in assets in gameplay (like model LOD, parts of the environment, scope overlays, and even the crosshair.) I'm on windows 10 using a Dell Inspiron 7567 with an I5 7300HQ, a 1050ti, and 16gb of ram. It's pretty old at this point but I would like if it can hold on till I can get a framework 16. Any idea the cause of it? All I could find on Google is people saying "i have the same issue" and no answer

1 hour ago, Tomberry said:

could it be the storage? what storage do you have

I don't think it's storage. My games are split between a 1tb hdd and a Seagate 4tb external but they all do it regardless of the drive

Just now, Shmungusamongus said:

I don't think it's storage. My games are split between a 1tb hdd and a Seagate 4tb external but they all do it regardless of the drive

Is your windows on that hard drive per chance? 

The freezing is the system having to wait for the hard drive to catch-up with it. I would recommend getting an SSD. This should fix your issue.

I edit my messages often. Please refresh for the latest message.

I am not always on the same thread. Tag or Quote me to get my attention.

Remember to Mark the solution to help others in the future.

SFF

CPU: R7 3700x

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix x570-i

RAM: Corsair vengeance 64GB 3200MHz CL16

Cooler: Asetek 645LT

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 AERO

Case: Dan Case A4

Storage: 2TB Sabrent (PCI-E 3.0) - Windows

Storage: 1TB Crucial P5 Plus (PCIE 4.0) - Fedora

Storage: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO (SATA) - Steam

1 minute ago, JenjerBread said:

The freezing is the system having to wait for the hard drive to catch-up with it. I would recommend getting an SSD. This should fix your issue.

No, windows is on a separate SSD that's dedicated to windows as it's too small to fit anything else (256gb)

Just now, Shmungusamongus said:

No, windows is on a separate SSD that's dedicated to windows as it's too small to fit anything else (256gb)

With 256GB you should easily be able to fit halo infinite on it alongside windows. I would move halo onto the SSD and test that you're still getting the freezing. 

When was the last time you cleaned the laptop?

SFF

15 hours ago, JenjerBread said:

With 256GB you should easily be able to fit halo infinite on it alongside windows. I would move halo onto the SSD and test that you're still getting the freezing. 

When was the last time you cleaned the laptop?

Storage wise or dust wise? Either one it's been a while but I'm not sure it's overheating either cause it does it on games that don't push the hardware at all and will do it from a fresh start too 

21 hours ago, JenjerBread said:

Well now both Halo infinite and MCC crash, infinite crashes on startup so I moved it to my SSD but the same issue persists. Also tried verifying files and no change

UPDATE: MCC started then somehow ran out of VRAM on the main menu, and infinite sometimes works but still crashes constantly and gives me this error some of the times 

"The exception unknown software exception (0xe343000a) occurred in the application at location 0x00007FFC8E27 CB69."

Also when it gave me that error the first time it crashed the HDMI port on my laptop or something and I had to restart it to get it to even see my external monitor I use as my main screen most of the time

7 hours ago, Shmungusamongus said:

Storage wise or dust wise? Either one it's been a while but I'm not sure it's overheating either cause it does it on games that don't push the hardware at all and will do it from a fresh start too 

Dust wise. It might be worth having a look regardless to see if there's any build up around the heatsinks + fans. When you experience the freezes are you able to see the CPU + GPU clock speeds anywhere when it happens? would be helpful imo.

2 hours ago, Shmungusamongus said:

Well now both Halo infinite and MCC crash, infinite crashes on startup so I moved it to my SSD but the same issue persists. Also tried verifying files and no change

I'm assuming MCC is Master Chief Collection?

1. Are these the only 2 games that you've tried on the SSD?
  2. Did Halo Infinite crash on start-up before you started this thread/ started troubleshooting?
  3. Does it give any messages when it crashes?
  4. Are your GPU drivers up to date?
  5. Is Steam installed on your SSD or on your HDD?
  6. How much free space do you have on your SSD?
  7. Do you have any other applications open in the background when gaming?

You can try disable steam overlay and see if that helps with crashing on startup.

SFF

4 hours ago, Shmungusamongus said:

UPDATE: MCC started then somehow ran out of VRAM on the main menu, and infinite sometimes works but still crashes constantly and gives me this error some of the times 

"The exception unknown software exception (0xe343000a) occurred in the application at location 0x00007FFC8E27 CB69."

Also when it gave me that error the first time it crashed the HDMI port on my laptop or something and I had to restart it to get it to even see my external monitor I use as my main screen most of the time

Do you have the High Res DLC enabled? if yes, try disable it.

SFF

1 hour ago, JenjerBread said:

Dust wise. It might be worth having a look regardless to see if there's any build up around the heatsinks + fans. When you experience the freezes are you able to see the CPU + GPU clock speeds anywhere when it happens? would be helpful imo.

I'm assuming MCC is Master Chief Collection?

1. Are these the only 2 games that you've tried on the SSD?
  2. Did Halo Infinite crash on start-up before you started this thread/ started troubleshooting?
  3. Does it give any messages when it crashes?
  4. Are your GPU drivers up to date?
  5. Is Steam installed on your SSD or on your HDD?
  6. How much free space do you have on your SSD?
  7. Do you have any other applications open in the background when gaming?

You can try disable steam overlay and see if that helps with crashing on startup.

1: no PlanetSide 2 I've ran on the SSD, runs fine except for the stutter every game has been having

2:it started crashing on startup shortly after I made the thread, I've got it launching now but it'll randomly crash now sometimes taking everything else running like steam with it. One time it even took my whole PC with it by blue screening it. Gave the error "VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR" 

3: well there's the error above from the blue screen, Halo infinite sometimes says "unknown hard error" and one time master chief collection ran out of VRAM just entering the menu

4:yes, they're the latest ones

5: steam is on the SSD

6: 55gb of 256gb

7: I've tried both with and without and it doesn't seem to make a difference hardly at all except for infinite crashing making everything else crash like discord or chrome or operagx 

Also I tested Helldivers as I can hot swap it between my GPU and integrated graphics and the stutter goes away completely on the integrated graphics so I'm thinking there's something fucked with my GPU 

5 minutes ago, Shmungusamongus said:

1: no PlanetSide 2 I've ran on the SSD, runs fine except for the stutter every game has been having

2:it started crashing on startup shortly after I made the thread, I've got it launching now but it'll randomly crash now sometimes taking everything else running like steam with it. One time it even took my whole PC with it by blue screening it. Gave the error "VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR" 

3: well there's the error above from the blue screen, Halo infinite sometimes says "unknown hard error" and one time master chief collection ran out of VRAM just entering the menu

4:yes, they're the latest ones

5: steam is on the SSD

6: 55gb of 256gb

7: I've tried both with and without and it doesn't seem to make a difference hardly at all except for infinite crashing making everything else crash like discord or chrome or operagx 

Also I tested Helldivers as I can hot swap it between my GPU and integrated graphics and the stutter goes away completely on the integrated graphics so I'm thinking there's something fucked with my GPU 

that does sound like something is not right with your GPU, when was the last time you repasted it if you remember? since the i5 7300HQ indicates that the laptop has aged a fair bit. If it hasn't been repasted since you got it, I would recommend you that you do.

On helldivers, is the FPS capped at 60/144 or whatever your refresh rate is? if it isn't, can you try capping it and see if the stutter goes away?

Also can you use a tool to examine the BSOD dump file. Something like WhoCrashed will do it.

WhoCrashed > https://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed > Go to Download Home edition > Scroll down until you see it > Download

SFF

11 hours ago, JenjerBread said:

that does sound like something is not right with your GPU, when was the last time you repasted it if you remember? since the i5 7300HQ indicates that the laptop has aged a fair bit. If it hasn't been repasted since you got it, I would recommend you that you do.

On helldivers, is the FPS capped at 60/144 or whatever your refresh rate is? if it isn't, can you try capping it and see if the stutter goes away?

Also can you use a tool to examine the BSOD dump file. Something like WhoCrashed will do it.

WhoCrashed > https://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed > Go to Download Home edition > Scroll down until you see it > Download

Framerate has been capped at 60 on Helldivers, still stutters. It's not like a consistent stutter with any of them it's basically like occasionally my PC just gives up and the game will either tank the framerate or even freeze for a few seconds but like I said it doesn't seem to happen on the IGPU

Just hope I can get this thing to hold on till the framework 16 comes out

11 hours ago, Shmungusamongus said:

Framerate has been capped at 60 on Helldivers, still stutters. It's not like a consistent stutter with any of them it's basically like occasionally my PC just gives up and the game will either tank the framerate or even freeze for a few seconds but like I said it doesn't seem to happen on the IGPU

Just hope I can get this thing to hold on till the framework 16 comes out

Do you know long it has been happening for? did it start after an update?

I remember that you said you had an SSD, what SSD is it? A Samsung?

Do you use your laptop's display at the same time as the Monitor?

A long shot but might be worth reinstalling graphics drivers using DDU.

SFF

1 hour ago, JenjerBread said:

Do you know long it has been happening for? did it start after an update?

I remember that you said you had an SSD, what SSD is it? A Samsung?

Do you use your laptop's display at the same time as the Monitor?

A long shot but might be worth reinstalling graphics drivers using DDU.

The stutters started a month or so ago, but the crashing only started the night I made this thread. I just tried reinstalling the drivers but the same issue keeps happening. 

I looked through the crashes in event viewer and every single one mentions Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
I also noticed that dwm crashes at the same time every time infinite crashes, which is odd

1 hour ago, Shmungusamongus said:

The stutters started a month or so ago, but the crashing only started the night I made this thread. I just tried reinstalling the drivers but the same issue keeps happening. 

I looked through the crashes in event viewer and every single one mentions Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
I also noticed that dwm crashes at the same time every time infinite crashes, which is odd

I think you will need to verify your windows install doesn't have anything wrong with it. 

Run in CMD (Admin Mode):

• DISM /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth to scan windows
  • DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth to fix any errors
  • SFC /scannow to find and fix any corrupted windows files
  • CHKDSK /F C: to check the integrity of the filesystem

I would run it in order SFC > CHKDSKDISM SCAN > DISM RESTORE.

SFF

On 4/27/2023 at 7:33 AM, JenjerBread said:

I think you will need to verify your windows install doesn't have anything wrong with it. 

Run in CMD (Admin Mode):

• DISM /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth to scan windows
  • DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth to fix any errors
  • SFC /scannow to find and fix any corrupted windows files
  • CHKDSK /F C: to check the integrity of the filesystem

I would run it in order SFC > CHKDSKDISM SCAN > DISM RESTORE.

I managed to fix the crashing. I actually fixed it by fixing a different game. Warframe crashed saying it ran out of virtual memory so I messed with those settings and later tried infinite and bam it worked. Still has the stuttering problem but it took longer to start doing it than usual this time so that's another bonus. Still not sure what the stuttering is though