Added fans to ITX build… now my PC flips a breaker

Go to solution Solved by Kid.Lazer,

What else in your house runs on that particular circuit, and what size breaker is it? (I'm going to assume North American standard 15amps) Your computer could probably only draw about 7 amps on a 120v circuit at maximum load including a transient spike, which you are surely not doing. And those 2 fans would only add about .03 amps to your load, which is largely meaningless. Any chance you have a space heater or something on the circuit as well?

THE PROBLEM:
I just built an ITX PC. I needed to add fans to help with GPU heat, so I ordered a 3D-printed attachment for my PC to add more fans. I attached 2 120mm Phanteks fans to the case addition and chained them together so that they used only 1 MOBO fan header. Once installed, I turned on my PC and launched Fan Control to set the new fans to rev up when the GPU got too hot. To check the temperature while gaming, I launched God of War to see how it did. Roughly 1 minute into the game, my PC flipped the breaker. Nothing else was drawing a tremendous amount of power on that breaker. What do I need to do? My PSU is 750-watt.

Attached will be a picture of the fans.

OPERATING SYSTEM:
Windows 10 64 bit

PC SPECS:

MOBO: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ( BIOS Version FBb)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: NZXT 140mm AIO liquid cooling

Memory: Kingston FURY Renegade 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory

Storage: 2 Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drives

GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB GDDR6X Graphics Card

Fans: Phanteks (PH-F120T30_BG_3P) T30-120 Fan Triple-Pack

PSU: SFX 750W Gold PSU

Case: NZXT H1 Version 2 (comes with built in CPU Cooler & PSU)

Case addon: NZXT H1 V2 Front or Rear Panel Spacer with Fan Mounts by DisherDesign

IMG_4505.jpg

Was it ok before adding the fans? I cannot believe that 2 additional fans will cause and overload on your curcuit?

2 minutes ago, aledsav1 said:

Was it ok before adding the fans? I cannot believe that 2 additional fans will cause and overload on your curcuit?

The PC ran fine before except for the GPU heat!

have you just unplugged the fans from the header and retested to see if the breaker still does it..again I would be shocked that 2 additional fans overload it

2 minutes ago, aledsav1 said:

have you just unplugged the fans from the header and retested to see if the breaker still does it..again I would be shocked that 2 additional fans overload it

I have not yet tried that. I will shortly!

What else in your house runs on that particular circuit, and what size breaker is it? (I'm going to assume North American standard 15amps) Your computer could probably only draw about 7 amps on a 120v circuit at maximum load including a transient spike, which you are surely not doing. And those 2 fans would only add about .03 amps to your load, which is largely meaningless. Any chance you have a space heater or something on the circuit as well?

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

8 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

MY PC is situated in a closet in my living room. The only stuff that runs off that circuit is the PC, the TV, TV accessories, and the lights and lamps in the room. 

I tried a different game and got the same result. Currently have the PC on a different breaker and trying everything over here to see if it truly is a breaker issue. So far all has been good on the new breaker, but I am running the PC with a different monitor (1080p 60 hz rather than my 34 in curved 1440p 120 hz monitor). Would that be an issue? Another thing I found was my memory in my BIOS was not on XMP. Could that also be a cause?