Is the royal kludge rk84 a decent keyboard?

kitnoman

Here in our region, royal directly sell their products thru our local online shops. I’m mostly interested with the 80-75keys model and with discount, the rk84 is around $40 including tax. i know that it’s really cheap for a hot swappable keyboard, supports 3 modes(2.4, bluetooth,wired), with 2 usb passthrough. But if it’s crap, I would still be waisting $40. Is it easy to mod? Basically, trying other brands so I can add them to my collections(still very few). I’m also just new in the custom keyboard hobby.

Just now, kitnoman said:

the rk84 is around $40

I mean its a fine 84 key keyboard, but definitely nothing remarkable if at all. Tray mount with no hidden back screws or clips so no destructive surprises, but you gotta keep in mind the integrated battery cable (i personally immediately removed it as its a fire hazard and i dont need its wireless function), and also the fact that it comes in either bad switch compatibility with Outemu hotswap sockets, or bad reliability with a proprietary hotswap socket. Itll be moddable but you might come with bitter surprise later or sooner down the road.

But beyond that the other notable thing is the plate mounted stabilizer is piss poor even after doing a tolerance mod like Holee Mod, so youll get stabilizer mush and tick, which is dumb. So add aftermarket plate mounted stabilizer (Durock V2 plate stabilizer is the most common ones, but Maxgaming currently have TX Plate Mounted Stabilizers in stock which would be an absolute endgame for this inherently limited stabilizer mounting mechanism).

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

27 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

I mean its a fine 84 key keyboard, but definitely nothing remarkable if at all.

ye agree 

37 minutes ago, kitnoman said:

Here in our region, royal directly sell their products thru our local online shops. I’m mostly interested with the 80-75keys model and with discount, the rk84 is around $40 including tax. i know that it’s really cheap for a hot swappable keyboard, supports 3 modes(2.4, bluetooth,wired), with 2 usb passthrough. But if it’s crap, I would still be waisting $40. Is it easy to mod? Basically, trying other brands so I can add them to my collections(still very few). I’m also just new in the custom keyboard hobby.

check out something like the g413 tkl 

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

1 minute ago, filpo said:

g413 tkl

Nope. They do not comply with the Cherry MX switch standard plate hole of 15x15 so youre stuck with Logitech GX switches ecosystem. And to rub salt, Keychron C Series can currently still be routinely had for their price point and it has kailh hotswappable sockets, same 1khz pollrate, and better attitude towards modding.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 minute ago, SorryClaire said:

Nope. They do not comply with the Cherry MX switch standard plate hole of 15x15 so youre stuck with Logitech GX switches ecosystem. And to rub salt, Keychron C Series can currently still be routinely had for their price point and it has kailh hotswappable sockets, same 1khz pollrate, and better attitude towards modding.

oh ye didn't read the whole post

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)