4070 vs 4080

umbles

I know no one can decide for me, but I'm curious what others would do in this scenario. I upgrade every few generations typically, I am coming from a 1080. I have enough budgeted for a 4080, but I know it's pretty widely accepted that it's a bad value (as I know all but the 4090 is). If you were in this scenario, would you get the 4080, or get the 4070 (which is half the cost) and save the rest of what you budgeted for the next generation? I would consider AMD, but I need the GPU for productivity work as well, and unfortunately AMD is still lacking in that department. 

Thank you in advance. 

4080 if you play on a high refresh rate monitor. 

7900 xtx is better/competes with the 4080

I try to be a human, but I cannot, because I have returned to monke.

Spoiler

Hehe boi

Spoiler

POV- when it can run crysis-

( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)

Also the 4080s 16gb of vram vs the 4070s 12gb..

1 minute ago, UnknownWalls said:

i would agree with this Nvidia is stupidly overpriced right now

I hit 700W on an i5 with a NHD15

Also I'm 14 so please just confirm anything I say with someone more experienced

1 minute ago, si1enze said:

Also the 4080s 16gb of vram vs the 4070s 12gb..

I know the 4080 is better, I was more asking the question if the 4070 for one generation before upgrading was a better idea than the 4080 for three generations. 

2 minutes ago, UnknownWalls said:

I wish I could, but I unfortunately need the GPU for work and not just gaming, and AMD doesn't do well in productivity. 

8 minutes ago, umbles said:

I would consider AMD, but I need the GPU for productivity work as well, and unfortunately AMD is still lacking in that department. 

@Bob__ @UnknownWalls

1 minute ago, umbles said:

I know the 4080 is better, I was more asking the question if the 4070 for one generation before upgrading was a better idea than the 4080 for three generations. 

From that perspective, I would go 4070.

1 minute ago, si1enze said:

From that perspective, I would go 4070.

Thank you

21 minutes ago, umbles said:

I wish I could, but I unfortunately need the GPU for work and not just gaming, and AMD doesn't do well in productivity. 

If you're getting the GPU for productivity reasons then I'll default to the best nvidia gpu you can buy since those workloads tend to scale well. What productivity applications will you be using it for?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

2 minutes ago, Kinda Bottlenecked said:

If you're getting the GPU for productivity reasons then I'll default to the best nvidia gpu you can buy since those workloads tend to scale well. What productivity applications will you be using it for?

Illustrator
Photoshop
Premiere pro
Blender
After effects
InDesign
Unreal Engine (thats for fun though)

4 minutes ago, ColdestDarkness said:

I agree. 4080 is to outrageous. Go 4070 and save for the next generation if you want.

Thank you

18 minutes ago, umbles said:

Illustrator
Photoshop
Premiere pro
Blender
After effects
InDesign
Unreal Engine (thats for fun though)

Solely this? You could try to find an RTX 2060 super or brand new RTX 3050 which would be enough for all of these apps unless if your scenario is VRAM intensive.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 minute ago, SorryClaire said:

Solely this? You could try to find an RTX 2060 super or brand new RTX 3050 which would be enough for all of these apps unless if your scenario is VRAM intensive.

I find my GTX 1080 (which is about equal to a 2060 super) boggs down a bit now, particularly in Premiere Pro, Blender and Illustrator when it has many vectors. But I do also game. 

image.thumb.png.9c684f4aff307e6727d6f3eebe9ae8b5.pngAlso if its just a one generation thing just OC your current card and hope that its good enough until 5000 series rolls around. And also the 2060 Super vs 1080

5 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

image.thumb.png.9c684f4aff307e6727d6f3eebe9ae8b5.pngAlso if its just a one generation thing just OC your current card and hope that its good enough until 5000 series rolls around. And also the 2060 Super vs 1080

I'd consider that pretty close(close enough to not want to spend money on a 2060S). But yeah, I'll try OC my current card and see if it improves it enough for now. Thank you for the input

2 minutes ago, umbles said:

I'd consider that pretty close(close enough to not want to spend money on a 2060S). But yeah, I'll try OC my current card and see if it improves it enough for now. Thank you for the input

No problem

I came from a 1070 last week and got a used 3070 and im super happy with it. I was thinking about the 4070 but ive found that it just depreciates so much in the first year that you can get a 3070 now for half price then bump up to 4070 in a couple years if you still need it. If money is at all a factor, i think getting a used one is great because you save so much.

8 minutes ago, Mayday793 said:

I came from a 1070 last week and got a used 3070 and im super happy with it. I was thinking about the 4070 but ive found that it just depreciates so much in the first year that you can get a 3070 now for half price then bump up to 4070 in a couple years if you still need it. If money is at all a factor, i think getting a used one is great because you save so much.

I hadn't considered the 3070, since it had the same amount of VRAM as my 1080. But looking it up, it does have the same number of CUDA cores as the 4070. That is worth considering. 

26 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

sighs

Never use specs comparison site for an intergenerational comparison, the spec sheets are moot point. Its true for CPU, its true for GPU.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

38 minutes ago, umbles said:

I hadn't considered the 3070, since it had the same amount of VRAM as my 1080. But looking it up, it does have the same number of CUDA cores as the 4070. That is worth considering. 

The issue is that the 3070 isn't that much cheaper. You lose 33% of the performance and VRAM for a 17% savings.

The 4070, as uninspiring as it is, is currently the best value Nvidia GPU on the market. Yes, it should have been $500 instead, and yes, it should have had 16GB on a 256-bit bus, but even without that, it still offers better value than any other Nvidia card.

If you have to go Nvidia, and you don't need top-of-the-line performance, the 4070 is going to be your best bet for now.

30 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

The issue is that the 3070 isn't that much cheaper. You lose 33% of the performance and VRAM for a 17% savings.

That's assuming buying new though. you'd be crazy to buy a 3070 new at this point in time. I bought my 3070 OC for 520$ CAD (390USD) . Thats so much cheaper.

Just now, Mayday793 said:

That's assuming buying new though. you'd be crazy to buy a 3070 new at this point in time. I bought my 3070 OC for 520$ CAD (390USD) . Thats so much cheaper.

That just matches the value. That's about 33% cheaper.

You save money, but you don't gain value.

Used Nvidia prices for the 3000 series are too high now that the 4070 is out. The 3070 should be selling for no more than $320 so that you get at least a 20% better value than new, and even that isn't great.