Hey guys!

My CPU temps have always been pretty high which is something I've only recently discovered to be a problem. Under load my CPU reaches 95 C and thermal throttles. I've reapplied thermal paste, fiddled with my power plan adjusted for ryzen CPUs and normal balanced and my CPU still reaches 95 C during load. I suspect it's due to my case and my fans. My front fan is intake at 140mm, radiator fan (exhaust) is 120mm and I've got a rear exhaust at 120mm. My case is the pretty old N500. My GPU is undervolted and the temps are fine. I would hope that I don't have to change the case and that buying and mounting x3 120mm Arctic P12 Silents (result would be (x2) 120mm Intake front, (x1) 120mm back exhaust, (x1) 140 radiator exhaust). Pretty sure my Motherboard doesn't control more than 1-2 fans so I would have to buy a splitterPC is clean from dust and the Windows is relatively freshly reinstalled. 

PC Case: N500 KKN2

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT (Not overclocked)

CPU Cooler: AeroCool Core plus (There are definitely better, but shouldn't get to 95 C under load?)

GPU: MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 2X OC

Motherboard (Version): Prime B350M-K (5602)

RAM: DDR4 2x8 Corsair (2666)

9 minutes ago, DogManPC said:

AeroCool Core plus

Radiator seems puny and inferior design.

I mean even $20€ Aliexpress Snowman cooler would probably cool ~10-15C better. Don't recommend that either though.

I edit my posts more often than not

I'd definitely say that the AeroCool Core plus is the weakpoint here.. Its an average cooler at best and the Ryzen 7 3800XT is a hot 8 core CPU. When you say under load, are we talking normal gaming or 100% loads?

3 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

I'd definitely say that the AeroCool Core plus is the weakpoint here.. Its an average cooler at best and the Ryzen 7 3800XT is a hot 8 core CPU. When you say under load, are we talking normal gaming or 100% loads?

When running Cinebench the CPU climbs up to 95 C within the span of 10 seconds. It varies during gaming, but it does come close to/reaches 95, even when the CPU load isn't that close to 100%. I'd say it consistently reaches 85 C even when casually gaming. 

21 minutes ago, DogManPC said:

When running Cinebench the CPU climbs up to 95 C within the span of 10 seconds. It varies during gaming, but it does come close to/reaches 95, even when the CPU load isn't that close to 100%. I'd say it consistently reaches 85 C even when casually gaming. 

Cinebench is a stressing the CPU to its absolute max and seeing throttle with the AeroCool Core Plus on a 3800XT does not surprise me one bit. That cooler is not designed for such loads on such a warm chip. There is no way that cooler is enough for the 3800XT at heavy loads.       If you want to see better temps you need to change the CPU cooler do something more adequate for your CPU, putting another 120mm front fan is not a bad idea either.

There is no way in hell that you are gonna cool that R7 3800XT with that cooler.

R9 5900X, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240, Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2, 2x16GB Kingston FuryX 3800MHZ CL18 Hynix DJR "Tuned" , Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC, Windows 11

26 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Cinebench is a stressing the CPU to its absolute max and seeing throttle with the AeroCool Core Plus on a 3800XT does not surprise me one bit. That cooler is not designed for such loads on such a warm chip. There is no way that cooler is enough for the 3800XT at heavy loads.       If you want to see better temps you need to change the CPU cooler do something more adequate for your CPU, putting another 120mm front fan is not a bad idea either.

I'm looking at a few AIO coolers. Do you think the Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L V2 would be a decent choice? I don't want to spend too much on a cooler and this one seems pretty decent. 

8 minutes ago, DogManPC said:

I'm looking at a few AIO coolers. Do you think the Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L V2 would be a decent choice? I don't want to spend too much on a cooler and this one seems pretty decent. 

Any reason why you want an AIO over a higher end air cooler?   AIO's are nice but they also have a higher risk of failure ( They WILL fail at one point ).   I had Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L and I was not happy with it at all, the fans were loud and started rattling after a year and overall felt like a cheapish product.  I got it for free with a CPU purchase so.

12 minutes ago, DogManPC said:

I don't want to spend too much on a cooler and this one seems pretty decent. 

Here's one that is much cheaper but will be about the same temps as a 240mm aio.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-Peerless-Assassin-Aluminium-Technology/dp/B09SD44SL1/ref=sr_1_8?crid=3HUXN9R99ZZHU&keywords=thermalright&qid=1680801701&sprefix=thermalrigh%2Caps%2C491&sr=8-8

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

12 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Would this be around the same size or smaller compared to the AeroCool I have? GPU does sit pretty close to the cooler in my case.  

16 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Any reason why you want an AIO over a higher end air cooler?   AIO's are nice but they also have a higher risk of failure ( They WILL fail at one point ).   I had Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L and I was not happy with it at all, the fans were loud and started rattling after a year and overall felt like a cheapish product.  I got it for free with a CPU purchase so.

My GPU sits pretty close to my cooler and the AIO looks to be a lot smaller than the high end air coolers. I'm worried I might buy an air cooler that is way too big to fit. 

1 hour ago, DogManPC said:

PC Case: N500 KKN2

Seems to be a standard ATX case. Any air-cooler should fit very precisely. Only thing to watch out is cooler height usually - 162mm in this case. And of course if it fits the right socket, but that's obvious.

I edit my posts more often than not

3 minutes ago, DogManPC said:

My GPU sits pretty close to my cooler and the AIO looks to be a lot smaller than the high end air coolers. I'm worried I might buy an air cooler that is way too big to fit. 

Thats alright. Its not sitting closer to the CPU that on other motherboards.  Here is a video of my system with an NH-D15 ( Video was made for something else ).  The peerless assassin will fit in your system without problem.