Built a new computer with AMD Ryzen 9 7950x and after installing windows, sometimes the installers keep going indefinitely, apps are randomly crashing

Antrophy

Hello,

I just built a computer with AMD Ryzen 9 7950x, MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk and the computer is just unresposnive sometimes.

• Trying to uninstall a headset device from Device Manager (right click -> uninstall driver) and it keeps going for 15 minutes already.
  • After fresh windows install I went to the MSI website to download drivers (chipset, lan, audio etc) and during that a lan installer just kept going indefinitely. Then I force closed it and tried to restart the computer and the restart would just go on undefinitely which means I had to hard shut off the computer.
  • Sometimes a MS Teams just stops responding and then crashes (and reopens back).

This wasn't happening with a previous computer and I can only guess what the reason could be.

I am suspicious of the RAM being kinda wonky (using 4x G.SKILL 32GB KIT DDR5 6000MHz CL36 Trident Z5 NEO RGB AMD EXPO, but tried just two sticks and just one, but still the same) because when I start the computer, the "DRAM" led is orange for a whole minute before the computer can get to bios. Then the DRAM led is no longer orange. I disabled XMP as I saw people having issues with that. Also, I tried underclocking the RAMs (to 4800) and even giving it more voltage as someone suggested (gave it 1.3V instead of 1.1). Apparently it's because the RAM keep retraining every start looking for stability. I tried to enable the "Context Restore" which is not recommended but the boot times are still long. Could that be the reason? RAMs?

Also, I noticed other people having similar issues with the motherboard so I order an ASRock B650 which may fix the issue.

I ran AIDA for 20 minutes and no crash (no temperature issues). Also ran memtest86 for 9 hours and let it finish - no issues as well.

Anybody has an idea what the next steps could be? Thanks

hi have u tried resetting cmos??? did the chipset driver install fully?

2 hours ago, Antrophy said:

Hello,

I just built a computer with AMD Ryzen 9 7950x, MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk and the computer is just unresposnive sometimes.

• Trying to uninstall a headset device from Device Manager (right click -> uninstall driver) and it keeps going for 15 minutes already.
  • After fresh windows install I went to the MSI website to download drivers (chipset, lan, audio etc) and during that a lan installer just kept going indefinitely. Then I force closed it and tried to restart the computer and the restart would just go on undefinitely which means I had to hard shut off the computer.
  • Sometimes a MS Teams just stops responding and then crashes (and reopens back).

This wasn't happening with a previous computer and I can only guess what the reason could be.

I am suspicious of the RAM being kinda wonky (using 4x G.SKILL 32GB KIT DDR5 6000MHz CL36 Trident Z5 NEO RGB AMD EXPO, but tried just two sticks and just one, but still the same) because when I start the computer, the "DRAM" led is orange for a whole minute before the computer can get to bios. Then the DRAM led is no longer orange. I disabled XMP as I saw people having issues with that. Also, I tried underclocking the RAMs (to 4800) and even giving it more voltage as someone suggested (gave it 1.3V instead of 1.1). Apparently it's because the RAM keep retraining every start looking for stability. I tried to enable the "Context Restore" which is not recommended but the boot times are still long. Could that be the reason? RAMs?

Also, I noticed other people having similar issues with the motherboard so I order an ASRock B650 which may fix the issue.

I ran AIDA for 20 minutes and no crash (no temperature issues). Also ran memtest86 for 9 hours and let it finish - no issues as well.

Anybody has an idea what the next steps could be? Thanks

Do you use the latest BIOS or the first one that came out?

That orange DRAM could be a BIOS issue rather than RAM one, you see motherboards fail more than RAM modules so in your place I would firstly update the BIOS and after that if it doesn't solve the issue I would go try to boot with one stick, try different channels etc. Maybe even a windows reinstall after that BIOS update just to see its really fast to do with NVME's

Maybe the CPU memory channels have issues did you try re-seating it?

But update the BIOS first, clear CMOS, swapping the MOBO when suspecting the RAM is kinda wild move. Especially when you didn't update the BIOS.

Ryzen 5 5600x | Gainward RTX 3060 Ti | 2x16GB 3200MHz | Samsung 980 1TB | 1 TB WD Blue | 120GB A400 Kingston Gigabyte M2 NVME 512GB  | BeQuite Straight Power11 80+ Gold 750W

2 hours ago, Tomberry said:

hi have u tried resetting cmos??? did the chipset driver install fully?

Yup, resetted cmos multiple times when I was investigating and underclocking RAMs. No change. I tried to reinstall the chipset driver again and restart, but didn't help either.

2 hours ago, Sima01 said:

Do you use the latest BIOS or the first one that came out?

Yeah, sorry didn't mention it, the first thing I did when I put the computer together was that I installed the latest drivers for the motherboard. Then I installed a fresh Windows 11 from Microsoft website and removed all files from the disks.

I tried to reset CMOS multiple times. Especially when I tried to underclock the rams so that it boots up faster when it didn't help. I bought two kits of two-stick ram from G.SKILL, so I tried to use one stick first and change channels.

Maybe the CPU memory channels have issues did you try re-seating it?

How would one accomplish this? Or do you mean just swapping RAMs from one slot to another and finding what works? If so, that's what I've tried. Even tried to use the other kit that arrived in case the rams were faulty. But they were still the same sticks, so perhaps a different manufacturer may work? I have rams coming on Sunday to test. On Monday a new motherboard will arrive (Asrock)

That orange DRAM could be a BIOS issue rather than RAM one, you see motherboards fail more than RAM modules so in your place I would firstly update the BIOS and after that if it doesn't solve the issue I would go try to boot with one stick, try different channels etc. Maybe even a windows reinstall after that BIOS update just to see its really fast to do with NVME's

I re-tested the RAM seating with one stick:

DIMM1 - no post

DIMM2 - Takes a minute to post, on consequent starts still takes a minute to post.

DIMM3 - no post

DIMM4 - Takes a minute to post, on consequent starts it sometimes posts immediately and sometimes not. Also, keyboard and mouse sometimes starts really late (like 10s after Windows starts), but that's also kind of random, sometimes the keyboard and mouse just worked.

52 minutes ago, Antrophy said:

I re-tested the RAM seating with one stick:

DIMM1 - no post

DIMM2 - Takes a minute to post, on consequent starts still takes a minute to post.

DIMM3 - no post

DIMM4 - Takes a minute to post, on consequent starts it sometimes posts immediately and sometimes not. Also, keyboard and mouse sometimes starts really late (like 10s after Windows starts), but that's also kind of random, sometimes the keyboard and mouse just worked.

looks like your cpu is faulty. it has a dead memory channel try and rma it

Thanks, since I've seen the issue mentioned for this motherboard in numerous places, I'll try the new rams & motherboard and if it's not going to work, I'll just rma the CPU.

1 hour ago, Antrophy said:

Thanks, since I've seen the issue mentioned for this motherboard in numerous places, I'll try the new rams & motherboard and if it's not going to work, I'll just rma the CPU.

Not just the drivers for the MOBO, you need to update the bios (

)

Memory channels are problem with the CPU, but I would expect them to not work at all if its the problem. 

Try the BIOS update, follow to video and text on the MSI website.

Ryzen 5 5600x | Gainward RTX 3060 Ti | 2x16GB 3200MHz | Samsung 980 1TB | 1 TB WD Blue | 120GB A400 Kingston Gigabyte M2 NVME 512GB  | BeQuite Straight Power11 80+ Gold 750W

Yes, that's exactly what I did. Downloaded "BIOS" from the MSI website for the MB, put that to USB, opened M-FLASH and installed it. 

Here is the link what I downloaded MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI (msi.com) 7D75v161(Beta version)

Edited by Antrophy
Added link.

So, I have fixed the issue. I stumbled upon a reddit post that said that they purchased a new MB battery and replaced the one that was there and then the orange lights and slow posts were gone.

I did the same and voila, the issues are now gone. So if someone has similar issue (and I know there are plenty), try buying a MB battery for 2.5€ and give it a try!

Nevermind! It was working fine for like 5 hours and then it started fucking up again. Here's what's happening and what changed:

The computer now boots up fast, so this issue is gone, applications no longer "freeze" in windows. But here are the issues that I am currently experiencing:

• The DIMM1 and DIMM3 slots are still dead.
  • When I reboot the computer, the windows (and or post) doesn't start again. I get "No Signal" on all monitors, the fans get really quiet and the computer is in vegetative state. I have to hard shutdown the computer (5 seconds hold) and then turn it back on.
  • When I go and shut down the computer from the Windows, it's doing the same. The computer will not actually shut down. Windows will display "Shutting down", then it disappears, monitors get "no signal" and the PC is still running, albeit everything is quiet (didn't shut down, the same thing like during restart).

I tried to re-plug the motherboard power connector but didn't help. I tried swapping G.SKILL rams for Kingston two sticks ram and didn't help either, so it's not a RAM issue. Like I said, I'll be getting a new mobo on monday so I will try with that and if it's not working again it has to be the CPU.

What do you guys think the reason is with the issues I listed? @Tomberry already mentioned dead CPU, would the "reboot not working & shutdown not really shutting down" be also caused by bad CPU or bad motherboard is also a possibility?

20 minutes ago, Antrophy said:

Nevermind! It was working fine for like 5 hours and then it started fucking up again. Here's what's happening and what changed:

The computer now boots up fast, so this issue is gone, applications no longer "freeze" in windows. But here are the issues that I am currently experiencing:

• The DIMM1 and DIMM3 slots are still dead.
  • When I reboot the computer, the windows (and or post) doesn't start again. I get "No Signal" on all monitors, the fans get really quiet and the computer is in vegetative state. I have to hard shutdown the computer (5 seconds hold) and then turn it back on.
  • When I go and shut down the computer from the Windows, it's doing the same. The computer will not actually shut down. Windows will display "Shutting down", then it disappears, monitors get "no signal" and the PC is still running, albeit everything is quiet (didn't shut down, the same thing like during restart).

I tried to re-plug the motherboard power connector but didn't help. I tried swapping G.SKILL rams for Kingston two sticks ram and didn't help either, so it's not a RAM issue. Like I said, I'll be getting a new mobo on monday so I will try with that and if it's not working again it has to be the CPU.

What do you guys think the reason is with the issues I listed? @Tomberry already mentioned dead CPU, would the "reboot not working & shutdown not really shutting down" be also caused by bad CPU or bad motherboard is also a possibility?

i just thought that it could be a dead memory channel. do you have a spare cpu you could try it with

It also could be a bad connection. CPU to motherboard. You might wanna reseat it. 

Ram faulty also a possibility. Is your ram on the supported list? 

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.

8 hours ago, SamClan said:

It also could be a bad connection. CPU to motherboard. You might wanna reseat it. 

Ram faulty also a possibility. Is your ram on the supported list? 

I've tested three ram kits (2x G.SKILL, 1x Kingston), so faulty ram is not an option unless I am unlucky as hell. I've also checked and both ram types should be supported by the motherboard (QVL)

Regarding the CPU to motherboard, I put the arrows together and just allowed it to "sit", so I don't think that there was any other way to put that, there was really no way to "move" the cpu once it was put in (it didn't move to any other direction, I tried) but I'll have to reseat it to the new motherboard that is coming on Monday anyway.

8 hours ago, Tomberry said:

i just thought that it could be a dead memory channel. do you have a spare cpu you could try it with

Unfortunately not AM5 that this mb is for. That will be the last option to change as I'll have to rma the cpu instead of just returning it. Just thought I'd gather some more diagnosis before moving further.