CPU hits 100C

Mitch619911

Hello!

I am having an issue with my i9 11900K.

Around 30% of CPU usage my temps are around 50c-70c but sometimes without high utilization my CPU jumps to 80C and sometimes 100C.

I only have Chrome, Discord, Microsoft Teams, DBever programs running, not a whole lot, no games.

I've cleaned my CPU cooler and case (Hyper 212 Black) and added a PULL fan, 2 fans now, push/pull on CPU cooler. My next step is to replace thermal paste.

Could my thermal paste be cooked? I know it was running at 100C for a good amount of time before I was able to shut it down and dig into it.

My case is under my desk but has space all around it, at least 1 foot of clear space all around it, it also has 4 case fans running.

Thanks for reading, any help is appreciated!

You likely need a better cooler. The Hyper 212 is nowhere near the chonk needed for modern i7/i9 (heck even the latest K series i5 chips) at full tilt. Look for a Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE, those are going for ~$30 rn and should be a great upgrade.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

If you want to stay Air Cooled, upgrade to an AK-620 or something of that caliber.

Otherwise consider investing in a 240mm+ AIO.

31 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

What about your case?

Case is a white Nzxt Case Phantom.

47 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Is the Assassin SE really better than the 212? Where/How can I compare CPU coolers? (I found it on Amazon for $30, might pick this one up.. cheap deal)

I really don't have space for a water cooler unless I move everything around... I think air cooling is my best option for now.

Thank you guys for the help, I really had no idea the 212 was a bad cooler for my CPU, I've been running it for awhile...

i1kW832b832i.png

Is it worth it to replace my thermal paste tonight or wait until I get a new cooler?

Can I underclock my CPU to help temps for now so I stop cooking it?

12 minutes ago, Mitch619911 said:

Is the Assassin SE really better than the 212?

It's a lot better.

One of the reasons i went with a 5700X CPU was the low power consumption and heat and as a result i can use my ancient 212 EVO with that CPU.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

14 minutes ago, Mitch619911 said:

Is the Assassin SE really better than the 212? Where/How can I compare CPU coolers? (I found it on Amazon for $30, might pick this one up.. cheap deal)

Find reviews of it. Gamers Nexus did a review of the Peerless Assassin pretty recently. 

The TL;DR is summed up in this graph:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.cf576a0a044dea885438e7976fe3f7b0.png

The Hyper 212 generally performs between the NH-U12S Redux and the Scythe Ninja 5 going off of their review of that cooler as well. 

Yes it is a lot better, especially when talking about a 400W CPU. Realistically a chip of that power draw needs water cooling to have a shot of keeping it from thermal throttling under full load. 

Thank you everyone!

If the Assassin doesn't cool it down I'll have to dig into water cooling.

23 minutes ago, Mitch619911 said:

Thank you everyone!

If the Assassin doesn't cool it down I'll have to dig into water cooling.

Or dig into changing the case instead of rushing for AIOs really. Phantom 410 has a pretty old airflow design compared to modern airflow cases, and getting something like a Fractal Design Pop Air XL or 4000D Airflow, which would cost less than a 360mm radiator.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

43 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Phantom 410 has a pretty old airflow design compared to modern airflow cases

OP has the original Phantom which is even older than the Phantom 410

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

41 minutes ago, Vishera said:

OP has the original Phantom which is even older than the Phantom 410

Yeah but similar cooling structure. Also, why the fuck is this case goes from 60 to 200$ used?

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

2 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

especially when talking about a 400W CPU

There's no CPU today that consumes 400W unless you do XOC on it. LTT have gotten their 13900KS to 550W, but with XOC and their new chiller. An 11900k maxes out at closer to 250-275W if fully stressed, but in real life tasks, I doubt it will break 220W

2 minutes ago, DreamCat04 said:

There's no CPU today that consumes 400W unless you do XOC on it. LTT have gotten their 13900KS to 550W, but with XOC and their new chiller. An 11900k maxes out at closer to 250-275W if fully stressed, but in real life tasks, I doubt it will break 220W

Um, no.

power-stress.png

There are a lot of boards that run the unlimited power limits and/or adaptive boost out of the box, so it pulling over 400W at "stock" (motherboard defaults) is very feasible. The 13900K is the same way, it'll consume almost 400W on stock settings in multithreaded applications if power limits are disabled which most motherboards do at stock. 

11 hours ago, Mitch619911 said:

Hello!

I am having an issue with my i9 11900K.

Around 30% of CPU usage my temps are around 50c-70c but sometimes without high utilization my CPU jumps to 80C and sometimes 100C.

I only have Chrome, Discord, Microsoft Teams, DBever programs running, not a whole lot, no games.

I've cleaned my CPU cooler and case (Hyper 212 Black) and added a PULL fan, 2 fans now, push/pull on CPU cooler. My next step is to replace thermal paste.

Could my thermal paste be cooked? I know it was running at 100C for a good amount of time before I was able to shut it down and dig into it.

My case is under my desk but has space all around it, at least 1 foot of clear space all around it, it also has 4 case fans running.

Thanks for reading, any help is appreciated!

Try paste first. If that doesn't help, then the Peerless Assassin, DC ak620 or Noctua u12a are all top options. 

If that doesn't work, get a low-cost airflow case. 

If that doesn't work, your pet is sleeping in your case 😉 or your CPU is damaged.  😮 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

On 3/28/2023 at 9:05 AM, RONOTHAN## said:

Um, no.

power-stress.png

There are a lot of boards that run the unlimited power limits and/or adaptive boost out of the box, so it pulling over 400W at "stock" (motherboard defaults) is very feasible. The 13900K is the same way, it'll consume almost 400W on stock settings in multithreaded applications if power limits are disabled which most motherboards do at stock. 

Didn't know that the 11900K could pull that much, but thanks for educating me! My i7-9700 maxes out at "just" 170W with prime95, but neither my cooler, nor my non-cooled 6-phase VRMs can handle that much