Computer Randomly Shutting Down

Tearz49ers
Go to solution Solved by duckargent,

What errors do you get in the Event viewer? If it's Kernel power event ID 41 it might be a PSU error.

By how it looks, that is, the system not being able to physically start (interrupting lights), it definitely looks like a faulty PSU. Or it can be a fine PSU with a faulty motherboard (less likely). Both of them can lead to a loss of power.

Hello,

So for the past couple of weeks my PC has been shutting itself down randomly and the struggling to boot back up again as you can see in the video in the link.

https://streamable.com/llqwp7

The PSU, Motherboard, Ram, and all cooling was updated around a year and half ago.

Any ideas what the issue could be?

Excuse the sighing in the video, I'm extremely frustrated to this point with it.

32 minutes ago, Tearz49ers said:

Excuses the sighing in the video, I'm extremely frustrated to this point with it.

I can understand the frustration! Dont worry about the sighs

30 minutes ago, Tearz49ers said:

So for the past couple of weeks my PC has been shutting itself down randomly and the struggling to boot back up again as you can see in the video in the link.

Did you make any changes in the UEFI/BIOS before the problem started to occur? It seems to me like your PC is failing overclocking! Does it actually boot, then randomly shut down after a certain usage period? Have you been monitoring tempuratures lately to make sure it's not overheating?

Will try to help you out with a little more information! 

25 minutes ago, imPaTT said:

I can understand the frustration! Dont worry about the sighs

Did you make any changes in the UEFI/BIOS before the problem started to occur? It seems to me like your PC is failing overclocking! Does it actually boot, then randomly shut down after a certain usage period? Have you been monitoring tempuratures lately to make sure it's not overheating?

Will try to help you out with a little more information! 

I haven't made any changes to the BIOS at all. It does boot, and for two days or so it was working fine without the issues I was having, the video just shows how it tries to boot after the random shutdowns.

So for instance, it can shutdown when I'm using Photoshop or for instance today when I was running some coding through Google sheets, it's completely random when it shuts down and not really just when I am "doing" one single activity.

I do check the temps via Ique.

It seems like its struggling to get power for a bit, might be an issue with the power supply. 
Try reseating the power cables and maybe unplug the reset and power button and turn on manually just in case one of them is shorting ( dosent look like it though)

7 minutes ago, jollypirate said:

It seems like its struggling to get power for a bit, might be an issue with the power supply. 
Try reseating the power cables and maybe unplug the reset and power button and turn on manually just in case one of them is shorting ( dosent look like it though)

I wondered if it was a PSU issue. It has a Corsair RM750 (modular) in there, which I thought would be enough but maybe I'll go one step further.

Cant really say whether its enough or not without the specs, but either way looks like a malfuction. If it tripped the power limit it would just power off completley

10 hours ago, ComradeBard said:

Cant really say whether its enough or not without the specs, but either way looks like a malfuction. If it tripped the power limit it would just power off completley

It has:

• CPU: Intel-Core I7-10700K

• PSU: Corsair RM 750 80 Plus

• AIO: Corsair I-Que H100 Pro

• Ram: 32GB DDR4 3200 Vengeance Pro

•Corsair Commander Pro

• GPU: RTX 2070 Super

•Motherboard: Asus Prime Z490

•Cruicial MX500 2TB SSD

• 6x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans

What errors do you get in the Event viewer? If it's Kernel power event ID 41 it might be a PSU error.

By how it looks, that is, the system not being able to physically start (interrupting lights), it definitely looks like a faulty PSU. Or it can be a fine PSU with a faulty motherboard (less likely). Both of them can lead to a loss of power.

7 hours ago, Tearz49ers said:

It has:

• CPU: Intel-Core I7-10700K

• PSU: Corsair RM 750 80 Plus

• AIO: Corsair I-Que H100 Pro

• Ram: 32GB DDR4 3200 Vengeance Pro

•Corsair Commander Pro

• GPU: RTX 2070 Super

•Motherboard: Asus Prime Z490

•Cruicial MX500 2TB SSD

• 6x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans

Oh in terms of wattage 750 should be plenty for that system. Do you have any spare psu you can test before getting a new one? 

On 3/29/2023 at 1:49 PM, ComradeBard said:

Oh in terms of wattage 750 should be plenty for that system. Do you have any spare psu you can test before getting a new one? 

I have picked up a new 850 which I am going to put in it, if that cures the issue long-term then I shall have the other repaired as it's under warranty still. Thanks for all the help guys, I will update once I know 100% if it was the PSU.

On 3/30/2023 at 2:21 PM, ComradeBard said:

No problem let us know what happens

It was the PSU, but 3 days later windows gave up on me. I think the M.2 where it was stored gave up because of all the shutdowns and reboots. So I'm swapping that out today and a fresh windows install.