My pc display randomly turns off and yellow light appears on my motherboard

Darth Cheesewiz

This issue started a week ago or 2 and its been really annoying, at first my pc display turned off and my fans went at full speed and had to force shut it down by switching the psu off, i manged to make it so that the fans dont go at full speed for some reason but the yellow light still appears. I have to sticks of ddr4 16gb and im thinking its that, i already took one off and left one and also with the other one and the issue happened a lot faster, with both sticks it would be 4-6 hours of usage before it happens and with 1 stick its less than 30 min before it turns off. 

6 minutes ago, Darth Cheesewiz said:

This issue started a week ago or 2 and its been really annoying, at first my pc display turned off and my fans went at full speed and had to force shut it down by switching the psu off, i manged to make it so that the fans dont go at full speed for some reason but the yellow light still appears. I have to sticks of ddr4 16gb and im thinking its that, i already took one off and left one and also with the other one and the issue happened a lot faster, with both sticks it would be 4-6 hours of usage before it happens and with 1 stick its less than 30 min before it turns off. 

where on the motherboard does this yellow light appear, like near to what tag? (cpu, ram, bios or other)

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

1 minute ago, filpo said:

where on the motherboard does this yellow light appear, like near to what tag? (cpu, ram, bios or other)

i dont have it right now but its in the error leds that the motherboard has, its near the 24 pin connector and looked at the manual and apparently dram is the issue. its an asus rog strix b550 f gaming motherboard if that matters 

1 minute ago, Darth Cheesewiz said:

i dont have it right now but its in the error leds that the motherboard has, its near the 24 pin connector and looked at the manual and apparently dram is the issue. its an asus rog strix b550 f gaming motherboard if that matters 

if dram is the issue then try taking out your RAM and putting it in the A2 and B2 slots correspondently (i assume they were already in those slots)

So take them out and put them back in with the pins in the right way 

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

This is either the system memory or the GPU. If adjusting the memory in the system affects when it crashes I'd go with that. If you have already tried the sticks in different configs and in different slots, next step would be testing an entirely different kit. Do you have another kit of ram you can borrow from someone or somewhere locally where you can buy a new kit? That's going to be the next step in testing.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

12 minutes ago, filpo said:

if dram is the issue then try taking out your RAM and putting it in the A2 and B2 slots correspondently (i assume they were already in those slots)

So take them out and put them back in with the pins in the right way 

Yeah they where already where in those slots and ive tried that too and same issue happened. 

16 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

This is either the system memory or the GPU. If adjusting the memory in the system affects when it crashes I'd go with that. If you have already tried the sticks in different configs and in different slots, next step would be testing an entirely different kit. Do you have another kit of ram you can borrow from someone or somewhere locally where you can buy a new kit? That's going to be the next step in testing.

I mean i thought you needed to always have your slots in A2 and B2 never tried the other 2 but ill see if that will work, a friend had a spare stick of ram and ill try it and see if that is the issue. It sort of affects if i have one or both sticks tho, just the amount of time it takes for it to crash/turn off. 

Im still afraid it can be the gpu, i bought every single piece and built this pc 4 months ago and never had issues, for trying to see if the gpu is the issue i have integrated graphics on my cpu so that could help too if i switch to that?

No, you can have the ram in other slots. Typically you want it in slots 2 and 4(a2 and b2) for dual channel, however the ram should work in any slot, if it's a single stick, or if you have them in a1 and a2 or b1 and b2 it just won't run the two sticks in dual channel. Testing each stick individually in every slot is  a common troubleshooting step. It will allow you to rule out if it's the ram modules or the slots that are bad. 

Testing an entirely different ram kit will also help with the troubleshooting. If the error still persists regardless of the ram module installed and slot it is in, then that would mean it is not your ram or the slots. If it only does it in a certain slot, or with a specific ram module but the others don't that would mean that slot or module is bad. 

If you don't have troubleshooting experience, and you can't figure it out I'd recommend you take it to a professional. Such as a repair shop or somewhere that can do the troubleshooting for you.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2023 at 6:05 PM, SpookyCitrus said:

No, you can have the ram in other slots. Typically you want it in slots 2 and 4(a2 and b2) for dual channel, however the ram should work in any slot, if it's a single stick, or if you have them in a1 and a2 or b1 and b2 it just won't run the two sticks in dual channel. Testing each stick individually in every slot is  a common troubleshooting step. It will allow you to rule out if it's the ram modules or the slots that are bad. 

Testing an entirely different ram kit will also help with the troubleshooting. If the error still persists regardless of the ram module installed and slot it is in, then that would mean it is not your ram or the slots. If it only does it in a certain slot, or with a specific ram module but the others don't that would mean that slot or module is bad. 

If you don't have troubleshooting experience, and you can't figure it out I'd recommend you take it to a professional. Such as a repair shop or somewhere that can do the troubleshooting for you.

Late response but i got it fixed, it was one of 3 things and i honestly dont want to do more to figure out: In one go i cleaned my AIO a little bit, reconnected the 24 pin and cpu cables and switched the ram slots from 2 and 4 to 1 and 3, i know i lose the dual channel but it worked and haven't had any issues.