4080 60/80% Usage

wasnaga

Hi there,

I've done some research, but couldn't find a clear answer yet.

So last week I've decided to upgrade my desktop, moving from a 3070 to a 4080 and from a Ryzen7 3700X to a Ryzen 9 5900X.

Now my setup is as follow:

Asus ROG Strix B450 Gaming
64Gb Corsair Vengeance running at 3,000Mhz
2 TB SSD Sabrent
Nvidia RTX 4080 (KFA2)
Ryzen 9 5900X
1000W PSU
Samsung NEO G9

The "issue" I'm having is that I can easily run easily in ULTRA with Ray Tracing (with and without DLSS) and get around 70FPS, but the GPU Usage is between 60/80% (depending on the game) - the CPU load is instead pretty low some times even below 5%. I mean its great, but I'm wondering how come I'm not getting up to 100% usage therefore my FPS stays in the 70 range.

Any thoughts?

Thx ❤️

1 minute ago, wasnaga said:

Hi there,

I've done some research, but couldn't find a clear answer yet.

So last week I've decided to upgrade my desktop, moving from a 3070 to a 4080 and from a Ryzen7 3700X to a Ryzen 9 5900X.

Now my setup is as follow:

Asus ROG Strix B450 Gaming
64Gb Corsair Vengeance running at 3,000Mhz
2 TB SSD Sabrent
Nvidia RTX 4080 (KFA2)
Ryzen 9 5900X
1000W PSU
Samsung NEO G9

The "issue" I'm having is that I can easily run easily in ULTRA with Ray Tracing (with and without DLSS) and get around 70FPS, but the GPU Usage is between 60/80% (depending on the game) - the CPU load is instead pretty low some times even below 5%. I mean its great, but I'm wondering how come I'm not getting up to 100% usage therefore my FPS stays in the 70 range.

Any thoughts?

Thx ❤️

Could be ram bottleneck, the 5900x is also going to be a slight bottleneck for the 4080. Unoptimized games that can't take full advantage of the CPU to give your GPU more information ( cpu bottleneck ) etc.  Many things 🙂

2 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Could be ram bottleneck, the 5900x is also going to be a slight bottleneck for the 4080. Unoptimized games that can't take full advantage of the CPU to give your GPU more information ( cpu bottleneck ) etc.  Many things 🙂

Yeah I thought that too - so before making the purchase of 5900X - did some research and found good feedbacks, initially I was thinking to go for the latest Ryzen Gen, but then realised I had to changed MOBO + RAM it would have been a full new pc not just "an upgrade". What's also weird is if I run FurMark the GPU Loads goes to 100% then 70% then 100% again ...

1 minute ago, wasnaga said:

Yeah I thought that too - so before making the purchase of 5900X - did some research and found good feedbacks, initially I was thinking to go for the latest Ryzen Gen, but then realised I had to changed MOBO + RAM it would have been a full new pc not just "an upgrade". What's also weird is if I run FurMark the GPU Loads goes to 100% then 70% then 100% again ...

I think the 5800X3D would have been your best bet and not the 5900X sadly.  I had to move from an overclocked 9900k@5.1ghz all core due to it bottlenecking my 4080 pretty hard in games, I gained quite a bit of avg fps and the stutters are gone with my 7700x.  Furmark can be funky.

4 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

I think the 5800X3D would have been your best bet and not the 5900X sadly.  I had to move from an overclocked 9900k@5.1ghz all core due to it bottlenecking my 4080 pretty hard in games, I gained quite a bit of avg fps and the stutters are gone with my 7700x.  Furmark can be funky.

Yeah, that's what I was worried about, while searching I've found some ppl complaining about 5900X not working properly with latest nvidia GPU and they get it sorted with the 5800X3D, now wondering if it worth trying to send it back get refund and go for the 5800X3D or hoping in some updates by either nvidia or amd 😅

Depending the game that can be normal,If you have hardware faster then the game needs.Its only going to use the 60 to 80% you see.And im guessing your playing 1440p or 4k right ?