Nintendo Switch Pro Controller Drift, Potential Causes?

MikeyLORR

The left stick on my Switch pro controller has recently started to drift. I attempted to fix it by opening the controller and spraying the inside of the stick module with compressed air (following this guide: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Eliminate+Joystick+Drift+from+a+Nintendo+Switch+Pro+Controller/150106), but this only temporarily fixes the issue. I am considering replacing the stick module, although I am a bit worried that this won't fix the issue, and that something else is causing drift. It's possible that the shell or upper stick cap has worn out or has some sort of opening which is allowing dust and other particles to get into the stick more easily. Any advice before I order a replacement stick module and soldering equipment?

Drift is caused by the potentiometer getting miscalibrated due to wear on the internal mechanisms of the joystick.

The internal mechanisms rub against each other and wear down, which over time, changes the default value, which is what causes drift.

Every joystick that isn't a hall-effect stick (which uses magnets to determine it's position) will eventually suffer from drift.

Replacing the stick module will fix the problem, but it's not a long term fix, as the initial thing that caused the problem is still there (the wearing down of the physical parts over time).

On 3/28/2023 at 3:32 PM, MikeyLORR said:

The left stick on my Switch pro controller has recently started to drift. I attempted to fix it by opening the controller and spraying the inside of the stick module with compressed air (following this guide: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Eliminate+Joystick+Drift+from+a+Nintendo+Switch+Pro+Controller/150106), but this only temporarily fixes the issue. I am considering replacing the stick module, although I am a bit worried that this won't fix the issue, and that something else is causing drift. It's possible that the shell or upper stick cap has worn out or has some sort of opening which is allowing dust and other particles to get into the stick more easily. Any advice before I order a replacement stick module and soldering equipment?

Hey there, sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the left stick on your Switch pro controller! I know how frustrating it can be when drift keeps coming back even after you've tried to fix it.

It's possible that the issue may not be with the stick module, but with the shell or upper stick cap instead. Before you go ahead and order a replacement stick module and soldering equipment, you might want to try a few other troubleshooting steps.

First, you could try cleaning the inside of the stick module more thoroughly using rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab. This might help remove any debris that the compressed air didn't get rid of.

If that doesn't work, another option is to replace the upper stick cap, which is a less invasive fix that doesn't require soldering.

But if these attempts don't work, then replacing the stick module might be your best bet. Just keep in mind that if you're not comfortable with opening up the controller or soldering, it might be best to take it to a professional for repair.

I hope this helps, and good luck fixing your controller!