Visual Studio 2012 vs. 2013

AxelRantila

Hello everyone.

I'm currently sitting with Visual Studio 2012, but considering getting 2013. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with both of them and if it's worth upgrading (particular for C++, which I will be using the most).

Not much difference, 2012 has some problems with Windows 8 and up, so they patched that in 2013.

Not much difference, 2012 has some problems with Windows 8 and up, so they patched that in 2013.

What problems? I've used 2012 for houndreds of hours without problems.

If you're actually paying for it I would say no, if you're not then there's not really a reason not to.

What problems? I've used 2012 for houndreds of hours without problems.

That is the experience we have at collage, everyone with Windows 8 had to upgrade to 2013 because 2012 kept crashing when opening a C# project.

I'm actually installing 2013 right now, the rest of the devs are happy with it

If you are a student you can get a free copy of Visual Studio Professional 2013 from dreamspark https://www.dreamspark.com/Student/Software-Catalog.aspx

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

So what I seem to get from this thread; the difference isn't that much but if you're gonna use it on W8 (which I will use once I buy myself a new computer later this year) it could be worth upgradings

If you're actually paying for it I would say no, if you're not then there's not really a reason not to.

I can get it through Dreamspark

So what I seem to get from this thread; the difference isn't that much but if you're gonna use it on W8 (which I will use once I buy myself a new computer later this year) it could be worth upgradings

I can get it through Dreamspark

Same for me, should I even consider downloading 2013? I've also got Dreamspark access.

2013 has better support for C++11

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh409293.aspx

The only reason not to upgrade is if you're in an environment with a large codebase that could break.

eta: I use 2012 at work and 2013 at home. 

main(i){for(;i<101;i++)printf("Fizz\n\0Fizzz\bBuzz\n\0%d\n"+(!(i%5)^!!(i%3)*3)*6,i);}

That is the experience we have at collage, everyone with Windows 8 had to upgrade to 2013 because 2012 kept crashing when opening a C# project.

that's cause your college's tech support has bad images for one reason or another.

it's been used at my works for months and months now with no issue.

that's cause your college's tech support has bad images for one reason or another.

it's been used at my works for months and months now with no issue.

We have a BYOD policy and students get the images straight from Dreamspark.

Same for me, should I even consider downloading 2013? I've also got Dreamspark access.

Yes, do students from universities in the Netherlands have access to Dreamspark? Interesting

Learning