Is that thermal paste outdated ? Should I buy new one ?

Tigrou

I am going to update to a Zen 3 5700X. It will be cooled down by a Grand Macho RT.

I have some very old thermal paste that I have used in the past for several builds. Here is the specs : 

Red Cooler P-800

Thermal Conductivity : > 7.5W/m-k

Thermal Resistance : 0.06C-in²/W

5% Silver 10% Copper  (It looks like gold)

Is there any advantages buying new thermal paste ? (like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut)

That thermal paste is about 10 bucks so it should be a no brainer to order some. However I have already ordered new build (so I have probably to pay shipping again).

3 minutes ago, Tigrou said:

I am going to update to a Zen 3 5700X. It will be cooled down by a Grand Macho RT.

I have some very old thermal paste that I have used in the past for several builds. Here is the specs : 

Is there any advantages buying new thermal paste ? (like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut)

Th thermal paste is about 10 bucks so it should be a no brainer to order some. However I have already ordered new build (so I have probably to pay shipping again).

Thermal paste actually do expire and have a shelf life.  Put a small ammount on a piece of paper and check the viscosity, if it looks like it used to when you used it last then its good to go 🙂

IMO, main issue with "bad thermal paste", it being dryed out. Way more rigid, not that fluid/viscous. (typ0?) If you've stored it correctly in a tube or whatever, it's very likely still good enough to be used.

I don't know how this old thermal paste matches up against newer products. But as long as you're not going to do some heavy OC-ing, it most likely will be fine. Worst-case it's good enough for a placeholder. Just use it for now. If temps aren't what you would expect, you could always buy new thermal paste.

Le Grand Macho RT is a good cooler, I have one 🙂

If you squeeze some out of the tube and oil comes out, and then some mush comes out, that means the TIM has separated, and should be replaced.

But if it still look's good, then its good 🙂

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

7 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Le Grand Macho RT is a good cooler, I have one 🙂

If you squeeze some out of the tube and oil comes out, and then some mush comes out, that means the TIM has separated, and should be replaced.

Thanks for the tip.

Macho : yes it's a good cooler but rarely seen. People prefer to buy dual towers or AIOs (probably because it's more sexy than a big beefy heatsink). I hesitated with Corsair H150i but went for that air cooler because of the price, noise and longevity. I don't care about the look since I have a close case without window. I already have a Macho HR 02 (very similar to RT) but it's not compatible with AM4 platform.

Just now, Tigrou said:

Thanks for the tip.

Macho : yes it's a good cooler but rarely seen. People prefer to buy dual towers or AIOs (probably because it's more sexy than a big beefy heatsink). I hesitated with Corsair H150i but went for that air cooler because of the price, noise and longevity. I don't care about the look since I have a close case without window. I already have a Macho HR 02 (very similar to RT) but it's not compatible with AM4 platform.

I was able to run my old 3600XT at a static 4400MHz with not fan installed on LGMRT. But when I moved to Zen 3 I found it had a bit of a hard time keeping up. I have not tried a 5700X, it should be ok.. The cooler I am running right now is about half the size as LGMRT but has 7x 6mm pipes just like it.. works great. Their new coolers are excellent, just like their old ones.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

It looks like the Grand Macho RT came with a small tube of Chill Factor 3 (I still not received mine but I read it some review). Specs :

Thermal Conductivity : 3.5W / m-K
Thermal Resistance : 0.012°C / W

It seems worse than what I already have, I'll pass.

By the way, buying very specific thermal paste to achieve much better cooling performance is questionable (unless specific case like extreme overclocking). Look at this chart. Between top notch (overpriced) liquid metal and the worst one there is a difference of about 5°C :

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/x55gSEMYGi2YaPGFWHKGs6-970-80.png.webp