Upgrading PC to something a little newer

matrixman
Go to solution Solved by AdamBGames,
1 minute ago, matrixman said:

Budget: Around $1,000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: General Computer Use, Mainly Blizzard Games, D4, WoW, D3

I have no Micro Center around me

I currently have a 

CPU: Intel i5 - 4690S

GPU: EVGA 980 ti classified

RAM: 16 GB 1600Mhz

Boot Drive: 256 Adata Drive

I want to upgrade to something a little newer, but around the same power draw because of electricity bills and for a budget. 

This is the build that I am going with right now, 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7JrL3y .

I just do not know what motherboard I need to get I want a good motherboard that is future proof but I also do not want to spend 175+ for a motherboard. I might plan on upgrading to a better 12th gen later down in the road. Or I don't know if it's possible but maybe 13th gen.

I was looking at the MSI PRO B660M-A.

Whenever I put it in PC part picker it says I am going to need a additional 4 pin atx for the motherboard is there a better PSU that's around the same price that includes that. 

Thanks, will be looking a responses.

Since you're buying an i3, something like a B760 (I say 760 instead of 660 as it will give you some more features and probably longer compatibility) will be fine. As it cannot be overclocked.

Motherboards at that low end really don't matter much outside of getting the IO you need, make sure it has enough USB ports, SATA ports, VRM cooling, and WIFI if you need it. Something like the 

Asus PRIME B760M-K D4 should do you just fine if you dont need wifi or 

In terms of power supply you have an i3, so you would only need the first 8 pin power anyway, but if you do want to future proof a little, something like the Corsair RM750e 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply should last you a significant amount of time.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: General Computer Use, Mainly Blizzard Games, D4, WoW, D3

I currently have a 

I want to upgrade to something a little newer, but around the same power draw because of electricity bills and for a budget. 

I just do not know what motherboard I need to get I want a good motherboard that is future proof but I also do not want to spend 175+ for a motherboard. I might plan on upgrading to a better 12th gen later down in the road. Or I don't know if it's possible but maybe 13th gen.

Whenever I put it in PC part picker it says I am going to need a additional 4 pin atx for the motherboard is there a better PSU that's around the same price that includes that. 

1 minute ago, matrixman said:

I currently have a 

Since you're buying an i3, something like a B760 (I say 760 instead of 660 as it will give you some more features and probably longer compatibility) will be fine. As it cannot be overclocked.

Motherboards at that low end really don't matter much outside of getting the IO you need, make sure it has enough USB ports, SATA ports, VRM cooling, and WIFI if you need it. Something like the 

Asus PRIME B760M-K D4 should do you just fine if you dont need wifi or 

In terms of power supply you have an i3, so you would only need the first 8 pin power anyway, but if you do want to future proof a little, something like the Corsair RM750e 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply should last you a significant amount of time.

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | MSI B550A Pro | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 2TB Western Digital Green HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | AMD R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Phone | Samsung S10 Lite (128GB + 128GB SD card) |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch 

5 minutes ago, matrixman said:

I currently have a 

I will also make the point to save your money on the cooler, it's an i3, it won't pump out much in the way of heat, and see if you can use that $33 to get a secondary hard drive or something for more storage.

Oh and also, your case is huge and way more than you need, I suggest getting a cheaper one and one that is MATX. Full Towers are MASSIVE

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | MSI B550A Pro | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 2TB Western Digital Green HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | AMD R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Phone | Samsung S10 Lite (128GB + 128GB SD card) |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch 

7 minutes ago, matrixman said:

I currently have a 

What case, cooler and PSU? Yeah we're pushing the 10-15 year PSU lifecycle with keeping the PSU, but id like to know because that would help a lot in cost compression.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

16 minutes ago, matrixman said:

I currently have a 

Hi, I think this build will be perfect for you. Let me know if you have any questions.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VQtsDq

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($156.63 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ID-COOLING SE-225-XT 76.16 CFM CPU Cooler  ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING A520M-PLUS WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Mushkin Redline Lumina 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($80.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: XFX Speedster QICK 308 ULTRA Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB Video Card  ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Deepcool MATREXX 40 3FS MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($59.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Enermax Revolution D.F. 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $922.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

I have been building PCs for over 30 years so if you have any questions please ask. For Future Communication I use Discord for much Faster Response Times as I have it open 24/7. I am also available if you need help before, during, or after the Build Process on Discord through Text,Voice, or Video Chat. I can be with you while you build your new PC if you need me to be. Here is my Discord: Wizardsnapper#2772

53 minutes ago, matrixman said:

I currently have a 

if we assume that you are going all brand new, my build probably the toughest that I had to put together but should be a beast to work on it then:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8ymBk9

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8ymBk9

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($213.63 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin King SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  ($24.39 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B550 GAMING GEN3 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: TEAMGROUP Vulcan Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($38.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Intel 670p 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($84.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI MECH 2X OC Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Video Card  ($369.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.98 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 PE 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1001.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-03-30 18:48 EDT-0400

If you do mind the extra 2 dollars let me know

Edited by GorujoCY

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

12 minutes ago, GorujoCY said:

if we assume that you are going all brand new, my build probably the toughest that I had to put together but should be a beast to work on it then:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8ymBk9

Why whould you put such CPU on this motherboard? I really would go with a better cooler as well.

16 minutes ago, BozhiPlayZ said:

Why whould you put such CPU on this motherboard? I really would go with a better cooler as well.

1. why the hell not? go with a 5700x or ryzen 5 instead if you want, with r5 can possibly be weaker but again that's fine, but still that's a good cpu regardless for the money
2. this cooler is good enough, 5 heat pipes, direct airflow and thermalright has been pretty good at their coolers, it's basically bang for buck

Edited by GorujoCY

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

5 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

What case, cooler and PSU? Yeah we're pushing the 10-15 year PSU lifecycle with keeping the PSU, but id like to know because that would help a lot in cost compression.

Umm, so it's my dad's PC that he's upgraded multiple times and has not touched, he does not want me upgrading it for some reason but I have a PC of my own that is a basically a testing rig, it has a 4460 and a 1650 in it. It's hand me downs. 

Back to your question the 980 ti PC has an Antec TRUE POWER 750w 

Can't find the age but 07-10?? 

The one in my PC is a even older one that I have 0 clue what it is but it's supposedly a 1000 watt with special stuff, that his Electrical Engineer buddy told him it was good. They're both still running and nothing seems wrong.  They both have really bright blue lights.  That's why I wanted to get a Less Power Hungry system because I am still living with my dad. The 12100f will be great. I am not saying my current one is or isn't. I just want to keep it that way when I upgrade.

Just now, matrixman said:

Umm, so it's my dad's PC that he's upgraded multiple times and has not touched, he does not want me upgrading it for some reason but I have a PC of my own that is a basically a testing rig, it has a 4460 and a 1650 in it. It's hand me downs. 

Back to your question the 980 ti PC has an Antec TRUE POWER 750w 

Can't find the age but 07-10?? 

The one in my PC is a even older one that I have 0 clue what it is but it's supposedly a 1000 watt with special stuff, that his Electrical Engineer buddy told him it was good. They're both still running and nothing seems wrong.  They both have really bright blue lights.  That's why I wanted to get a Less Power Hungry system because I am still living with my dad. The 12100f will be great. 

So, I have a P300 phanteks and the Ethoo that I can't use. I would just rather buy another one mines busted up.

Thank you all for your responses, my goal was around 1k, but the cheaper I could go was better, because the goal was I got cheaper but it's still an significant upgrade and then I could upgrade the GPU and CPU later on. 

Any recommendations for Mid Atx cases. Under 75$

The only one I know of is phanteks. 

I am open for more, just not a lot of glass, I like more metal.

One more thing, I don't like how the

P300 does not have an ON light.

So it's hard to tell if it's on or off. I just like having it thanks.

11 hours ago, matrixman said:

Thank you all for your responses, my goal was around 1k, but the cheaper I could go was better, because the goal was I got cheaper but it's still an significant upgrade and then I could upgrade the GPU and CPU later on. 

Any recommendations for Mid Atx cases. Under 75$

The only one I know of is phanteks. 

I am open for more, just not a lot of glass, I like more metal.

One more thing, I don't like how the

P300 does not have an ON light.

So it's hard to tell if it's on or off. I just like having it thanks.

afaik from what I'm seeing in the images the eclipse p300a does have an ON LED so don't worry about it, to make it cheaper then you can drop to a 5700x, as it's about 25 dollars cheaper

and as of writing you can knock another 45 dollars with mail in rebates and discount or 20 with just discount and still stick to 5800x, otherwise go with 5700x and do the same thing up to you

My PC