Cpu spikes to 100% randomly for a second.

aren332

I have a RTX 2060 and a i7 4790k. I have not overclocked at all. Whenever I play csgo valorant or any light game my cpu usage sometimes spikes up to 100 for like a second and goes away. It happens rarely but is very distracting. This causes severe fps drops which are very distracting. any fix? Also my fps is capped to 150 in both csgo and val, i have fast sync enabled and my monitors refresh rate is 75. I have 3 programs open in the background: msi afterburner, vlc media player and discord. All 3 don't fix this issue as i closed every single one and i still had the issue. Also my temps are perfectly fine, both cpu and gpu rarely reach 80 degrees and never go higher than 85. This cpu usage issue never occurs while doing something intense that takes up a lot of gpu and cpu usage like playing destniy 2. It also occurs when im just browsing. I dont think this is a gpu bottleneck issue as this issue also occured on my old gtx 645 and not a cpu issue as this occured on my i7 4790 (i have 4790k now). Also csgo and valorant are both installed on my ssd, and this issue occured on my old intel 320 series ssd so it is not a storage issue

My specs are

dell optiplex 9020 motherboard

rtx 2060

i7 4790k

16gb ddr3 ram

500gb ssd samsung sata

2tb hdd western digital

600w evga psu

thanks

Is the RAM in dual channel?

The motherboard seems concerning, although that might play into the high cpu spikes. When did you start getting those spikes?

On 4/10/2023 at 2:01 AM, reflext said:

Is the RAM in dual channel?

The motherboard seems concerning, although that might play into the high cpu spikes. When did you start getting those spikes?

The ram is in dual channel 4x4gb, i dont remember when i started to get the spikes but It did occur when i had a i7 4790 with a gtx 645 and now i have a 4790k with a 2060 and it still happens

16 minutes ago, aren332 said:

The ram is in dual channel 4x4gb, i dont remember when i started to get the spikes but It did occur when i had a i7 4790 with a gtx 645 and now i have a 4790k with a 2060 and it still happens

I believe that it's your RAM bottlenecking your computer. Since it's on DDR3, and you're using a 4th gen cpu, that could be the reason. Have you overclocked the CPU and RAM for a little more performance?

11 hours ago, reflext said:

I believe that it's your RAM bottlenecking your computer. Since it's on DDR3, and you're using a 4th gen cpu, that could be the reason. Have you overclocked the CPU and RAM for a little more performance?

how is this bottlenecking my pc? its ddr3 1600mhz. Ive heard of other dell optiplexes with ddr3 1600mhz 4x4gb ram with an i7 4790 and this issue didnt occur

On 4/15/2023 at 6:05 AM, aren332 said:

how is this bottlenecking my pc? its ddr3 1600mhz. Ive heard of other dell optiplexes with ddr3 1600mhz 4x4gb ram with an i7 4790 and this issue didnt occur

It's the only reason I could think of, because your other parts of the PC aren't "that" bad. The i7 is showing its age

On 4/15/2023 at 8:05 AM, aren332 said:

Reflext has a point, it could be the RAM. Running 16Gb in 4x4 won’t get you as much performance as running 16Gb in 2x8. Those other optiplexs could have different configurations, better latency, or just better silicon.

We’re not guaranteeing that the RAM is your problem, but it’s the most likely culprit.