Planning upgrade path

Go to solution Solved by Queen Chrysalis,

See how it works.  If it runs everything well, don;t upgraade, just yuse the computer.  You're playing a very expensive game that will lead you to always wanting to spend more for nothing much in return.  If anything, you can OC the 3600 to like 4.7GHz if you are not quite hitting full util on the 3080ti.  I would honestly upgrade your monitor if you're still playing at 1080p, much more worthwhile than a CPU upgrade.

Budget (including currency): Flexible

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming - Newest titles, Some video editing.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

MB: X570 Aorus Elite

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: ASUS ROG Strix 3080 Ti

PSU: Corsair RM850x

RAM: TEAMGROUP Dark Pro 2 x 8 GB DDR4-3200 CL14

COOLER: CM Hyper 212 Black

MONITOR: Asus VG248QE 24" 1080 144 Hz

SSD: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 250 GB

CASE: Corsair Carbide Series 300R ATX

I play esports type FPS games at high refresh rates but also play many newer titles as they are released. I upgrade slowly and typically piece by piece but I recently got a stupid good deal from a friend on the 3080 Ti. I went ahead and upgraded my PSU from an 8 year old 650 watt to the RM850x to support the higher demand of the GPU. Now I'm taking a look at the rest of the system and wondering what the next step should be.

Mainly looking at it from a gaming standpoint what should my upgrade path be?

3 minutes ago, MarleysBeard said:

Budget (including currency): Flexible

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming - Newest titles, Some video editing.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

MB: X570 Aorus Elite

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: ASUS ROG Strix 3080 Ti

PSU: Corsair RM850x

RAM: TEAMGROUP Dark Pro 2 x 8 GB DDR4-3200 CL14

COOLER: CM Hyper 212 Black

MONITOR: Asus VG248QE 24" 1080 144 Hz

SSD: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 250 GB

CASE: Corsair Carbide Series 300R ATX

I play esports type FPS games at high refresh rates but also play many newer titles as they are released. I upgrade slowly and typically piece by piece but I recently got a stupid good deal from a friend on the 3080 Ti. I went ahead and upgraded my PSU from an 8 year old 650 watt to the RM850x to support the higher demand of the GPU. Now I'm taking a look at the rest of the system and wondering what the next step should be.

Mainly looking at it from a gaming standpoint what should my upgrade path be?

for now keep your mobo (since its a good one) get the 5800 x3d to accomadate the 3080 ti. For the rest of the parts that you should upgrade follow this pcpp link (especially if you want a new, higher res monitor, also if you don't need the extra fans cuz you already have them, no need to buy them): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8yn4cb

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

9 minutes ago, filpo said:

for now keep your mobo (since its a good one) get the 5800 x3d to accomadate the 3080 ti. For the rest of the parts that you should upgrade follow this pcpp link (especially if you want a new, higher res monitor, also if you don't need the extra fans cuz you already have them, no need to buy them): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8yn4cb

Appreciate the response. Would 4 8gb sticks be better than 2 16gb? Or is the point to allow for adding 2 more 16gb sticks later?

4 minutes ago, MarleysBeard said:

Appreciate the response. Would 4 8gb sticks be better than 2 16gb? Or is the point to allow for adding 2 more 16gb sticks later?

if you want to add 2 more 16 gig sticks you can i just put that on the list because i didn't know you has four slots. If you want to buy two more sticks make sure their the same tho

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

See how it works.  If it runs everything well, don;t upgraade, just yuse the computer.  You're playing a very expensive game that will lead you to always wanting to spend more for nothing much in return.  If anything, you can OC the 3600 to like 4.7GHz if you are not quite hitting full util on the 3080ti.  I would honestly upgrade your monitor if you're still playing at 1080p, much more worthwhile than a CPU upgrade.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

59 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Appreciate the response. Yeah my monitor was purchased in 2015 its definitely time to replace it. I'll likely go 1440p high refresh.

2 hours ago, MarleysBeard said:

Appreciate the response. Yeah my monitor was purchased in 2015 its definitely time to replace it. I'll likely go 1440p high refresh.

Then more incentive to not upgrade, as more of the processing would go to your stronger GPU. The build is fine, 5800X3D would scratch the itch but definitely not economically sound like @Queen Chrysalis says.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

3 hours ago, MarleysBeard said:

A 3080ti 3600 combo would be pretty great for that.  TBH the 3080ti would be WAY underutilized at 1080p anyway.  The 3600 should be fast enough, but if it's close you can usually OC them to about 4.6 or 4.7.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.