After adding RAM my CPU overclock no longer works

Wozza_UK

So a week ago I used the OCGenie button on my motherboard for the first time. It OCs my 4690K to 3.9GHz. This is the factory provided 'safe' way of overclocking. It's been stable all week, no problem.

Today I also decided to add more RAM taking me up to 16Gb, from 8Gb. My MOBO is a MSI Z87-G45 and the manual says it accepts "4x DDR3 memory slots supporting upto 32Gb". I was careful to buy the correct type - DDR3 1600 MHz to match what was already in there. It's recognised by the system - Task Manager/Performance reads 12.4 Gb available, 3.9 Gb cached, which I assume is normal.

However my system will no longer boot if I have the OCGenie button enabled in the bios. I just get a black screen with a message that says something like 'All previous setting have failed, Press F1 to enter setup' etc.

So I do that and these are the only BIOS settings that will work:

OC Genie button: Off

DRAM Reference Clock: Auto

DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1600MHz

XMP: Disabled

DRAM Timing Mode: Auto

There's obviously a load of other stuff in the BIOS that I have no idea about.

I've also tried clearing the CMOS by holding in the button on the back of the PC for ten seconds while the machine is powered off.

So can someone advise? Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Wozza_UK said:

So a week ago I used the OCGenie button on my motherboard for the first time. It OCs my 4690K to 3.9GHz. This is the factory provided 'safe' way of overclocking. It's been stable all week, no problem.

Today I also decided to add more RAM taking me up to 16Gb, from 8Gb. My MOBO is a MSI Z87-G45 and the manual says it accepts "4x DDR3 memory slots supporting upto 32Gb". I was careful to buy the correct type - DDR3 1600 MHz to match what was already in there. It's recognised by the system - Task Manager/Performance reads 12.4 Gb available, 3.9 Gb cached, which I assume is normal.

However my system will no longer boot if I have the OCGenie button enabled in the bios. I just get a black screen with a message that says something like 'All previous setting have failed, Press F1 to enter setup' etc.

So I do that and these are the only BIOS settings that will work:

OC Genie button: Off

DRAM Reference Clock: Auto

DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1600MHz

XMP: Disabled

DRAM Timing Mode: Auto

There's obviously a load of other stuff in the BIOS that I have no idea about.

I've also tried clearing the CMOS by holding in the button on the back of the PC for ten seconds while the machine is powered off.

So can someone advise? Thanks.

OCGenie, especially on older chips, isnt exactly stable or reliable... Try dialling in an OC yourself, more fun and you should be able to do a better job than what OC genie could do anyway...

If you really wanna cover all your bases, do a memory test, theres a couple found online.

also, do this:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/
download, run, and share the link of the results so we can have more information to help you. It tells us your exact specs and some basic diagnostic info

6 minutes ago, Burnedice25 said:

It tells us your exact specs and some basic diagnostic info

Or HWinfo64 and dont support shoddy journalism. If you just want specs and diagnostics youll just need basic sensor information like max temperature and average temperature and HWinfo provides that for 0$.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

I've just noticed something else. In CPU-Z, memory tab, the DRAM Frequency is saying 800MHz, and in HWInfo the Memory Clock is also saying 800MHz.

Is that wrong? My RAM is supposed to be 1600MHz.

Task Manager is still saying 1600MHz.

1 minute ago, Wozza_UK said:

DRAM Frequency is saying 800MHz, and in HWInfo the Memory Clock is also saying 800MHz.

Double Data Rate. DRAM frequency multiplied by 2. 800*2 = 1600.

45 minutes ago, Wozza_UK said:

Hi, I already have HWInfo installed. What info would be helpful to you?

If you havent known it already, check what the DRAM voltage and CPU voltage average is under load before it crashed to oblivion. Dont be alarmed at how high DDR3 is in voltage compared to DDR4 and DDR5, they do need higher voltage. Also, id definitely give running dead stock settings by Clearing CMOS a try. 1600MHz on high capacity count does freak out Haswells.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

21 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Double Data Rate. DRAM frequency multiplied by 2. 800*2 = 1600.

If you havent known it already, check what the DRAM voltage and CPU voltage average is under load before it crashed to oblivion. Dont be alarmed at how high DDR3 is in voltage compared to DDR4 and DDR5, they do need higher voltage. Also, id definitely give running dead stock settings by Clearing CMOS a try. 1600MHz on high capacity count does freak out Haswells.

1. Thanks for pointing that out!

2. I'm using HWinfo but can't see DRAM voltage or CPU voltage, only Total DRAM Power and CPU Package Power, both of which are in Watts.

3. I did clear the CMOS but it didn't do anything.

4. "1600MHz on high capacity count does freak out Haswells." What do you mean by this? Because I now have 4 sticks? Would two be better?

5. I've been googling and it seems there can be a problem using RAM from different kits, which mine are. Would buying two 8Gb sticks from the same manufacturer be a better option?

Thanks for your help!

I've just noticed something else in HWinfo. I wonder if anyone can advise.

Under Memory Timings the final column is blank. The other three show values for Tcas, Trcd etc etc but the fourth one is completely empty with nothing shown.

Is something wrong?

Thanks.

EDIT: don't worry, figured it out, duh.

Problem solved.

So instead of running 4 sticks of 4 Gb (from different manufacturers) I decided to buy 2 new sticks of 8 Gb (from the same manufacturer, Patriot PV316G160C9K Viper 3 Black Mamba).

I now have 8Gb RAM and the OCGenie button works again.

Not sure if it was just the 4 sticks of 4 Gb or whether the 2 new sticks I bought weren't up to the job - they were 'affordable' RAM sticks that worked as RAM but ... well, who knows.

😀