Overheating

dixib

Hi,

My computer has started crashing and most of the times I get a CPU temperature warning when it posts. In BIOS the temperature is 60-70 °C and in HWinfo64 I sometimes get 60-80 °C at the desktop with no activity. However, most af the time it's about 40 °C. When I start a game or some other load the temperature instantly rises to +70 °C, and the computer crashes after a few seconds.

I've bought the computer used, and have had it for at least 6 months without any such issues.

The CPU is a 5950X with an Enermax 360 mm AiO. My first thought was the pump not working, but both the BIOS and HWinfo show the pump running at about 3500 RPM, and I hear no sound of concern from it. The radiator is only warm at the inlet, but the rest is room temperature, which seems odd to me, but I have no experience with water cooling, so don't know how the temperature distribution is in the radiator. It's mounted in a O11D, which currently have the side and top panels removed.

Is my best bet to get a new cooling solution? Or does anybody here have an idea what might be the problem.

10 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

A good few of the Enermax coolers are prone to clogging badly.

New cooler and you should be fine.

That was also a thought I had based on the temperature in the radiator. I will order a new cooler and hope that will solve the problem.

Just now, dixib said:

That was also a thought I had based on the temperature in the radiator. I will order a new cooler and hope that will solve the problem.

Definitely sounds like a cooler issue.  A new cooler should do the trick 🙂  If the tubes coming out of the pump itself are not heating up then the water is not flowing correctly, most likely a clogg from the coolant.  MSI has had a lot of issues with their R series AIO's so don't get one of those.

29 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Definitely sounds like a cooler issue.  A new cooler should do the trick 🙂  If the tubes coming out of the pump itself are not heating up then the water is not flowing correctly, most likely a clogg from the coolant.  MSI has had a lot of issues with their R series AIO's so don't get one of those.

I'm not at the computer right now, so not able to check. As I recall at least one of the tubes is heating up, which also matches up with the temperature I'm observing in the radiator. I'm guessing it's clogged in the radiator close to the inlet. I'm hoping this sound plausible, as it would be nice if it is only an AiO swap.

I'm looking at a H150i ELITE CAPELLIX XT.

17 minutes ago, dixib said:

I'm not at the computer right now, so not able to check. As I recall at least one of the tubes is heating up, which also matches up with the temperature I'm observing in the radiator. I'm guessing it's clogged in the radiator close to the inlet. I'm hoping this sound plausible, as it would be nice if it is only an AiO swap.

I'm looking at a H150i ELITE CAPELLIX XT.

If you didn't do ANYTHING else with the PC and this issue started happening I am 95% sure its the cooler.
The H150i ELITE CAPELLIX XT is a good AIO 🙂