Silicon Lottery?

Nike0169
Go to solution Solved by Shimejii,

Looks to be a Better then average 1060 for sure, but nothing too surprising. Some of the cards were pretty heavily underclocked so you could gain a lot back. The Pascal was the last gen where there was a LOT of room on the table for Oc for core. Mem OC has been pretty much always been 1 ghz OC pretty stable.

I'm very new to Overclocking lets just put that put there lol. However, I have heard the term "Silicon Lottery" used a thousand times. I brought out my old GTX 1060 as I was going to give it to a friend for free who was just getting into PC gaming . When I installed it into his PC he was a bit underwhelmed with his performance in modern titles so I decided to overclock the old thing to see if it could give him some better performance. Over the course of the next couple of hours, I was shocked to see just how far I could push this card! Please let me know is this is a normal experience to have but I will include the overclocking stats below.

CORE VOLTAGE: 100% (Included just for completion sake)

CORE CLOCK: +240 MHZ

MEMORY CLOCK: + 1000 MHZ

POWER LIMIT: + 116%

TEMP LIMIT: + 92 Degrees

Once again the main aspect I am looking at is the core clocks and the memory clocks. Also this thing runs at around 75-80 degrees under sustained load in heaven benchmark for quite some time (mind you I live in Canada and its freezing up here in the winter)

Looks to be a Better then average 1060 for sure, but nothing too surprising. Some of the cards were pretty heavily underclocked so you could gain a lot back. The Pascal was the last gen where there was a LOT of room on the table for Oc for core. Mem OC has been pretty much always been 1 ghz OC pretty stable.

Thanks for the quick reply! I think ill push it a bit further and see how far it can go!