PC for streaming (no gaming)

theom

Budget (including currency): As cheap as possible while getting required performance. No upper limit as long as it is a justified cost.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Explained below

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hi all, 

Happy WAN to anyone reading this in the next 3 hours.

I need to spec a PC that will be used for a fairly specific use case:

• It will be used for streaming and locally recording simultaneously via OBS
  • Camera inputs and audio are coming from a Roland video switcher
  • In the near future there is the possibility that it will need to be able to handle NDI decoding from 2-6 sources
  • There will be no other use for this computer so doesn't need to have good gaming performance or anything like that

Here is the pcpartspicker list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/f7BHC6

Please weigh in with any changes you think are needed. Some other things to note:

• There is no GPU in this list as I thought going used may be sensible - not sure what would be good for the use but I imagine a 1650 or 1660 should be sufficient?
  • The motherboard needs to have at least 2 x16 slots as an expansion card may be needed in the future
  • I have added 2 of the same fans that are included in the case except it is the P version (static pressure) rather than the Q version (quiet airflow), I doubt it will but could this cause any issues with cooling?
  • It needs to be built and ready for Friday so I have stuck with Amazon Prime items only (parts I can buy in store from somewhere like Currys would be fine too)

Thanks in advance 🙂

34 minutes ago, theom said:

Budget (including currency): As cheap as possible while getting required performance. No upper limit as long as it is a justified cost.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hi all, 

• In the near future there is the possibility that it will need to be able to handle NDI decoding from 2-6 sources
  • There will be no other use for this computer so doesn't need to have good gaming performance or anything like that

Please weigh in with any changes you think are needed. Some other things to note:

• There is no GPU in this list as I thought going used may be sensible - not sure what would be good for the use but I imagine a 1650 or 1660 should be sufficient?
  • The motherboard needs to have at least 2 x16 slots as an expansion card may be needed in the future
  • I have added 2 of the same fans that are included in the case except it is the P version (static pressure) rather than the Q version (quiet airflow), I doubt it will but could this cause any issues with cooling?
  • It needs to be built and ready for Friday so I have stuck with Amazon Prime items only (parts I can buy in store from somewhere like Currys would be fine too)

Thanks in advance 🙂

The A380 has AV1 incoding which is better for streaming in nvenc

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£179.46 @ Amazon UK) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 7 X CPU Cooler  (£18.41 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M AORUS ELITE Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£100.87 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (£69.20 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: KIOXIA EXCERIA 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (£43.05 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: ASRock Intel Arc A380 Challenger ITX Arc A380 6 GB Video Card  (£145.99 @ MoreCoCo) 
Case: Deepcool MATREXX 40 3FS MicroATX Mini Tower Case  (£39.98 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Power Supply: Corsair TX550M 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (£54.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Total: £651.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-04-01 03:28 BST+0100

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

On 3/31/2023 at 9:49 PM, theom said:

Hi all, 

Thanks in advance 🙂

Hi... I think this would be much better for your needs. I went all Intel for better compatibility and the CPU and the GPU will pair excellent together and work hand in hand with each other when streaming/recording and even render video much faster. I tried for an all white NZXT look so everything color blends nicely. The fans won't be a problem. Also you don't want an older HDD, with NVME so cheap these days it's a no brainer going that route and the old HDD will only slow you down to a crawl. All in all I think this will be a very nice PC for you and will last you at least 7-10 years if you do proper maintenance from time to time like cleaning out all the dust and debris every 4-6 months, it only takes about 10-15 minutes. The M.2 you picked I would never use for any PC, Just because it's cheap doesn't mean that its good but I made better choices for you and you will be really happy.

I have been building PCs for 30 years, this is all I do. If you have any questions please ask.

P.S. One final note... If you can use Newegg to buy your parts and have them shipped to you I would advise this route because they often have combo deals to take advantage of, I just did a system for someone yesterday that he got $300 off his new PC because of bundles, combos, and discounts.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Z7zc8r

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor  (£317.99 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  (£41.90 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO G ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (£276.37 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  (£161.41 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Gigabyte AORUS Gen4 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (£48.48 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (£150.66 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Intel Limited Edition Arc A770 16 GB Video Card  (£437.49 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT H5 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case  (£74.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750x White (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£149.90 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: NZXT F120 RGB 50.18 CFM 120 mm Fan  (£24.95 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: NZXT F140 RGB 89.48 CFM 140 mm Fans 2-Pack  (£64.98 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1749.11

I have been building PCs for over 30 years so if you have any questions please ask. For Future Communication I use Discord for much Faster Response Times as I have it open 24/7. I am also available if you need help before, during, or after the Build Process on Discord through Text,Voice, or Video Chat. I can be with you while you build your new PC if you need me to be. Here is my Discord: Wizardsnapper#2772

@PC HEROES, the arc A380 is better at encoding and decoding than the A770. and for the OP i want to say that the intel ark lineup is cheap and has FANTASTIC encoders/ decoders

this is what i would recommend-

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/NDqzQ6

its a bit higher in cost but comes with the cost of the GPU included. the CPU comes with a stock cooler which should be fine for your work but you can always get the arctic tower cooler for 20 pounds. also, the CPU is loads faster.

1 hour ago, PC HEROES said:

All in all I think this will be a very nice PC for you and will last you at least 7-10 years if you do proper maintenance from time to time like cleaning out all the dust and debris every 4-6 months

that SSDs endurance is not enough for the (relatively) heavy use that that SSD is going to be put under and is not going to last more than 4 years give or take. a SATA SSD is a great middle ground between speed and capacity while having the added benefit of having DRAM

17 hours ago, planetary problem said:

@PC HEROES, the arc A380 is better at encoding and decoding than the A770. and for the OP i want to say that the intel ark lineup is cheap and has FANTASTIC encoders/ decoders

this is what i would recommend-

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/NDqzQ6

its a bit higher in cost but comes with the cost of the GPU included. the CPU comes with a stock cooler which should be fine for your work but you can always get the arctic tower cooler for 20 pounds. also, the CPU is loads faster.

Thank you for this, the SSD definitely makes more sense now that I think about it. Looking at benchmarks the intel CPU seems to have lower multithreaded performance than the 5700x, though single thread is better. Given that I may be throwing multiple input devices at it would it not be beneficial to use the Ryzen chip?

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/4814vs4994/AMD-Ryzen-7-5700X-vs-Intel-i5-13400

30 minutes ago, theom said:

Given that I may be throwing multiple input devices at it would it not be beneficial to use the Ryzen chip?

No. in this website the Ryzen may be faster but in reality, they both trade blows in MT performance but more often than not, the i5 comes out on top.

30 minutes ago, theom said:

Thank you for this, the SSD definitely makes more sense now that I think about it

if you can, stretch your budget to get a Samsung 870 evo or even a firecuda 510/ firecuda 530 because these have more endurance than the MX500 (the 870 evo almost double and the fire cuda almost quadruple for endurance per GB compared to the MX 500)

and you're welcome!!!

@theom I would recommend that you watch Tech Notice's videos about building for creators. I think it'll help. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂