Need a second opinion on this build

Go to solution Solved by SorryBella,
48 minutes ago, MrStubb said:

I read the 4060 is coming out

Yeah but we dont even know the MSRP let alone how much VRAM itll come with. If thats your intention, wait for figures to come out or even for the competition in the form of 7600 XT and 7700XT to come out, and then remake this thread. Same with sales, wait for it to happen and then remake the thread. Price fluctuates daily, whats a bargain today could be EoL tommorrow.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13400F 2.5 GHz 10-Core Processor  ($209.86 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin X Refined SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  ($21.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock B660 Steel Legend ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($35.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI MECH 2X OC Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Video Card  ($369.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Focus 2 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $1047.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-04-03 21:46 EDT-0400

If he doesnt care about the upgradability of the system, they can switch to a B550M Riptide motherboard and go for 5600X instead. But AM4 is technically an EoL platform that really only has 5800X3D to go off to.

Budget (including currency): ~$1000 or $1100 max USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Call Of Duty MW2 (2022), Valorant, Different VR titles

Other details: 1440p 144hz monitor and secondary 1080p monitor and all peripherals already on hand, I'm waiting for parts to go on sale and just in general waiting for them to give me the money to order parts for them.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rKyYk9

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/w8BpC6

This build is meant for a close friend who really wants to play PC games, they asked me to set up a build for them. I'm not fluent in the newer parts in the market but came up with this build for the budget. I have here listed an Intel build (first link) and an AMD counterpart (second link), I want to know if my builds are made optimally, if I'm spending too much on something I shouldn't, if I should focus more of the budget on something else, etc. For the Ryzen build I do have an extra AMD graphics card from 2016 I can use to boot the Bios but I was unsure if it would cause problems when switching over to the Nvidia card, other than that I am confident in being able to build the PC.

COD is your hardest game to run by far (from what you've listed, VR has very few settings and they don't have high details...)

either of those is completely fine you won't really hit 144Hz with cod but if the display has VRR it's cool.

*try to get 3600 ram for Ryzen.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

my more detailed analysis would be to point out you can use a cheaper case to save a buck. (obviously) but a nice looking thing makes people happy.

for intel there isn't much you can change in general.

for AMD ram speed make a bigger difference than you'd think, so 3600 for same price or 10~20$ more is worth it.
and you can save money by choosing an older board like the AsRock B450M pro 4 (or the wifi version if you want wifi)

it doesn't have anything missing that the Asus board you picked has. neither of them have USB-C front panel header.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

38 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

COD is your hardest game to run by far (from what you've listed, VR has very few settings and they don't have high details...)

either of those is completely fine you won't really hit 144Hz with cod but if the display has VRR it's cool.

*try to get 3600 ram for Ryzen.

Both your replies are helpful, I guess I should have also mentioned I have the case already too it was just there to show that it was technically part of the budget, they are interested in playing other triple A games that come out or that catch their eye like Stray or TLOU's remaster. I'm not entirely sure if I want to choose either way, my current pc is a Ryzen 7 5700g (I got it for a better price than a regular one), RTX 3060Ti, 32gb of 3200 ram, MSI B550 Tomahawk. I don't know how much these builds really compare to mine, I got my setup for around this price range because of good deals and timing.

I also know the 4060 is coming out soon, does anyone think it would be a better idea to buy that? I guess it would be hard to say I am just worried about compatibility or bottlenecking

2 minutes ago, MrStubb said:

I also know the 4060 is coming out soon, does anyone think it would be a better idea to buy that? I guess it would be hard to say I am just worried about compatibility or bottlenecking

the 4060 isn't that close in the timeline... I'm expecting availability in october. it's just in the rumor mill right now.

TLOU runs like doodoo right now. they did some really weird things in the way it loads assets and uses VRAM.

these builds are pretty close in performance to yours, just apply the difference in GPU performance about 25%?

but yeah i'd swap the motherboard and save the money because it doesn't make a difference to FPS and it doesn't have any extras at all for that money.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

20 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

the 4060 isn't that close in the timeline... I'm expecting availability in october. it's just in the rumor mill right now.

TLOU runs like doodoo right now. they did some really weird things in the way it loads assets and uses VRAM.

these builds are pretty close in performance to yours, just apply the difference in GPU performance about 25%?

but yeah i'd swap the motherboard and save the money because it doesn't make a difference to FPS and it doesn't have any extras at all for that money.

I read the 4060 is coming out at the end of this month but I probably won't have the 3060 by the end of this month regardless unless I can find a good deal. I did hear about the performance issues on TLOU but it's still on our radars for if they ever post a patch to help performance. As for the motherboard I do want to make it possible to upgrade further down the line if necessary. I'll look into other motherboards but other than that I appreciate the help

48 minutes ago, MrStubb said:

I read the 4060 is coming out

Yeah but we dont even know the MSRP let alone how much VRAM itll come with. If thats your intention, wait for figures to come out or even for the competition in the form of 7600 XT and 7700XT to come out, and then remake this thread. Same with sales, wait for it to happen and then remake the thread. Price fluctuates daily, whats a bargain today could be EoL tommorrow.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin X Refined SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  ($21.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock B660 Steel Legend ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($35.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI MECH 2X OC Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Video Card  ($369.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Best Buy) 

If he doesnt care about the upgradability of the system, they can switch to a B550M Riptide motherboard and go for 5600X instead. But AM4 is technically an EoL platform that really only has 5800X3D to go off to.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

57 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

PCPartPicker Part List

I do like this parts list, personally I prefer Nvidia but I guess that it's just that a personal preference, as for the CPU I noticed it's a 10 core processor and honestly they probably wouldn't need something like that if there main focus is gaming, they aren't really interested in like productivity type of use cases or anything unless you have a reason why you chose this CPU, I mean it could be something like the fact that it's new. I didn't think it would be necessary to have that type of power but then again I doubt they'll need to upgrade it for a long time and if they ever do pick up something that would fully utilize all those cores it's nice to already have it. Also about the graphics card, yeah I agree we don't really know anything about the GPU but I mean if I don't even have a card by then it wouldn't hurt to look at what it offers, I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

4 minutes ago, MrStubb said:

I noticed it's a 10 core processor

Its not true 10 core. Refer to the initial announcement breakdown done by LTT on the 1st gen LGA1700 platform CPU, Alder Lake. If you open up ARK (Intel specification database and driver repository), youll see that its a 6 cores and 12 threads P-core CPU, with 4 E-core CPU.

10 minutes ago, MrStubb said:

I prefer Nvidia but I guess that it's just that a personal preference

I mean me too if not for the fact that nvidia street price on 3060Ti and 3070 is just illogical on new market. If you want equivalence here, get them used. And again, we only just know 4070 pricing (600$) let alone 4060.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

4 hours ago, MrStubb said:

I read the 4060 is coming out at the end of this month but I probably won't have the 3060 by the end of this month regardless unless I can find a good deal. I did hear about the performance issues on TLOU but it's still on our radars for if they ever post a patch to help performance. As for the motherboard I do want to make it possible to upgrade further down the line if necessary. I'll look into other motherboards but other than that I appreciate the help

it's hasn't even been announced. the 4070 hasn't even been officially announced... people are thinking it's gonna come out any moment now because nvidia did make the product already. packaging and everything is done. but they're not releasing it because they make more money holding it back and waiting for as many people as possible to crack and buy a more expensive card.

it didn't used to be this way.... but this is 2023.

I could be wrong... I'm guessing just as much as the rumors are. but I don't think we'll see it before the end of summer.

they will for sure patch it and fix some of it. (because some of the stuff is just ridiculous dumb decisions... somehow they think windows is gonna use multiple gigs of vram and reserve space for it explicitely. windows uses like 400MB in worst cases... I don't know which moron thought windows was that level of dumpster fire compared to console OS management but he's can't be a real programmer.)

there isn't any difference in upgradability in any AM4 B or X board. it's a bit of an oversimplification but for example I'm running a 5700X in a B350 cheapo board perfectly... it's my main machine. I upgraded from a 1700 to a 3600 to a 5700X (for different reasons each time) on the same board. some people thought these motherboards wouldn't be able to manage higher wattage parts (more than the 65W ones) but my 1700 was OC using 170W on full load the whole time I had it (I do 3D renderings so it spent a significant amount of time at that full load. think, cinebench running overnight). I know what I'm doing so I don't go around recommending a board quite this cheap to everyone but it is absolutely not a problem. I could even use the 5800X3D or the 5950X if I wanted to spend the money on one.

all the CPUs for the platform are already released and in the wild nothing new will come for this motherboard. So we know all the variables already.
PCIe gen 4 work on the GPU slot. I don't have a gen 4 m.2 drive so I can't test if that does work too but it's likely. to work on the one connector connected directly to CPU lanes. but even these are things that people argue about for the future because they think they'll lose performance over it but it has never materialized. you can still run a 3070 at gen 2 link speed and not lose any performance. so in 3 more years with gen 5 cards it still wouldn't matter that you're locked to gen 3. and m.2 performance for resizeableBAR and general windows experience is so much more about latency than total raw speeds, and those haven't improved quite so significantly in NVMe drives (** this synthetic test has not been tested by anybody in any video or article I've seen or can search for).

the performance of resizeableBAR in real games on a SATA ssd is suprisingly not that much slower than nvme.

image.thumb.png.3987790590aa95e1ffbd3e5380f8a27c.png

6s you can care. but the difference between 2s and 3s i'm sorry but really?

so even if you do swap out everything on an AM4 motherboard doing upgrades, it will never be the reason for your bottleneck itself (unless it dies or breaks)

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)